Start by marking “Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:

2.7 of 5 stars 2.70  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Duty and Desire, the second book in the trilogy, covers the "silent time" of Austen's novel, revealing Darcy's private struggle to overcome his attraction to Elizabeth while fulfilling his roles as landlord, master, brother, and friend.
Published February 1st 1997 by Revive Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Desire and Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desire and Duty

Darcy's Voyage by Kara LouiseAn Assembly Such as This by Pamela AidanFitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star by Heather Lynn RigaudMr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda GrangeThese Three Remain by Pamela Aidan
Inspired by Pride and Prejudice
245th out of 248 books — 158 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenMurder & Matchmaking by Debbie CowensMargaret Dashwood and the Enchanted Atlas by Beth DeitchmanMary Bennet and the Bloomsbury Coven by Beth Deitchman
Jane Austen Inspired Titles
41st out of 48 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

K
Desire and Duty is Ted and Marilyn Bader's sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The story takes place between 1805-1816 and, to my suprise, focused on Mr. Darcy's sister Georgiana and her struggles between desire and duty.

My review- I thought the story, character portrayals, and writing were true to the style of Austen. Besides that, I thought the story boring and not worth reading. Instead of focusing on Georgiana, I found myself wanting to know more about Darcy and Elizabeth and their
Carol Perrin
Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

This was not the greatest sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice that I've read. I enjoyed that this story delved into more about Georgiana, but was a bit annoyed with the way Elizabeth and Darcy were portrayed. Most of Elizabeth's wit and outspoken thoughts and words were missing, and Darcy's pleasant mien was a little hard to believe. So unbelievable, I half expected to see Wickham invited to Pemberley. The fact that Elizabeth
Victoria
This is a P&P sequel that is focused on Georgiana and the nearly star-crossed love she has with her neighbour Thomas. I found it a bit dry, especially compare to other sequels. Part of that may be because I'm not a big fan of Georgiana focused sequels.

There's a bit of religious moralizing in the story, as well, which reminds me of "Conviction" another Georgiana sequel. If you liked that story then you should like this one as well. I didn't find that the religious component fit as well as it
Cary
IT was Ok but not stellar. I can tell I did not hate it as I continued reading but I did not love it as I took a week or two to read it! I haven't read one continuation of the Pride and Prejudice story that I have liked yet and I have read a few. Although there was a set of books that took the exact story and told it form Darcy's point of view which I did find interesting.
Sally
I really enjoyed reading this particular sequel to "Pride and Prejudice". The authors followed Jane Austins ideas she left for the continuation of P&P. If you enjoyed reading P&P or seeing the movie, you will definitely enjoy this book!!
Mary
This book might have been passable if it had been noted the reading level was geared toward elementary students. I just could not get past the awful writing to even care enough about the story.
Danielle
I really liked the story. It's just that there was too much dialogue, and there were some points when I thought the wording wasn't quite right. Otherwise, though, it was pretty good.
Mokamonkey
This is one of many sequels to Pride and Prejudice written by amateur writers. It was mediocre, but still kind of interesting to see how others see Elizabeth and Darcy's future.
Janet Petrucha
I thought it was a good read. Nothing earth shaking but an light easy read. I have it to my daughter to read. I hope she likes it.
Anita Williamson
This wasn't one of the better fan fiction books on Pride and Prejudice. Ok though.
Emerson
Emerson marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Debbie Fortin
Debbie Fortin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Anne Lowry
Anne Lowry marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Sarah Hine
Sarah Hine marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Katelyn Bair
Katelyn Bair marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Laura Hartness
Laura Hartness marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014