Start by marking “Favorite Jane Austen Novels: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion (Complete and Unabridged)” as Want to Read:

4.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Threeof the author's most popular works — widely admired for their satiric wit, subtlety, and perfection of style — brilliantly re-create the provincial world of the early-19th-century English countryside, focusing, respectively, on husband-hunting mothers and daughters, the humbling of proud lovers, and the return of a once-rejected lover.
Published May 7th 1997 by Dover Publications (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Jane Austen Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Jane Austen Novels

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenLady Susan by Jane AustenMansfield Park by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Best of Jane Austen
58th out of 100 books — 7 voters
Beastly by Alex FlinnNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerPride & Prejudice by Jane AustenRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Flowers on Covers
279th out of 420 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela Blount
Feb 13, 2016 Angela Blount rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
In a really little nutshell...

The books in this trio are, understandably, the most popular of Austen's works. The relational aspects are deep, the family dynamics believable to the time and culture, and the prose is liltingly intelligent. The heroes, while not without flaws, stand out as unrivaled epitomes of steadiness and noble character. (In S&S and P&P, especially, the heroes display sacrificial and selfless natures that boarder on iconic.)

This reader's personal favorite of the bunch
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice:-

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." So the writer states right in the beginning.

That is because while this is assumed to be a romance it is really a very astute picture of society that transcends time and geography and social boundaries and cultures, and applies universally to any place where there are young women at an age ripe to marry without dowries to bring out grooms out of the woods
Robert
May 05, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
So much better than the movies and TV productions. What a lot of young ladies to remember: Lydia, Catherine, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane — not helped by the occasional Kitty, Eliza and Miss Bennet — plus Maria, Charlotte and four more little Lucases, Caroline, Louisa and Georgiana. I'm not sure whether there were any Philips children as well.I suppose with large families being the norm, people were used to remembering a lot of names and it is only surprising that there are only three Bingleys and two ...more
Susan
Sep 09, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Re-reading these amazing novels for the umpteenth time! This particular occasion was my Jane Austen Reading Group that is focusing this weekend on Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen novels are always fresh, witty,ironic and so elegantly written, but above all there is always a brilliant cast of characters. It is hard to choose between the humor of Mr. Collins or the vanity of Sir Walter Eliot or the charm of Elizabeth or the gentleness of Anne or the trickiness of Lucy Steele or the devotion of ...more
Dawn
Mar 21, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cr-book-group
I was really only trying to comment on Persuasion which I just reread for my book club. But goodreads doesn't have a nice cover picture for it, so I'll go with this. I like Jane Austen very much and it's nice to reread a classic once in a while. Occasionally I get impatient with a shrinking, overly modest heroine who doesn't speak up, set everything straight, and grasp her chance at happiness! But I have to remind myself of the historical setting and also that Austen had to spin the story out en ...more
Maggie Evans
Apr 29, 2016 Maggie Evans rated it it was amazing
I own this.
Julie
Aug 28, 2007 Julie rated it it was amazing
After reading all six of Jane Austen's major novels in sequence, Pride and Prejudice is still my favorite, but they are all worth reading again and again. I read Pride and Prejudice in one weekend and then watched the movie right after. Persuasion and Emma are both very close seconds however.
Tanya
Jul 31, 2009 Tanya rated it it was amazing
this was Laugh out loud material, but for some reason no one agrees...
WERidos...Or am i??? Oh well my point is that it's REAL good!!!!
By the way, i only read pride and prejudice (so far), but there wasn't the book itself...
Emily
Nov 29, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: awards-classics
I realized about a month ago that while I've seen every Jane Austen film ever made, I've only actually read Pride and Prejudice; a travesty that my final selections shall rectify. Let the Austen festival begin!
Aaminah Shakur
Nov 16, 2010 Aaminah Shakur marked it as to-read
sort of especially looking forward to this one because i have read P&P and S&S as well as seen movie versions of both (including Tamil adaptations!) but have not yet read Persuasion.
Kimberly Barlow Cook
Can't explain it, but I love Jane Austen. I have read all her books, as well as a couple of spin offs. My alltime favorite is Pride and Prejudice, although Emma is a close second.
Susan Kaye
Apr 08, 2010 Susan Kaye rated it it was amazing
I use the edition of Persuasion from this set as my writing companion. It has notes written on the pages and many, many sticky notes hanging out of the pages. A sentimental fave.
Karen Snow
Sep 14, 2009 Karen Snow rated it it was amazing
Sense and Sensibility: Though it was slow getting started for me, I enjoyed the book. As always with Austin, the characters are explored and I enjoyed the book overall
Valerie
Jun 17, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
I love the world of Jane Austen. I can easily relate to her characters and she is able to spin a romance in a way to leave you hanging on to every word.
Chliara
Sep 14, 2008 Chliara rated it it was amazing
All three of these are excellent books, very well written and are just barrels of fun. Charming and captivating, I recommend these to any reader!!
Kathleen
Jun 28, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Loved Loved Loved Pride and Prejudice! I'm just starting on Persuasion and haven't read this one before so we'll see!
Phoebe Cox
Apr 20, 2011 Phoebe Cox rated it it was amazing
all great books. just takes a minute to get into the languge and then the story becomes great.
Kerry
May 11, 2009 Kerry rated it it was amazing
What can I say....we ALL know my love for Jane Austen.
Will always be my favorites!!!
Dorrie
Aug 09, 2010 Dorrie added it
Who could possibly write a review of the greatest romantic masterpieces ever written?!
Feb 15, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Definitely has some of my favorite by Jane Austen.
Charity U
Dec 31, 2011 Charity U rated it it was amazing
I love my boxed set!
Stephanie
Classics, all!
kerry barrett
kerry barrett rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Amy Houck
Amy Houck marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Khadija Ibrahim
Khadija Ibrahim rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
kimberly lipovetsky
kimberly lipovetsky rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Amy Cap
Amy Cap rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Hema Padhu
Hema Padhu rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Keturah
Keturah rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Faye Dolan-Fuchs
Faye Dolan-Fuchs rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
  • Klondike Tales
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • Murder
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • House of Corruption
  • The Haunter of the Dark and Other Grotesque Visions
  • Cabbages and Kings
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...