Start by marking “Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!: Collected Essays, 1934-1998” as Want to Read:
Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!: Collected Essays, 1934-1998

Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!: Collected Essays, 1934-1998

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In the definitive work of his brilliant career, Arthur C. Clarke has collected his most prophetic nonfiction essays, lucidly demonstrating that he not only anticipated many of the 20th century's greatest scientific innovations, but he in fact helped to shape the path to come.From predicting the future role of geosynchronous satellites in his early pieces in the 1940s, to h ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!

Arun Divakar
Mar 18, 2013 Arun Divakar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you refer to a person who wrote : Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic ? On the cover of this book was a quote that fitted him like a glove : A prophet of the space age . This sounded a tad too exaggerated at the onset but the essays in this book proved to me that Arthur Charles Clarke did possess an intellect that could match up to this definition.

Written on a wide variety of topics and covering a span of close to seven decades are the articles in this b
Terence
Dec 25, 2011 Terence rated it liked it
Recommended to Terence by: Library booksale
I've already expressed my mental wrestling with Clarke and his writing in my review of Childhood's End here and I don't want to belabor the point, though it was reading these essays that led me to tackle that book.

Instead, I'll limit myself to pointing out some of the more interesting ideas that leapt out a me in this particular volume.

In "The Obsolescence of Man" Clarke addresses the certainty of the end of the human species and finds reason to be optimistic:

Can the synthesis of man and machin
Harini
Jul 14, 2015 Harini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the book completely, but the few sections that I read based on topics that interested me, were amazing. This book showed me that even non-fiction essays have the power to raise the imagination levels of the reader as much as fiction does. A good read, but I wouldn't be too eager to finish reading the complete book, given its vast range of topics and content.
Todd
Apr 15, 2016 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great look into the mind of one of the scientific giants of the 20th century, in a wide variety of formats, on a wide variety of topics over time. Pick and choose what interests you or read it cover to cover, there's a lot in here.
Charles Turek
Rather like reading a cross between George Carlin and Carl Sagan. When Clarke states the obvious, it is always "the obvious" that has never occurred to you before reading it on that page. It's the "I coulda had a V8" reaction every time. Clarke has the ability to look both extremely far back and extremely far forward in time and like what he sees in both places. If we ever invent a time machine - and according to Clarke we probably will - we will have to name it not for H.G. Wells, but for Arthu ...more
Siby
Feb 28, 2013 Siby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur C Clarke was one of the leading science fiction writers of the 20th century, right up there with Issac Asimov and probably with Jules Verne and H.G Wells from the earlier years. Though I have never been interested in science fiction, I liked this book, which is a collection of his non-fiction essays on matters of space, science, astronomy and philosophy. This book certainly opens your mind to a new level of thought process, going beyond the terrestrial.
Elaine Nelson
A mixed bag of odd little essays & fragments of essays. Didn't finish because it had to go back to the library; I wasn't loving it so much that I wanted to renew it.
Sean AKA Panky
Jul 15, 2008 Sean AKA Panky rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read it a long while ago, and enjoyed it during that time, but I think I expected more out of it then I got out of it.
Kim
May 25, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book. Good to be able to evaluate how his thoughts played out over time. I'd read it again.
Alex Skopic
Alex Skopic marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Captain Swissicorn
Captain Swissicorn marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Mocara
Mocara rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Steve Price
Steve Price marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Rana Sinha
Rana Sinha rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Rigui
Rigui marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Chuin
Chuin rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Danna
Danna marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Tim Robishaw
Tim Robishaw marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
HeikesLarry
HeikesLarry marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Laura Briskin
Laura Briskin rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Joe B
Joe B marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
  • The Faber Book of Science: Scientists and Writers Illuminate Natural Phenomena from Fossils To...
  • Fossils: A Very Short Introduction
  • Christianity and Evolution
  • Platypus: The Extraordinary Story of How a Curious Creature Baffled the World
  • The Future Eaters: An Ecological History of the Australasian Lands and People
  • Econometric Models And Economic Forecasts
  • Mosquito: A Natural History of Our Most Persistent and Deadly Foe
  • The Closing Circle: Nature, Man and Technology
  • A Chemical History of a Candle
  • Korolev: How One Man Masterminded the Soviet Drive to Beat America to the Moon
  • Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple : A Journey of Adventure, Ideas, and the Future
  • The Gorilla Game: Picking Winners in High Technology
  • Milestones of Space: Eleven Iconic Objects from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
  • Invertebrate Zoology
  • Rickenbacker: An Autobiography
  • In The Blink Of An Eye: How Vision Sparked The Big Bang Of Evolution
  • Other People's Trades
  • Digital Apollo: Human and Machine in Spaceflight
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...