Start by marking “Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings—And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally” as Want to Read:

Jennifer is a thirty-four-year-old bank manager. She’s managed her education, her career, her finances—and her customers’ money—but she can’t seem to handle this darn little chocolate in a shiny wrapper. . . .

Whether you’re drawn to chocolate, cookies, potato chips, cheese, or burgers and fries, we all have foods we can’t seem to resist—foods that sabotage our best efforts
Published June 25th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Food Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Food Seduction

Aug 04, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, it all comes down to oatmeal.

But first you have the name of the book: Breaking the Food Seduction. It sounds a little goofy at first, like a cover blurb on a checkout stand magazine. But Dr. Barnard has a real point: the reason it's so hard to resist, say, chocolate, or cheese, or (for me) that doughnut, has nothing to do with willpower. It's chemistry. We literally become addicted to the physical effects of components of these foods, and that leads us to crave them.

Dr. Barnard is caref
Michele Harrod
Oct 29, 2012 Michele Harrod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book has been a real eye-opener, in understanding the biochemistry that goes into the 'cravings' we have for foods that are so bad for us!! It's actually made me angry to understand how little options I have actually had in controlling my own appetite, when foods filled with opiates are being shoved down our throats (literally of course) but big food industries, and why we sabotage our good efforts so easily.

So now I'm going to take on some of these menu suggestions to free myself fro
Have Mercy Killer Reviews
I don't buy a whole lot of diet books or healthy eating books. My reading base is usually fantasy or science fiction, but while I was in Florida a couple months back they had Neal Barnard on public television, and I could not pull my eyes away from the television. The things he explained about differences in diets, the things you eat, and so forth, were so intelligent yet easy to understand. You just knew the man knew what he was talking about.

So, that's how I came about his books. This is the f
Kamilya Basyrova
эх, попала бы ко им не эта книга в руки два года назад, когда я начала увлекаться диетами... я бы избежала многих ошибок.
книга понравилась. написано легко, информация очень полезная. даны конкретные рекомендации.
вообще не ожидала, что книжка окажется с вегетарианским уклоном.
по сути , эта книга очень похожа на ту, что я читала до этого - полезная еда. но насколько меня бесила та, настолько же мне нравится эта. написано очень легким языком, читается влет, как художестаенная литература.
теперь о су
Tamara Evans
A insightful book providing information behind why people crave the unhealthy foods (chocolate, sugar, cheese,potato chips). The author also shows readers how to break their addictions to such unhealthy foods.
Aug 31, 2013 Rhea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall it was a great book. It presented so much "known" information in a new light. I can say it has me thinking differently about the life changes I would like to make.
Jul 07, 2011 Scmachado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months and my boyfriend has lost 35 lbs because of this book. Worth every penny.
Apr 19, 2013 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This book is absolutely amazing!

It lays out the fundamentals of why Chocolate and Cheese and other foods are so addicting and hard to stay away from. He also tells you exactly how you can get away from them.

My biggest take away was that is changed my perception of animal products and why there is so much misinformation out there about them.

There are huge government lobbies for the Meat, cheese, sugar and chocolate industry in Washington.

Also, by reading the book, there is a plethora of good in
Dec 08, 2013 Suphatra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book to be very valuable. I had read the popular "21-Day Kick Starter Diet" (a low-fat vegan manifesto about resetting your taste buds to healthier choices) and had tried and failed at the Kick Starter, though I did notice some benefits while I was trying it. So when I came upon another book by Dr. Barnard, I thought I should give his philosophy a second chance.

Breaking the Food Seduction reads very much like a prequel to Kick Starter. It gives you the context to what shapes his phi
Jan 30, 2011 Shanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite part so far is when Dr. Barnard says no one ever is stuck on radishes and green beans or needs help breaking the addiction from spinach.

This book has parts that absolutely resonate with me. I can manage to eat a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, salad and beans and fruit for lunch, salad and beans and fruit for dinner without a problem - but when the sugar comes calling (in the form of cake, cookies and pie of course), I answer right away! This book offers valuable suggestions for bre
Mar 03, 2014 Blanche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I've ever read, ever. I feel like I never have to read another diet/health book again because this one here is so comprehensive and makes so much perfect sense backed up with medical proof. I wish everyone would read this book. I got a copy from the library but I'm going to purchase it so I can share it with everyone I love.
This is a go-to book for anyone who wants to stop the sugar madness...and start eating healthy in a way that your body and mind want you to eat. It's written from a scientific perspective by a doctor and includes easy to understand research about why sugar is so addictive and keeps you coming back for more and more. It's not a fluffy, fad diet book - it's practical information that is backed by science and research.

The main piece of information to make this book worthwhile is that it takes 2 -
Sep 29, 2008 Rosemary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

It's about time for us to change our habits and most of all be responsible for the way we feed our children.

I won't say I will give up on my chocolate at all...that's my addiction...but red meat,dairies and all that white junk we think it's good (white rice,sugar,flour,etc.)I'm definitely making the effort to give up !!

Sep 22, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you know that chocolate affects the same opiate receptors in your brain as heroine. Do you ever wonder why you get weak at the knees when bread, sugary snacks, cheese, etc. becomes available? Certain foods really are like drugs.

Resistance is not futile. Barnard demystifies the connection between food and cravings.
Oct 02, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Of all the Barnard books I perused this one had the most recipes I actually made and liked. Funny how some of the recipes show up in multiple books and some books seem to have the least accessible and recipes I've ever seen - all by the same author. If I had to pick just one to own I think this one would be it.
Dec 23, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was chosen by the Weight Watchers Vegetarian message board. We read it as a group and discussed it every Friday. This book makes total sense to me. It affirmed things that I have found since I gave up meat, dairy, caffeine and sugar 10 months ago.

These suggestions work!!
Feb 23, 2014 Missmonicac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of nutritional books, so while I did know a lot of the info I read in this book, it's very good for reference and to have in one place. Good everyday sense and language and some yum recipes I'm looking into trying soon.
Similar to his other book, Food for Life- just updated. Again, promotes a vegan diet with good medical/ science backing. Lots of recipes and 21 day starter diet. Nothing new- but good reinforcement for me. Far more practical than many
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Frustrating book! The first part explains the biology behind the cravings and offers some insights as to why some cravings may be beneficial to our species. After all, if mother's milk didn't taste good to babies they'd be disinclined to put up with it, right? It's full of fun stuff about the opiate effect of chocolate and dairy products and sugar. He didn't include salt for some reason.

So after the fun stuff, here comes a chapter subheading: Is it Good to Break a Chocolate Habit? The answer he
Dec 23, 2015 Dianna rated it it was amazing
This book talks about why we fail at our resolutions to change the way we eat, and what we can do about it. Turns out it's not all about willpower after all: your body chemistry has a lot to do with it.

Perfect read going into the new year.

This book is written from a whole-food, plant-based perspective. (That means Dr. Barnard is wanting you to give up all meat, dairy, eggs, and most sugar.)
This is one of those books I want everyone I know to read. I want to give it as gifts (but I won't, because that would make me insufferable). While Dr. Barnard is a hardcore vegan, and espouses that philosophy throughout as the only way to be truly healthy, a stance I respect but don't necessarily agree with, there is still a lot to learn in here. Not just a treatise on why you shouldn't eat meat or dairy, this book actually goes into the neurology of several common, and highly addictive, foods, ...more
Dec 24, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Barnard's style -- presenting cited facts about what eating certain foods does in our bodies. Very accessible and well referenced. I'll be trying some of the recipes, too.
Jul 06, 2014 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michele's GoodReads review says it all.

And wow...opiates in the biochemistry of our foods. No wonder the cravings can be so difficult during times of stress...who knew!?
Oct 27, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Ellen show
Shelves: self-help
He definitely supports the vegan diet. I don't really have trouble with food cravings aside from chocolate and some sweets. (which never tempted me anyway until my 3rd child was born) Mostly I am taking to heart his talk about increasing fiber in our diets. I've started experimenting with this at breakfast time and I notice that I don't even think about food again until at least noon. Fiber is key to curbing craves and binging. He says aim for 40g per day. Good book about eating healthy. He also ...more
Emlyn Lewis
Really opened my world on mindless food cravings but tended to repeat itself constantly.
Why do books have to be too long? Get to the point in half the quantity
May 08, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm already mostly vegan, so much of the advice wasn't new to me and I was already following it. I did like being reminded of the health benefits of giving up meat and (especially) dairy. I also learned a lot about the importance of fiber, the over emphasis on protein in our society, and what the heck "glycemic index" means. I don't think I'm going to change much of what I'm eating, maybe I'll be more mindful of not putting so many fattening toppings on my potatoes and bread. Otherwise, against ...more
Lesley Looper
I read this book so closely to finishing Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers that I'm having a hard time differentiating between the two at this point! (arrggh!) Certainly, a number of ideas are similar, in terms of eating better, especially cutting out sugar. This book, like the other, had recipes in back which I scrolled through, since I don't generally go back to recipes in books read on my Kindle app.
Alli Vale
Feb 03, 2015 Alli Vale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful read for anyone who has ever felt completely over-powered by a food craving!
Nati Galbetti
Jun 18, 2013 Nati Galbetti rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing. It has an expert's advice on how to change your diet backed up by reliable medical sources. The explanations in layman's terms of how foods affect us biologically were very interesting and useful. The recipes were what truly impressed me. Usually vegan recipes are either overly complicated or not that great but these were easy and absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to make a positive lifestyle change to a more healthy one. The steps ...more
May 26, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Madison Mega-Mara...: Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard 1 4 Apr 01, 2012 02:33PM
  • The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
  • The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
  • Healthy Eating, Healthy World: Unleashing the Power of Plant-Based Nutrition
  • Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian's Survival Handbook
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World
  • 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
Neal D. Barnard, M.D., is a nutrition researcher, author, and health advocate. As an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine, Dr. Barnard conducts studies on the role of nutrition in diabetes, obesity, and lipid management, among other health issues. His most recent clinical trial, funded by the National Institutes of Health, established the v ...more
More about Neal D. Barnard...