Start by marking “Tales of Ten Worlds” as Want to Read:
Tales of Ten Worlds

Tales of Ten Worlds

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,556 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Fifteen stories by "our ablest practitioner of science fiction," ranging from the sinister rescue of a Sputnik and the Pacific to startling and amusing adventures on the moon, in a comet's tail, on Mars and Venus, and the rings of Saturn, and on the asteroid Icarus only seventeen million miles from the sun. The long concluding story, "The Road to the Sea," is set thousands ...more
Published by Gollancz (first published June 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Ten Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Ten Worlds

Stephanie
Nov 22, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 15 short stories - well the last one is really a novelette - ranging from humorous, to thought-provoking, to melancholy. What comes out clearly in this collection is the breadth of Clarke's story-telling ability, his unique way of pulling you into each tale. Most people who are not "sci-fi" readers only know Clarke by 2001 - A Space Odyssey but he is so much more than that.

I enjoyed every story but the following stand out:

Summertime on Icarus - Clarke's description of the
Martha
Oct 10, 2016 Martha rated it it was amazing
How did I live this long without reading Clark? He's the king of the killer final sentence.
Nile
Jul 16, 2016 Nile rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories from the master storyteller himself. The stories are varied and different and of course with the sparkle of brilliance that you can expect from Arthur C. Clarke. A good read for anyone and a must read for sifi fans.
Ana Silva Rosa
Originality: 3
Entertaining: 2
Emotional Reaction: 1
Intellectual Stimulation: 2

I didn't like this, ugh.
Eddie Villanueva
Apr 12, 2015 Eddie Villanueva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Some pretty cool short stories about space and sci-fi stuff.
Hernan Garcia
Jan 15, 2017 Hernan Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La primera vez que leí ciencia ficción clásica, fue con el libro El fin de la infancia, de Arthur C. Clarke. Hasta el día de hoy, diría que si uno quiere empezar a comprender como es que la ciencia ficción llego a ser lo que es, tiene que leer ese libro.
Hoy, por suerte, también puedo decir que si uno quiere adentrarse en este mundo, puede empezar sin dudas por Relatos de diez mundos.

No es una sola historia, sino varias, contadas de la manera mas simple que la redacción lo permite (y ese es uno
Scott
Oct 05, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first taste of hard science fiction. Of course after that I was hooked for life! I think I was about 11 when I bought it. That was around 1973. I didn't know anything about Arthur C. Clarke, The title intrigued me (wow, 10 worlds for 75 cents!) and I liked the cover. It showed space suited figures floating in a pink void. What happened to all that great cover art? Anyway, even though many of the short stories were too mature for me, I still got a foothold into the genre and I'm still a fan 40 ...more
Rubén Lorenzo
Sep 17, 2015 Rubén Lorenzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi primer libro de Arthur C. Clarke. Me ha dejado buenas sensaciones en general, con relatos muy interesantes y otros intrascendentes.Por norma, el interés sube cuanto más páginas tiene la historia, excepción hecha del larguísimo y algo aburrido último relato.
Similar en su escritura a Asimov (sin llegar al nivel del maestro), tiene buenas ideas y una mente racional con las que plasmarlas.
Recomendable para aficcionados a la ciencia ficción.
John Isaacson

The opening story "I remember Babylon" blew my mind! I totally thought it was real. Arthur C. Clarke refers to himself by his own name as he narrates this story about meeting a man at a party who predicts the rise of television as propaganda and mid-control. Rife with historical references, this story seems more fact than fiction. Arthur C. Clarke is a storyteller of the highest order, not to mention a visionary.
Annelin Kristiane
Enkelte historier skilte seg positivt ut (den om den kunstneriske apen og den om liv på Venus f.eks.) men flere var småkjedelige og tok forever(seelv om det bare var korte historier, og de egentlig ikke var vanskelige å lese) å komme seg gjennom. Anbefales derfor bare for de som er spesielt interessert i klassisk sci-fi.
Daniorte
Aug 27, 2014 Daniorte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Relatos cortos bastante escuetos y bastante lights. No hay ningún relato que te marque y en todos se me ha quedado la sensación de "¿Y ya está?". Son cuentecillos para matar el tiempo entre esperas en determinados momentos pero ya esta. Me parece a mi que el relato corto no es para nada lo mejor de Clarke
Christi
Apr 01, 2014 Christi rated it really liked it
Even though we're not experiencing all the space travel that was referenced in the book for this time period, AC rarely disappoints. Some of those stories were thrilling, page turners! Thank goodness they haven't been ruined by making them into movies.
Jenna
Aug 07, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
Arthur C. Clarke's fifteen fantastic shorty story. The master of science fiction, and it will fascinate any earthbound explorer of the orbit. :)
Ron Stetson
Aug 31, 2016 Ron Stetson rated it really liked it
many of the stories are very dated, but what is important is the lessons contained in them
Charles
Jun 05, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Some of Clarke's work was done at the short story length.
Nick
Jul 26, 2010 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Great collection of sci-fi. "Hate", The one about Venusian life, and the one about a cute ol' dawg were my favorites though I can't be bothered to look up the other two names at the moment.
Ella
Jul 24, 2007 Ella rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SciFi/Fantasy fans
Shelves: arthurcclarke
I love Arthur C. Clarke's short stories.
Peter
Mar 19, 2011 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: arthur-c-clarke
Short stories not my favourite. Yet this science fiction has won me over.A master in his class.
Robin Gilbert
Feb 17, 2012 Robin Gilbert rated it it was amazing
"The Road to the Sea"; one of the best short stories I have read.
Miguel Torres

this is a very interesting book
Nithyanand
Dec 29, 2015 Nithyanand rated it it was amazing
An excellent anthology of his short stories. Not his best anthology -- those would be The Wind from the Sun, and The Sentinel, respectively. But this is still vintage Clarke.
Jake
Feb 26, 2009 Jake rated it really liked it
Kittens in space are terrifying.
Jesse Lambert
Apr 24, 2009 Jesse Lambert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Another great collection of short stories from the late great Arthur C. Clarke
Ian
Sep 06, 2008 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work.
adrianoates
Read some. Don't like short stories
Danny
Sep 30, 2015 Danny rated it really liked it
Make sure to read "Road to the Sea"
Dave Newton
Dave Newton rated it liked it
May 29, 2012
Rafkat
Rafkat rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Antony
Antony rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • The Terminal Beach
  • Artificial Things
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Trader to the Stars
  • Machineries of Joy
  • The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Holding Wonder
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...