Tales Of Ten Worlds (Gollancz)

Tales Of Ten Worlds (Gollancz)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  993 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This classic collection of short stories includes some of Clarke's finest work: vivid glimpses into the future, a year, a decade, a century, a millennium from now.
Published (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Tales Of Ten Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales Of Ten Worlds

Stephanie
This is a collection of 15 short stories - well the last one is really a novelette - ranging from humorous, to thought-provoking, to melancholy. What comes out clearly in this collection is the breadth of Clarke's story-telling ability, his unique way of pulling you into each tale. Most people who are not "sci-fi" readers only know Clarke by 2001 - A Space Odyssey but he is so much more than that.

I enjoyed every story but the following stand out:

Summertime on Icarus - Clarke's description of the...more
Originality: 3
Entertaining: 2
Emotional Reaction: 1
Intellectual Stimulation: 2

I didn't like this, ugh.
Scott
My first taste of hard science fiction. Of course after that I was hooked for life! I think I was about 11 when I bought it. That was around 1973. I didn't know anything about Arthur C. Clarke, The title intrigued me (wow, 10 worlds for 75 cents!) and I liked the cover. It showed space suited figures floating in a pink void. What happened to all that great cover art? Anyway, even though many of the short stories were too mature for me, I still got a foothold into the genre and I'm still a fan 40...more
John Isaacson

The opening story "I remember Babylon" blew my mind! I totally thought it was real. Arthur C. Clarke refers to himself by his own name as he narrates this story about meeting a man at a party who predicts the rise of television as propaganda and mid-control. Rife with historical references, this story seems more fact than fiction. Arthur C. Clarke is a storyteller of the highest order, not to mention a visionary.
Nick
Great collection of sci-fi. "Hate", The one about Venusian life, and the one about a cute ol' dawg were my favorites though I can't be bothered to look up the other two names at the moment.
Ian
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work.
Jenna
Arthur C. Clarke's fifteen fantastic shorty story. The master of science fiction, and it will fascinate any earthbound explorer of the orbit. :)
Peter
Short stories not my favourite. Yet this science fiction has won me over.A master in his class.
Mark Neumayer
Good stuff but feels a touch dated (all of the stories are from 1962 or earlier)
Devero
Raccolta di storie brevi, tutte con forti basi scientifiche, tutte ben riuscite.
Jesse Lambert
Another great collection of short stories from the late great Arthur C. Clarke
Robin Gilbert
"The Road to the Sea"; one of the best short stories I have read.
Charles
Some of Clarke's work was done at the short story length.
Ella
Jul 24, 2007 Ella rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SciFi/Fantasy fans
Shelves: arthurcclarke
I love Arthur C. Clarke's short stories.
Jake
Kittens in space are terrifying.
Miguel A
Miguel A marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Polli
Polli added it
Sep 19, 2014
Wvanruth
Wvanruth marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
D.c.thornton
D.c.thornton marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Marius
Marius marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Miguel Escalante
Miguel Escalante marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Michael Moore
Michael Moore marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Machineries of Joy
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • Eye
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1)
  • The Preserving Machine
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co...more
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise