Sea of Glass

Sea of Glass

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A boy, who has known nothing in his brief life but love and darkness, forces open a window and sees for the first time the outside world, which also sees him: an illegal immigrant by birth. Arrested, his parents tortured to death, we see through Thomas Windom's eyes a race preparing to deal with overpopulation in the only manner left.
Published July 1st 2001 by Backinprint.com (first published 1987)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins1984 by George OrwellThe Giver by Lois LowryDivergent by Veronica RothBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
453rd out of 1,771 books — 15,232 voters
1984 by George OrwellThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Dystopia!
486th out of 642 books — 1,790 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
5.0 stars. One of those rare books that has you thinking about it LONG after you are finished with it. Beautifully written but deeply disturbing. One of the best dystopian SF novels I have read. Highly recommended.
Dave Sunhammer
Mar 30, 2013 Dave Sunhammer rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: intellegent people
Recommended to Dave by: no one - shelf grab
It is amazing how many people read the words in this book, but missed the meanings.

"Sea of Glass" merges Orwell's "1984" and Azimov's "Foundation" in a very well written work. Extremely dark, vicious, and generally more applicable to today's world, Longyear exposes the truth that a 'Big Brother' and thought crime are not needed to oppress a people. Indeed, they can be oppressed without even knowing it.

People denounce the violence as gratuitous only because they cannot see its blatantly transpare...more
Robert
From the SF sub-genres of "the Big Computer runs everything" and "childhood horror" and "over-reaction to over population."

A mesmerizing beginning and the amazing ability Longyear has with words and characterization kept me going once the story delves into the lawless concentration camp for illegal kids. That segment of the story works best as extended metaphor for abused and neglected kids, those children who society would rather pretend don't exist.

Longyear certainly doesn't shy from detail,...more
I'm not sure what I think of this book. The first three-quarters are quite different from the rest. Most of the story tells of Thomas Windom, a boy who became an orphan, called an Outcaster, when his parents were executed for unauthorized procreation, and the cruelty he and the other Outcaster faced at the forced labor camp. Then the story becomes a twist of his thoughts and counter thoughts as he tries to understand the world and his role in it. I found it difficult to parse out all the element...more
Allison
This book starts out as a rather disturbing story about how a society has responded to the problem of overpopulation. The book follows the life of Tommy Windom. Through each stage of the character's life different he becomes imprisoned in different ways: either within his home or a concentration camp or simply from his own fear. The story is not just a dystopia but also takes on the role of a modern existentialist novel that questions whether our future is predetermined (in this case, by a compu...more
Fil
Needlessly graphic violence and a underdeveloped ending ruined a very good, if unoriginal, idea: "super-computer, seen and unseen, controls everything on Earth, what next?" storyline with a protagonist, Thomas Windom, struggling to determine if he is an independent (a?)moral agent or mere puppet. I could live with the violence not the denouement.
Edmund
I despise it when authors (or artists of any creative medium) feel it necessary to censor their words in order to cater to the social norms of popular culture. But the violence depicted in this book, I believe, was overly vicious and graphic, most of it completely unnecessary.
Mel
Viciously violent, graphic and packed full of moral and psychological questions. The ending feels a bit rushed and anticlimactic in comparison to the lead up. Had it an ending that matched the first part of the book, it would have scored higher.
Cody Ferguson
Absolutely amazing. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys dystopian literature. I picked this book up on a whim at my local used book store, and was so enthralled that I read it in one day.
Eileen Reeger
This book was shorted one star only b/c the ending was a bit of a let-down. Still, it was worth every second. I am planning on reading this author's other works.
Kelsey
This is truly a great book. Dark and horribly disturbing, it does well what 1984 and This Perfect Day only attempted.
Theja Putta
Read it a long time back. I remember it only vaguely now. But I seem to recall that I liked it then
David Agranoff
I read this many years ago but it is a quite good Science Fiction novel.
Johanna
Interesting and clever but extremely disturbing and violent.
Lisa
Aug 04, 2008 Lisa added it
Read ??/??/??
T. Scott
T. Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Maciej Karwacki
Maciej Karwacki marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Rooze Just-Rooze
Rooze Just-Rooze marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kate Parker
Kate Parker marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Thom
Thom added it
Mar 09, 2014
Cdomin2
Cdomin2 marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Soldiers helping children in concentration camp 1 1 Jul 17, 2013 01:52PM
Barry is the first writer to win the Hugo, Nebula, and John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer all in the same year, for Enemy Mine. In addition to his acclaimed Enemy Mine Series, his works include the Circus World and Infinity Hold series, SF & fantasy novels, recovery and writing instruction works, and numerous short stories. He has just completed the first novel in his Redcliff Series,...more
More about Barry B. Longyear...
Enemy Mine Circus World City of Baraboo The Enemy Papers Elephant Song