Start by marking “Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:

Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Duty and Desire, the second book in the trilogy, covers the "silent time" of Austen's novel, revealing Darcy's private struggle to overcome his attraction to Elizabeth while fulfilling his roles as landlord, master, brother, and friend.
Published February 1st 1997 by Revive Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Desire and Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desire and Duty

K
Apr 13, 2008 K rated it did not like it
Desire and Duty is Ted and Marilyn Bader's sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The story takes place between 1805-1816 and, to my suprise, focused on Mr. Darcy's sister Georgiana and her struggles between desire and duty.

My review- I thought the story, character portrayals, and writing were true to the style of Austen. Besides that, I thought the story boring and not worth reading. Instead of focusing on Georgiana, I found myself wanting to know more about Darcy and Elizabeth and their
Victoria
Jun 23, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: austen, reviewed
This is a P&P sequel that is focused on Georgiana and the nearly star-crossed love she has with her neighbour Thomas. I found it a bit dry, especially compare to other sequels. Part of that may be because I'm not a big fan of Georgiana focused sequels.

There's a bit of religious moralizing in the story, as well, which reminds me of "Conviction" another Georgiana sequel. If you liked that story then you should like this one as well. I didn't find that the religious component fit as well as it
Carol Perrin
Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

This was not the greatest sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice that I've read. I enjoyed that this story delved into more about Georgiana, but was a bit annoyed with the way Elizabeth and Darcy were portrayed. Most of Elizabeth's wit and outspoken thoughts and words were missing, and Darcy's pleasant mien was a little hard to believe. So unbelievable, I half expected to see Wickham invited to Pemberley. The fact that Elizabeth
Cary
Feb 01, 2012 Cary rated it it was ok
IT was Ok but not stellar. I can tell I did not hate it as I continued reading but I did not love it as I took a week or two to read it! I haven't read one continuation of the Pride and Prejudice story that I have liked yet and I have read a few. Although there was a set of books that took the exact story and told it form Darcy's point of view which I did find interesting.
Sally
Jan 01, 2011 Sally rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this particular sequel to "Pride and Prejudice". The authors followed Jane Austins ideas she left for the continuation of P&P. If you enjoyed reading P&P or seeing the movie, you will definitely enjoy this book!!
Janet Petrucha
Oct 05, 2013 Janet Petrucha rated it liked it
I thought it was a good read. Nothing earth shaking but an light easy read. I have it to my daughter to read. I hope she likes it.
Danielle
Aug 16, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
I really liked the story. It's just that there was too much dialogue, and there were some points when I thought the wording wasn't quite right. Otherwise, though, it was pretty good.
Mokamonkey
This is one of many sequels to Pride and Prejudice written by amateur writers. It was mediocre, but still kind of interesting to see how others see Elizabeth and Darcy's future.
Mary
Jul 23, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it
This book might have been passable if it had been noted the reading level was geared toward elementary students. I just could not get past the awful writing to even care enough about the story.
Anita Williamson
Feb 19, 2012 Anita Williamson rated it it was ok
This wasn't one of the better fan fiction books on Pride and Prejudice. Ok though.
Lisa Ann
Lisa Ann rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Brenda Christiansen
Brenda Christiansen rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2008
Taradiddle
Taradiddle rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Dana Fisher
Dana Fisher rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2008
Cpence1
Cpence1 rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2009
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2008
Cheyenna
Cheyenna rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2011
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Barbara Carpenter
Barbara Carpenter rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2016
Mirela
Mirela rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2007
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2008
Melanie Clarkson
Melanie Clarkson rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2009
Imelda
Imelda rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Mimi
Mimi rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2010
ReadingAgent
ReadingAgent rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2009
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
  • Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • Pemberley Manor
  • Really Angelic
  • The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 4)
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • The Duke's Daughter
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Gerald and Elizabeth
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Darcy's Passions: Pride and Prejudice Retold Through His Eyes
  • Mr. Darcy's Dream
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)