Start by marking “Six Weeks to Toxic” as Want to Read:
Six Weeks to Toxic

Six Weeks to Toxic

2.31 of 5 stars 2.31  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Bess is cute and quirky, a struggling sound artist with a punk rock past and a penchant for pop philosophy. Maxine is a sleek, strapping journalist living the good life. Despite their different lifestyles, they ve been best friends for 16 years. New Year's Day 2000, where the story opens, begins with a headache and a hangover. Bess finds herself facing 35, single, struggli

Published October 28th 2007 by Key Porter Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Six Weeks to Toxic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Weeks to Toxic

Darshan Elena
Jun 01, 2008 Darshan Elena rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Racists and Post-Feminist Buffoons
All hail racist chick lit! Louisa McCormack writes on page 24:

"The cabbie was yapping away on a cellphone, contributing to what would no doubt by the vast incidence of cab driver brain cancer in 2025. We were keeping our floozy murmurs safely tucked well behind his Arabic chatter in case he was a proponent of shariah law and wanted us sluts stoned to death. Sometimes I though Maxi and I simply lived to be the diametric opposite of two females in the Saudi hinderland."

McCormack's Maxi and Bess
Claudia
Terrible! Don't bother even picking it up to read the back cover!
Mulva
Too Canadian
Brittany
Sep 27, 2010 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Don't know that I would recommend this one.
How I Came To Read This Book: Part of a birthday / farewell package from one of my best friends. Think she's trying to tell me something? Kidding!

The Plot: It's the turn of the millennium (cue up the Third Eye Blind) and Bess is feeling a little inadequate, with her 35th birthday just six weeks away. She's unbelievably single, still at the junior tier of her career as a foley artist, and living in a rented apartment with a landlord that happens to be her best friend - a polished if slightly inse
Margaret B.
Kimia
OH GOD. There are some books that I struggle with, but I couldn't stop putting this book down. The writing is mediocre at best, but the plotline is pure shit. As I was staring in disbelief at what the author merely spewed onto the page, I thought to myself "Who allowed this to be published?".

The only reason why I'm giving it one star is because this author actually found someone to publish this crap.
Joanne
This book wasn't much. I couldn't relate to Maxi as a person at all. It seemed to me like Bess just trailed along in her wake doing whatever pleased Maxi. The story galloped along, with Maxi chumming up to Tara, and Bess feeling hurt, then Bess gets happy and wham! The friendship is over. Weird! No one in real life would break up a 15 year friendship so abruptly. This book was just dumb (and poorly written as well).
Kricket
this book is ostensibly about the slow breakup of best friends in their thirties, but i actually found the breakup rather abrupt at the end of the book. sure, bess & maxine both had their quirks, and maxine was frequently insulting, but i didn't see the relationship as a total disaster until the final conflict, and maxine was really drunk for that, so who's to say it was that big of a deal? oh well.

full confession: i picked up this book at the library used book sale because it has pretty ti
Christine
If I could, I would give this book 2.5 stars. I actually really liked the premise of this book, I just felt the execution didn't quite work out as well as it could have. In the hands of a more experienced author, such as Emily Giffin for example, this could have been a really successful endeavor.

This book was set in Toronto and being Canadian, I found some of the Canadian references pretty amusing. That said, the rest of the writing style just wasn't quite there. The author liked to throw in som
Leah Fitzgerald
Apr 23, 2007 Leah Fitzgerald rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-lit fans
This book... I read it quickly, and it was a breeze, once I caught on to the strange rhythm to the writing. It actually pissed me off so much in the first chapter that I nearly gave up, but I was stuck with nothing else to read, so I stuck with it.
The story had its moments, but you know at from the beginning that the best friends will be no more by the end. The intrigue is in the sidelines, with the romances. And there are a lot of plot holes in the best parts.
Not the greatest book, but it was s
Lillian
I'm going to be honest, I was actually surprised I liked this story. I mean, I was intereted in the premise of the story, but when I actually went to read the book, McCormack's writing style turned me off. It wasn't even just that, because I felt like the premise that I was so intereted in wasn't even executed properly. (Boo!) However, when I ignore the supposed plot of the book, it's a surprisingly good story. I mean, Marcus was good, but the real gem of the story was Rocks and Bess. Whoo.
T
About a nice, loyal, quirky girl who gets dumped by her gorgeous, high maintenance best friend.
The author, who clearly has a graduate degree in English, tries rather too hard with her highfalutin adjectives and her clever references to critical theorists, but the book's a good trashy-ish read.
A much better book about female friendships is Elizabeth Hay's short story collection, Small Change.

Annette
May 13, 2009 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
I thought this book was completely hilarious! Talking about female friendship 'break-ups' hit home with me - I have been there a few times and it gave me some prespective. I love how MacCormack creates characters, they are witty and interesting. I also love how she describes life in downtown Toronto. I hope there are more like this to come.
Lauren
I need a 2.5 stars rating for this one.

It was entertaining but the storyline was somewhat lacking and there was no real follow through on the premise of "breaking up with your best friend."
Tracy
This book was pretty much terrible. The story was lame and it was poorly written. What confuses me most about the book is that the librarian recommended it to me...
Zainab
I thought this would an interesting and quirky read. I put it down 2 chapters in! It was written horribly, there was no depth to the plot whatsoever.
Shannon
I am really not into this book at all...yet something compels me to finish it. My OCD tendencies, perhaps?
Kristen Williams
Really weird book...the friendship breakup finally happened in the last ten pages or so.
Faiza Venzant
Fun for fluff.

The author's voice is pretty inconsistent throughout.
Lyndsay Leggott
Quick read! Just so-so for me...a little scattered & a predictable ending.
Courtney
Weird, weird, weird, weird, weird. Eloquent, right?
Monica
Slow story but great new look at chic lit
JoAnne Johnson
I concur with foster's two stars
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nicky Valenzuela
Nicky Valenzuela marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sheila MacKenzie
Sheila MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My mother taught me how to read when I was twenty-two months old so I blame her for everything. My marvellous Polish grandmother let me know what I was destined for in the most matter-of-fact way when I was around 13. We’d been entertaining a lively correspondence for years and during one visit she happened to mention, “But Louisee darling, you are a writer.” (McCormack is actually my middle name; ...more
More about Louisa Mccormack...
The Catch