Start by marking “Sea of Glass” as Want to Read:
Sea of Glass

Sea of Glass

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A boy, who has known nothing in his brief life but love and darkness, forces open a window and sees for the first time the outside world, which also sees him: an illegal immigrant by birth. Arrested, his parents tortured to death, we see through Thomas Windom's eyes a race preparing to deal with overpopulation in the only manner left.
Published July 1st 2001 by Backinprint.com (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Sea of Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea of Glass

Stephen
5.0 stars. One of those rare books that has you thinking about it LONG after you are finished with it. Beautifully written but deeply disturbing. One of the best dystopian SF novels I have read. Highly recommended.
Dave Sunhammer
Mar 30, 2013 Dave Sunhammer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intellegent people
Recommended to Dave by: no one - shelf grab
It is amazing how many people read the words in this book, but missed the meanings.

"Sea of Glass" merges Orwell's "1984" and Azimov's "Foundation" in a very well written work. Extremely dark, vicious, and generally more applicable to today's world, Longyear exposes the truth that a 'Big Brother' and thought crime are not needed to oppress a people. Indeed, they can be oppressed without even knowing it.

People denounce the violence as gratuitous only because they cannot see its blatantly transpare
Robert
From the SF sub-genres of "the Big Computer runs everything" and "childhood horror" and "over-reaction to over population."

A mesmerizing beginning and the amazing ability Longyear has with words and characterization kept me going once the story delves into the lawless concentration camp for illegal kids. That segment of the story works best as extended metaphor for abused and neglected kids, those children who society would rather pretend don't exist.

Longyear certainly doesn't shy from detail,
Brian McDevitt
First read this novel about 25 years ago.
Can't believe how much of it had stayed with me.
Another novel which has disappeared due to the cold war being a part of the plot. Not that it changes the main themes in the book which are still relevant.
Excellent, thought provokng novel but one for the strong heart and strong stomach.

I'm not sure what I think of this book. The first three-quarters are quite different from the rest. Most of the story tells of Thomas Windom, a boy who became an orphan, called an Outcaster, when his parents were executed for unauthorized procreation, and the cruelty he and the other Outcaster faced at the forced labor camp. Then the story becomes a twist of his thoughts and counter thoughts as he tries to understand the world and his role in it. I found it difficult to parse out all the element ...more
John
Such a great and disturbing book. Survival of the species, civilization, population, politics, phychohistory. Awesome. This figuratively had me on the edge of my seat guessing where it was going and to think about the nature of morality. And it didn't end how I thought it would.
Allison
This book starts out as a rather disturbing story about how a society has responded to the problem of overpopulation. The book follows the life of Tommy Windom. Through each stage of the character's life different he becomes imprisoned in different ways: either within his home or a concentration camp or simply from his own fear. The story is not just a dystopia but also takes on the role of a modern existentialist novel that questions whether our future is predetermined (in this case, by a compu ...more
Fil
Needlessly graphic violence and a underdeveloped ending ruined a very good, if unoriginal, idea: "super-computer, seen and unseen, controls everything on Earth, what next?" storyline with a protagonist, Thomas Windom, struggling to determine if he is an independent (a?)moral agent or mere puppet. I could live with the violence not the denouement.
Edmund
I despise it when authors (or artists of any creative medium) feel it necessary to censor their words in order to cater to the social norms of popular culture. But the violence depicted in this book, I believe, was overly vicious and graphic, most of it completely unnecessary.
Mel
Viciously violent, graphic and packed full of moral and psychological questions. The ending feels a bit rushed and anticlimactic in comparison to the lead up. Had it an ending that matched the first part of the book, it would have scored higher.
Cody Ferguson
Absolutely amazing. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys dystopian literature. I picked this book up on a whim at my local used book store, and was so enthralled that I read it in one day.
Eileen Reeger
This book was shorted one star only b/c the ending was a bit of a let-down. Still, it was worth every second. I am planning on reading this author's other works.
Kelsey
This is truly a great book. Dark and horribly disturbing, it does well what 1984 and This Perfect Day only attempted.
Theja Putta
Read it a long time back. I remember it only vaguely now. But I seem to recall that I liked it then
David Agranoff
I read this many years ago but it is a quite good Science Fiction novel.
Johanna
Interesting and clever but extremely disturbing and violent.
Lisa
Aug 04, 2008 Lisa added it
Read ??/??/??
Michael Brooks
Michael Brooks marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
David
David added it
Mar 23, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Soldiers helping children in concentration camp 1 1 Jul 17, 2013 01:52PM
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • The Humanoids
  • Fugitive X (Revolution 19, #2)
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #1)
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • Brother Termite
  • Crater (Helium-3, #1)
  • Dark as Day (Cold as Ice, #3)
  • Realtime Interrupt
  • Robot Uprisings
  • Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 4)
  • The Book
  • The Last Canadian
  • House of Reeds
  • Ancient My Enemy
  • A Different Light
  • Medea: Harlan's World
  • Pick-Up Game: A Full Day of Full Court
Barry is the first writer to win the Hugo, Nebula, and John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer all in the same year, for Enemy Mine. In addition to his acclaimed Enemy Mine Series, his works include the Circus World and Infinity Hold series, SF & fantasy novels, recovery and writing instruction works, and numerous short stories. He has just completed the first novel in his Redcliff Series, ...more
More about Barry B. Longyear...
Enemy Mine Circus World City of Baraboo The Enemy Papers Elephant Song