Start by marking “The Other Side of the Sky” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Sky

The Other Side of the Sky

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,616 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Other Side of the Sky presents a glimpse of our future: a future where reality is no longer contained in earthly dimensions, where man has learned to exist with the knowledge that he is not alone in the universe. These stories of other planets and galactic adventures show Arthur C Clarke at the peak of his powers: sometimes disturbing, always intriguing.
Mass Market Paperback, 158 pages
Published November 1st 1959 by Signet (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of the Sky

Shayne
Mar 07, 2012 Shayne rated it it was amazing
This book gets 5 stars just because....

I found this book, as if dropped by God, lying in my path walking from the school bus-stop. I wish I could remember the year - early to mid 80's I suppose. It was the first science fiction book I read. I devoured each short story and wanted more. I cleaned out the meager Clarke collection at our library which led me to others. Herbert, Heinlein, Delany, the list goes on.

I later found out that it had fallen out of a neighbor's pocket on his drunken trek from
Isabel
May 30, 2016 Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
P. 181 - "And sinking into the sea, still warm and friendly and life-giving, is the sun that will soon turn traitor and obliterate all this innocent hapiness.
Perhaps if we had not been so far from home and so vulnerable to loneliness, we should not have been so deeply moved. Many of us had seen the ruins of ancient civilizations on other worlds, but they had never affected us so profoundly. This tragedy was unique. It is one thing for a race to fail and die, as nations and cultures have done on
John Everett
Mar 03, 2012 John Everett rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Contains at least two excellent stories by Clarke: "The Nine Billion Names of God" (later published as the lead story in a collection also containing "The Sentinel") and "The Star." Each may give you shivers at the end--the important point is made only in the final sentence--and "The Star" sympathetically evokes the plight of one man, a Jesuit priest, even achieving a kind of pathos. Time has washed away details of my early reading and probably entire books as well, but not these two stories.
Geoff
Mar 06, 2016 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another impressive short story collection from one of the masters. I put this right up with the 2 Asimov collections that I've read.

Sure, these stories mostly deal with space travel from the point of view of the 1950s, and can be horribly outdated. But they are still fascinating.

Highlights:
The Star (1956 Hugo winner)
Out of the Sun
The Songs of the Distant Earth
Refugee
Venture to the Moon
Mark Hodder
A collection of early Arthur C. Clarke short stories, which, initially, I felt to be incredibly dry and character-free. However, the style slowly grew on me, and once I'd got past the fact that I was being told rather than shown, the tales (some are little more than vignettes) began to grow on me. By the end of the book, I felt it had been worth it.
Paul Brogan
Oct 01, 2012 Paul Brogan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This collection was published the year I was born, 1958. Along with Isaac Asimov, such futuristic fare was meat and bread to those scientific geeks of my generation who were looking for a glimpse of the world of our adulthood.

However, perhaps I ought to have not read him again, like I should never watch the original Star Trek re-runs, with its cardboard sets and dodgy technology.

Nonetheless, I found it interesting how, on the one hand, Clarke was over-optimistic, while, on the other, he didn't t
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Précis This is a collection of 24 short stories by Clarke that have a space exploration theme. Some are very short - 3-4 pages, others are more typical and the final one is 38 pages. 12 of the stories are grouped into two very specific themes of six each. For all intents they are chapters in a longer story.

My favorites:

The Nine Billion Names of God - A computer maker is asked to supply their latest machine to a Tibetan monastery in order to compute all the names of God. When asked why the monks
Ashwin
Jul 02, 2015 Ashwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Other Side Of The Sky is the first work by Arthur C. Clarke that I've read now. It is a compilation of 28 of his earlier sci-fi short stories. The stories are all really short, each not more than 3-5 pages (except for the last one The Songs Of Distant Earth which is a long romantic one). The premises of the stories are quaint, some are even funny. The descriptions of our future space travel is quite simply brilliant in its simplicity and inventiveness. Infact, each story brings about somethi ...more
Raj
Mar 07, 2010 Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
A great collection of early short stories by The Master. I don't know that it says for his state of mind in the 40s and 50s and for that period itself, but there's an awful lot of apocalyptic stories in here. He destroys the Earth and/or mankind in a number of interesting and entertaining ways. Possibly his definitive collection, definitely recommended (some of the stories even have negative Arthur C. Clarke Points ;) ).
L.
Dec 31, 2015 L. rated it really liked it
Clarke is better suited to the novel, but he is also a brilliant short story writer. The Nine Billion Names of God, as everyone knows, is one of the best SF short stories ever written, and has actually led several people to carry out the exploits in the story in real life, so compelling is the idea behind it. Not to be overlooked in this collection, are such masterpieces as the chilling Wall of Darkness, The Star (which is also one of the best ever), and All The Time In The World, yet another gr ...more
Professorocallaghan
I found this book by accident. I never thought I would be interested in "science fiction" but this collection of short stories by Arthur Clarke convinced me otherwise. The stories are wonderfully detailed and particularly prescient for being written in the 1950's - before the public could imagine a computer.
Jeff
Nov 15, 2008 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Always have loved Clarke's short stories. This anthology contains "The Nine Billion Names of God," quite possibly his best short story and one of the Top Ten short stories ever written (IMHO).
Moejoo
May 13, 2016 Moejoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually what I read is The Collected Stories Of Arthur C. Clarke but it includes all of this book. I will be lessening some confusion here as I have done in my Cornell Woolrich review. The Collected Stories contains Clarke's life's work in the short story form covering the late 1930's thru the end of the 20th Century. I find that it is 75% quality stuff -- again, rare in publishing. These are all in one thick giant 600 words-per-page paperback and covers half-a-dozen separate books of short sto ...more
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Oct 15, 2012 Stephanie "Jedigal" rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: Dad's book
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Wow, realized my to-be-read shelf has a LOT of sci-fi, and a lot of short stories, and a lot of the short stories are sci-fi. Decided to work some in.... Will try to make a note about the individual stories as I go.

NOTE - SPOILERS!!!! (Although I intend to keep the De-tail level DOWN.)

2* The Nine Billion Names of God
Very short, ok. Maybe because I've run across similar ideas in other sci-fi before? Super computer helps speed mankind's completion of its "ultimate purpose" (per some Tibetan monks
Gordon
Apr 26, 2010 Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the following quote from the brilliant NY Times math puzzle website Tierney Lab that turned me on to this collection of short stories. Two engineers, George and Chuck, are making their getaway, having provided a group of monks with a computer about to finish printing the Nine Billion Names of God. The monks believe the creation of this list will cause the universe to end.

"…George swung round in his saddle. He could just see Chuck’s face, a white oval turned toward the sky.

“Look,” whispere
Sundeep
May 29, 2016 Sundeep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first taste of Arthur Clarke (discounting '2001: A Space Odyssey' movie) and I liked these short stories very much, especially the space travel ones. Would have preferred less of apocalyptic though ;)
C.M. Stultz
Mar 01, 2016 C.M. Stultz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Clarke's early-1950s stories, including two of his best: "The Nine Billion Names of God" and "The Star."
Robin Uy
Aug 05, 2014 Robin Uy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This sci fi compilation of short stories of Arthur Clarke will really make you laugh. He is hilarious!
Eric Wisdahl
Oct 04, 2008 Eric Wisdahl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to get into sci-fi, Any Fan of Clarke.
Shelves: sci-fi
This was an enjoyable collection of short stories, coming in at about 150 pgs and 14 shorts. I especially enjoyed this books two serials, The Other Side of the Sky and Venture to the Moon. Although none of these stories would be considered great literature, they are good quick reads, often with an intelligent punch line to finish them off. Also, remember the time frame that they were written (Between 1947 and 1957) and it becomes quite clear how much of a pioneer Arthur C. Clarke really was. I'm ...more
Wordwizard
Mar 18, 2016 Wordwizard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes whimisical, sometimes haunting or thought-provoking, always interesting.
Chad Olson
Stories of setting up the first geostationary global communications network.
Richard Waddington
Bit of a mixed bag, but generally good.

A few exceptional stories and a few so-so, the rest fell in the middle, somewhere.
Fate's Lady
Nov 08, 2015 Fate's Lady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
While the ideas that power these stories were often very intriguing, it's hard to miss that concept was Clarke's serious strong point, whereas characterization and plot structure were not very highly developed. Some of these were vignettes, some felt more like fleshed out stories, a couple were annoyingly sexist--which is to say, the collection is a product of its time. However, as an example of classic science fiction writing, it felt like it was worth the read.
Anna
Oct 13, 2015 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting enough short stories, but overall nothing earth shattering. It’s been a while since I read this book so unfortunately it’s not fresh in my mind, but I remember 'The Wall of Darkness' felt quite weighty and clever with its Mobius strip idea, it could have easily made the reader feel cheated but instead to me it felt like an “of course!” in a rewarding way. The idea of 'No Morning After' is comical in a Hitchhiker’s Guide-esque way.
Ginnz
Sep 22, 2010 Ginnz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Arthur C Clarke's short stories. They are well written with a kind of efficiency that grabs your attention and makes you think about the subject matter without becoming bloated or boring. These stories, although being classified as Sci-Fi are really (like all good Sci-Fi) stories about people set in a future context where space exploration or technology has moved beyond what we currently know.
Lord Humungus
Nov 21, 2010 Lord Humungus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to Arthur C Clarke and one of my favorite books by him; this book led me to read all the others. Some fantastic inspiring material, with a good mix of hard SF and good storytelling. Absolutely loved it.

I think I ordered this through my elementary school book club, one of the books that the bible-thumpers didn't forbid.
Ian
Feb 27, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
declis
Dec 27, 2015 declis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Eine nette Sammlung von Kurzgeschichten. Haben alle viel mit Mond-Kolonisierung und Forschung zu tun bzw. Menschen auf fernen Planeten. Eine etwas längere Geschichte gibt es ganz am Ende, diese hat mir auch am besten gefallen. Hat sich definitiv gelohnt!
James M. Madsen, M.D.
I read this in the early days of the space race and loved it. Some of the stories now appear a little dated, but some, curiously, are not at all. One of the latter, and probably my favorite story in the collection, is "The Star," which is not to be missed!
  • Tangents
  • Long After Midnight
  • Otherness
  • Patterns
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • Partners in Wonder
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...