Cimarron

Cimarron (Vintage Movie Classics)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  29 reviews
1929. Edna Ferber, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Show Boat and Giant, gives us a ripping good read with Cimarron, the story of wandering Yancey Cravat, a pioneer newspaper editor and lawyer. Cravat settles in Osage, a muddy town thrown together overnight when the Oklahoma territory opens in 1889. To this place he brings his wife Sabra, a woman both conventional and well...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1929)

The Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckThe Past Never Ends by Jackson BurnettThe Worst Hard Time by Timothy EganThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonKind of Kin by Rilla Askew
Books Set In Oklahoma
7th out of 82 books — 26 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Oscar Winners-Best Picture
13th out of 59 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

K.M. Weiland
Cimarron marks the end (for now) of my excursion into Edna Ferber's works, and it embodies many of the strengths and flaws Ferber portrays in all her stories.

On the plus side, we have strong, almost painfully realistic characters. There is a demanding undercurrent of no-nonsense tell-it-like-it-is beneath Ferber's romanticism, just as there are startling cliche busters hiding behind the melodrama. In addition to her always vivid sense of setting, I appreciate her warty characters. They aren't al...more
Martin
There are two excellent film versions (in my opinion, some people don't like either version) of this novel, one in 1930 starring Irene Dunne and another in 1960 starring Maria Schell. They adapt the novel in very different ways, highlighting certain characters over others and changing events at will. This is quite easy to do, not to mention necessary, because the source material is a shambling mess. In the films, Sabra becomes sympathetic over time. In the novel, she remains fairly racist throug...more
L.A. Starks
While I loved this book for its sharply-observed history and situations--especially since it is set in the place I grew up, and then researched again for my second book, STRIKE PRICE--the late 1920s stereotypes are breathtakingly bad. I'm torn because Ferber has crammed so much that is witty and historically accurate into this novel, yet she shows no sympathy or fellow-feeling for her nonwhite characters. But at least she includes them--Osage, Kaw, Poncas.

Ferber has written about Osage County in...more
John Freeman
Ferber brings the west to life in this sprawling historical novel about Oklahoma—from the Land Rush of 1889, through statehood, to the 2nd oil boom. Set in fictional Osage, Cimarron is the story of Sabra and Yancey Cravat, whose relationship could be seen as a metaphor for the settling and taming of the Indian territories.

Sabra, the main protagonist is a typical Ferber female heroine: smart, strong, self-sufficient, principled and independent. But she’s a tragic hero too, flawed with bigotry, na...more
Laurie Cockerell
Oh my, how I loved this little book! I had heard that the main character, Yancy, was based on Sam Houston's youngest child, Temple Houston - so that peaked my curiosity. While it is obviously not autobiographical - just loosely based on Temple - it is a wonderful story about the settlement of the Oklahoma Territory by those brave pioneer men and women willing to risk it all. I adored every second of this beautifully written, historic, and delightful novel. Can't wait to read more of Edna Ferber'...more
Sue
The book is very dated and politically incorrect especially in regard to the Indians. At first I thought the book was going to be about Yancey, but Sabra is the strong willed woman who carves civilization out of the red dirt of Oklahoma. I cringed when reading how Sabra thinks about the Indians that were forced to come to Oklahoma. However, I remember that as a child I heard some of this prejudice voiced. Despite her flaws it is Sabra who stays even when Yancey has disappeared again. Instead of...more
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
A novel about the early settlers of the Oklahoma territory, focusing in particular on an adventure-seeking lawyer/newspaper man, as well as his wife who molds the rugged land into a home. 1929.

I absolutely LOVED this book. Of all the sagas I've read, especially sagas of place, it's my new favorite.

Full review & other reading recommendations at Another look book
I liked the first half to three quarters of this book better than the ending. That seemed less realistic to me, although I understood it. The book is about a woman who had been raised with southern traditions but married a man who was crazy about the expanding West and wanted to be involved in all aspects of it. They had two children but moved to a brand new shanty town and helped build it up - they ran the newspaper. Her husband kept running off so she ran the newspaper, unheard of in those tim...more
Cindy
Liked it... think I'll read some of the other classics she's written as well :)
Kristen
Pioneering the frontier of Oklahoma, Yancey and Sabra Cravat enter the territory after the Run of 1889. Although Yancey, who opens a newspaper and law office in the fictional town of Osage, near the Osage Indian Reservation, is a character bigger than life, it is his wife who remains tied to the land and carves a life for herself and family out of the harsh forbidding plains. A story reminiscent of Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner, without the hard to read stream of conscious writing style.
Claudia Reinfelds
"A little purplish bubble rose to his lips, and she wiped it away with her fine white handkerchief, and another rose to take its place."

I read this book when in 8th grade, taking Oklahoma history. The above line was what I remembered about this book. Rightly so, it was a fine ending to a fine tale. I reread it to review the Oklahoma history so well told here, since I am again an Oklahoman. Next I am going to find the old movie, as I have not seen that since 8th grade either.
Stephanie
What I really like about Edna Ferber's books is that they are concretely located in specific places and times and, when possible, she has gone to those places to talk to people. This brings her books alive, because the way that people talk and act seems particular to that space/time location, whether it is the settling of Oklahoma (as in Cimarron), Texas oil country (Giant, Wisconsin lumberjacks (Come and Get It), or pre-statehood Alaska (Ice Palace).
Jeffrey
This is a great book. I didn't want it to end. I look forward to read more of Edna Ferber's works!
Elaine
Yes, I'm reading it. No, it's not Shakespeare. Somehow, though, I'm prevented by putting it aside by my desire to find out WHAT HAPPENS.

Later....Well, I found out what happened. Sigh, another unsatisfying ending--I'd hoped for better from Edna Ferber. I just don't believe Sabra morphed into a cool, tolerant person. Or that Yancey appeared out of nowhere to save lives and die while doing it.
Robin
I was introduced to these characters as a short story in the 7th grade. Our class was so enthralled with it; the teacher told us that it was an excerpt from a book. We begged to read it – and she adjusted the curriculum to accommodate it. I am quite sure that I read it at least six times during my high school years. Loved the story, the characters and the history lesson.
Raphaelle
I don't read many Westerns. I did like this book but it made me sad. Great descriptions of the prejudices of the era.
Elaine
I was amazed at the vocabulary used--I don't usually find myself needing a dictionary. The book was amusing in that, the sophisticated vocabulary didn't match, at all, the setting. Very interesting description of that era, in that place. I learned a lot of history.
Jackson Burnett
Ferber begins Cimarron very slowly, but it's worth wading through to get to the rest of the novel. An overly romantic portrayal of the settling of Oklahoma, the book is still a part of the canon of the Old West and should be approached as such.
Melissa
I don't know if Edna Ferber is not an author to read all in a row, or if I just hit very similar novels in Giant and Cimarron. They're both good stories, but back-to-back was a bit too much of Texas/Oklahoma for my blood.
Katie Hilton
Very good. A classic about the settling of the Oklahoma Territory with larger-than-life characters and a wonderful (though somewhat intractable) pioneer feminist.
Judi/Judith Riddle
Another of Edna Ferber's Pulitzer prize winners that I read years ago.
Fredrick Danysh
A multi-generational family tale set in Oklahoma. It addresses the events of different family members. There is some mild romance.
Leila McGrath
1929. Never knew the history of Oklahoma was so fascinating. Scenes from this book have stayed with me since. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Marsha Ward
This is one of the first Western books I remember reading. It left some images with me that I'll never lose.
Care
I read this for the Lit Flicks Challenge. (maybe I should make this one of the shelves???)
Kaitlynn Thomson
I really enjoyed this book! you should all read it or read the summary of the book
Linda
Apr 05, 2011 Linda added it
It's time to read this one again so I can give it some stars :)
Rosalie
Reason for Reading_ Read it after reading Giant
Ken
One of my early favorite novels.
Linda
Rich tale of the Western land rush.
  • Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)
  • The Rains Came
  • Dragon's Teeth
  • Northwest Passage
  • Seventeen
  • Ramona
  • The Fields
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • The Big Sky
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Giants in the Earth: A Saga of the Prairie
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
  • The Winter People
  • The Third Sister: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
  • Sal Mineo: A Biography
  • Doris Day: Her Own Story
  • John Brown's Body
Edna Ferber was an American novelist, short story writer and playwright. Her novels were popular in her lifetime and included the Pulitzer Prize-winning So Big (1924), Show Boat (1926; made into the celebrated 1927 musical), Cimarron (1929; made into the 1931 film which won the Academy Award for Best Picture), and Giant (1952; made into the 1956 Hollywood movie).
More about Edna Ferber...
So Big Giant Show Boat Saratoga Trunk Fanny Herself