Start by marking “Formation of Character” as Want to Read:
Formation of Character

Formation of Character (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #5)

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Formation of Character is the fifth volume of Charlotte Mason's Homeschooling series. The chapters stand alone and are valuable to parents of children of all ages. Part I includes case studies of children (and adults) who cured themselves of bad habits. Part II is a series of reflections on subjects including both schooling and vacations (or "stay-cations" as we now call t ...more
Published October 1st 1989 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Formation of Character, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formation of Character

Summer
Oct 25, 2015 Summer rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy that Charlotte Mason has come into my life! This is the second book from her series that I have read (I've also read Vol. 1 Home Education)
This book is divided into four parts. Part 1 and Part 3 are must reads! Part 2 has some excellent ideas and quotes. Part 4 was referencing a lot of Victorian books and people that I was not familiar with so it did not keep my attention. Overall, 5 stars, an absolute treasure!

Part 1 is a series of case studies. Instead of the author telling you "I
Deanna
Aug 11, 2010 Deanna rated it it was amazing
This book deals with the importance of developing character.

She says, "A woman's success in life depends on what force of character is in her; and character is to be got, like any other power, by dint of precept and practice." pg. 239

The early part of this book deals with stories that are devoted to pointing our character traits in ill-behaved children and how they can learn appropriate habits.

The thought is also presented that all of us have habits. However we need to ask are they habits that a
Lara
May 21, 2010 Lara rated it it was amazing
I read the Charlotte Mason Home Companion a couple years ago and it was nice but a friend of mine forced me to buy the original series of six books written by Charlotte and now she is forcing me to read them and I couldn't be more grateful because they are excellent! I started with book five, Formation of Character, and it's helping me so much with my children.

This book would be good for any parent to read, not just homeschoolers. I hope I like the rest of the series as much.
Ali
Jan 07, 2009 Ali rated it really liked it
Book 5 of Charlotte Mason's six-volume education series. This book gives several "short stories" in the first half of the book which serve as anecdotes for Ms. Mason's philosophies on education and discipline. A great book for those wishing to bring up their children in a respectful manner, and who want their children to have a life-long love of learning.
Amanda
Oct 27, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: abandoned-2012
Just a note: I didn't have time to finish this book before returning it to the library, but I want to finish it sometime soon.
Clay
Clay marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Mandy
Mandy added it
Apr 11, 2016
Cecilia O'Neal
Cecilia O'Neal is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Candiss West
Candiss West marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Brenda
Brenda added it
Feb 02, 2016
Ayatz
Ayatz marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Sally Chong
Sally Chong marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Lindsey Alexander
Lindsey Alexander marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Taryn Irby
Taryn Irby marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Walkwallfall
Walkwallfall marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Kristen Page
Kristen Page marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Marianne
Marianne is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling (6 books)
  • Home Education
  • Parents and Children
  • School Education: Developing A Curriculum (Homeschooler Series)
  • Ourselves (The Homeschoolers Series)
  • A Philosophy of Education