Start by marking “The Middle Window” as Want to Read:
The Middle Window

Elizabeth Goudge

The Middle Window

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Judy Cameron is ever so bored with modern London and her glamorous, perfect life. Stifled, her imagination seizes on a picture she sees in a shop window, a picture of the Scottish wilds. It inspires her.

Strong-willed, she prevails on her parents and fiance to change their summer plans and head for cold, damp Scotland--sure that there she will find the freedom she craves.

Sh
Hardcover
Published by Aeon Books (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Middle Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle Window

Kathryn
This wasn’t quite what I expected. The blurb in my copy promised “The Highlands of Scotland and Skye are the background against which is drawn the romance of three people so linked together that time is powerless to separate them either from each other of their home.” I thought that descriptions of the Scottish Highlands and Skye would be lovely, and they were, but the rest of the story was rather odd.

The section labelled Book II was an improvement on Book I, and parts of Book II were quite inte
A disappointing EG novel--I can't believe I wrote that. I love Elizabeth Goudge and was thrilled to find a newly reprinted copy of this novel. It was one of her first, I believe and the characters were interesting but a bit one-dimensional and the plot was forced with a bit of a reincarnation theme/love story that I did not like. Parts of it I found a bit tiresome (sob!). Parts of it I found delightful. EG writes about nature and her characters with great affection but I could tell this is one o ...more
Ellen
May 03, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone tired of life as it is. It is an inspiration.
I have loved every Elizabeth Goudge book that I have ever read, but this one has haunted me since I read it. I used to own a copy, but through various moves had to let go of all of my personal library. I wish I still had a copy of this as I would curl up and reread it right now!!
Mary Stock
Mar 26, 2008 Mary Stock rated it it was amazing
This was written a long time ago, but the surpris ending is fantastic. It is a story of love, but not a "chic-flick" book. It has mystery and self reflection. Love this story. Often wish I could go to "The Middle Window" myself.
Katherine
I'm so glad I was warned beforehand that this was not one of Elizabeth Goudge's better books. Though she is easily one of my favorite authors I must acknowledge that even the best can fall off their pedestal on occasion and this was a definite stumble.

Goudge's writing is typically old-fashioned, even quaint, sometimes sweet or flowery, but also possessing a depth I don't often encounter in novels. There's substance to her characters and stories, often of a deeply spiritual nature. It's this mix
We love
May 24, 2015 We love rated it really liked it
This is a strangely beautiful story. Mysterious things happen to young Judy as she walks the streets of London. A inner longing for something different - a finding of herself. She wants something different from the status quo and desires to get off the social merry-go-round that has been all arranged for her. An interweaving of histories and lives in a remote glen in Scotland...questions of death, life, and the spiritual world. A secretive baird and an old worn-out castle. This book was a bit st ...more
Sherrill Watson
Jun 30, 2015 Sherrill Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why is it I find these 'lil 'ol books oftentimes the best???? This one wasn't published in America until 1967, written in 1922 . .

Well. Judy "connects" with Scotland, and with Ian Macdonald, despite being engaged to lightweight, insipid Charles. She drags her whole family to an obscure little house in Scotland where poor Ian dreams of putting an Utopia in the Highlands. And there's Angus, who is somehow a descendant from Angus of 200-odd years ago . . . okay, okay, it's fanciful, MAYBE silly. B
Marliss
Mar 27, 2010 Marliss rated it it was ok
I don't think Elizabeth Goudge believed in reincarnation. She was certainly a strong Christian. But this book is about reincarnation, and I don't recommend it. I think I read somewhere that later in life she regretted writing it.
Barb
Jun 25, 2012 Barb rated it it was ok
This is a rare negative review. Rare, because usually if I sincerely dislike a book, I will put it down unfinished and never pick it up again. Since one can't honestly review a book without reading the whole thing at least once, and spending some thinking time about it as well, the problem generally doesn't arise.

In this case I persevered with The Middle Window (though it took me numerous tries) because it is an early work by an author whom, for all her many flaws - purple prose, excessive senti
Alice
Jan 22, 2008 Alice rated it really liked it
Why is the middle window boarded up? What terrible thing came in through the middle window?

The suspense builds throughout this historical romance, written by Elizabeth Goudge, a particular favorite of mine. Back in 1935 Kirkus Reviews gave this book a starred review. Give the book a try, and you may be able to agree. The "paranormal romance" is popular these days, but was a fresher concept at the time this was written.

Judith Cameron, London socialite, happens to see three pictures in a shop win
Loyola University Chicago Libraries
Nov 19, 2008 Loyola University Chicago Libraries rated it really liked it
Shelves: beth
While aimlessly wandering the stacks one day, I came across a section of old books with mysteriously vague titles: The White Witch, Tower in the Mist, The Middle Window. I plucked the latter title off the shelf and dug in. I chose wisely: this is one of Elizabeth Goudge's earliest novels, and from what I've heard, fairly representative of her work. The story involves reincarnated lovers in the Scottish Highlands, and has some of the most beautiful descriptions of nature I've ever read. Though an ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Faith
Nov 01, 2015 Faith rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A headstrong, privileged young woman forces her family to vacation in the highlands of Scotland, certain that whatever she needs so desperately will be found there. Along the way, her story is echoed by a similar storyline taking place long ago.

I really enjoyed this book, for a few reasons. Firstly it features a strong but conflicted heroine on a search for the meaning of life, and secondly it has some lovely writing.

I honestly didn't care much about the storyline of the past coming back to hau
Diane C.
Oct 22, 2012 Diane C. rated it liked it
I was a bit disapointed in this book, it was dreamy and amateurish. Apparently her first book. A City of Bells was so wonderful, plot and characters masterfully managed.

On an extended stay with her parents and fiancee at a crumbling Scottish estate, Judy begins to realize she is the reincarnation of a noblewoman who lost her fugitive Scots Highlander husband in the war of 1745. And that his ancestor is the reincarnation of the husband.

And no, it doesn't quite work. Goudge's prose concerning the
Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer
No one writes nature the way Elizabeth Goudge writes it. She somehow makes you feel as if you are really there, surrounded in the beauty of it. She's really quite magical. Even though this particular story is extremely odd and a more than a little sad, she still manages to evoke those feelings of being deeply affected by living things: the landscape, the people, the quiet life of a small village. It's not my favorite of hers, but it was still worth reading.
Phillip
The Scottish highlands serve as a rough-hewn and primal backdrop to this tale that transcends the centuries including times of peace and times of war. This story of a young woman, restless concerning her current lifestyle, is drawn to redirect her families holiday at the beach to the above mentions highlands where events from two centuries earlier have a marked affect upon her. Elizabeth Goudge is able to keep her readers engaged in the binary tales of her novel.
Diane
Jun 02, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
I would give this one 3 1/2 stars. It is set in Scotland and is two books in one. The theme of this one is about a love relationship that is cut short and reappears at a much later period in history with two people who are drawn to each other. One is a descendent of the first couple and the other fills in for the partner. Again good, but not my favorite.
Marilyn
Jun 08, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book forty some years ago. I don't remember a lot about it other than it dealt with remembering a past life in Scotland and the Battle of Culloden. But they book has stuck with me for all of these years, and I'd say that's a book worth reading again.
Hope
Mar 24, 2016 Hope rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading, dud
The premise of this book was just plain silly. It was the first Goudge title that I ever read that I disliked. It made a lot more sense after I read Goudge's biography, which described her belief that love is stronger than death, enduring beyond the grave.
Feb 24, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Well, I didn't really LIKE it; the paranormal aspects put a damper on my enjoyment of an otherwise sweet little highlands-flavored romance. But it had some beautiful and/or amazing lines and phrases, as all of Goudge's writings do...
Nan
Jun 07, 2009 Nan rated it really liked it
This book has been a favorite of mine since my late teens. Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic, but the combination of Scotland and time travel/reincarnation was a really good read.
Gail
Oct 28, 2010 Gail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have always Elizabeth Gouge's books, but I couldn't finish this one. The characters didn't appeal to me and the story line didn't interest me.
Kerry
Jan 30, 2008 Kerry rated it really liked it
Scotland, utopia, bonnie prince Charlie, reincarnated love...can't get more romantic
Suzanne
Oct 26, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
A truly magical story. Poignant and heart rending.
Catalogermom
The Middle Window by Elizabeth Goudge (2008)
Wicca
Jan 05, 2013 Wicca rated it liked it
Time travel and Scotland... before Diana Gabalden
Marjorie
Feb 23, 2013 Marjorie rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, fiction
Not a particularly good example of EG'a writing.
Kathleen
Jun 11, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1991
Cassettes.
Amber Pohle
Amber Pohle rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
  • The Hills is Lonely
  • The Crofter and the Laird: Life on an Hebridean Island
  • King Hereafter
  • The Lute Player
  • The Market Square (Miss Read Series)
  • Wildfire at Midnight
  • Listen to the Nightingale (Madame Holbein's, #2)
Elizabeth Goudge was an English author of romance novels, short stories and children's books.

Elizabeth de Beauchamp Goudge was born on 24 April 1900 in the cathedral city of Wells, she moved with her family to Ely when her father, a clergyman, was transferred there. When her father, Henry Leighton Goudge, was made Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford, the family left Ely and went to Christ Churc
More about Elizabeth Goudge...

“And then I say to myself that we should believe in that which we felt when we were strong and happy rather than in that which we feel when we are sick and sad. Do you not think, Judith, that one is more truly oneself in times of joy than in times of sorrow?” 3 likes