Start by marking “The Wind From the Sun” as Want to Read:
The Wind From the Sun

The Wind From the Sun

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,520 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A volume containing all 18 short stories written by Arthur C. Clarke in the 1960s. They depict a future in which technologies are beginning to dictate man's lifestyle - even to demand life for themselves.
Contents

vii • Preface (The Wind from the Sun) • (1972) • essay by Arthur C. Clarke
3 • The Food of the Gods • (1964) • shortstory by Arthur C. Clarke
8 • Maelstrom II • (196
Paperback, GOLLANCZ S.F., 193 pages
Published September 1996 by Vista (first published April 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind From the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind From the Sun

Debbie Zapata
Jul 15, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturday
In the preface to this book, Clarke states that all of the short stories he wrote in the 60's (and three from the early 70's) are included. There are 18 stories here, most of them quite short but all packing a punch as relevant today as back in the Space Age when they were written.

We spend time in deep space, in the deeps of Earth's oceans, and deep within Clarke's amazingly creative imagination. He asks What If? about many topics, and builds answers that make you think.

What If a newly installe
n* Dalal
May 27, 2010 n* Dalal rated it liked it
I think I'd like Arthur C. Clarke a lot better if he admitted women exist.

Most of these stories were good, but even the good ones had a real dated 70's smell to them, not only because of the many references to the Cold War.

But also because he's just such a classic sci-fi writer, who uses sci-fi to, you know, expose the problems of our current world. Self-righteous, indulgent, and defiantly against the ills in society. Especially racism. Sexism? Well, women like to be wives and wait and worry ab
;-Dave Pierce
May 14, 2012 ;-Dave Pierce rated it it was amazing
This book is an oldie but goodie! I first read a couple of the short stories in Boy's Life Magazine back in the 60's. It was great seeing those, and reading some of the great late Master's works. If you see it somewhere, check it out. ;-D
Dave Creek
Apr 23, 2015 Dave Creek rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SF fans, Arthur C. Clarke fans
THE WIND FROM THE SUN brings more sense of wonder from Arthur C. Clarke
OK, maybe I'm on a real Arthur C. Clarke kick right now. But after all, he is my favorite SF author, perhaps my favorite author, period.

THE WIND FROM THE SUN is a collection of short stories, some of them trivial, others full of the sense or wonder that Clarke seemingly evoked so easily.

I didn't re-read this entire volume, instead I concentrated on the more substantial stories. The title story, "The Wind from the Sun," is a
Sam
Aug 05, 2016 Sam rated it liked it
Short stories -- many of them are very short. Most of the stories are exploring a single scientific idea or futuristic speculation. Some of my favorite include:

The Food of The Gods. Describes veganism taken to extremes. Disgusting.

Maelstrom II. A traveler from the moon to the earth faces impending death when his rail gun launcher fails.

The Wind From the Sun. Sailplaning on sunlight. Plus, the perils of sunspots. (Both aspects illustrate how far ahead Arthur C. Clark was ahead of most scientific
Skylar
Aug 06, 2016 Skylar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Arthur C. Clarke proves a master of hard science fiction: believable stories that at the same time are at the edge of imagination. My two favorite stories in this collection were the namesake Wind From The Sun (a story of humanity committing one of its own creation to the stars, foreshadowing the Pioneer and Voyager plaques), and Meeting with Medusa (a story of exploration and wonder in a strange yet familiar environment).
Bad-at-reading
Clarke essentially writes about inventions. At his best these inventions seem just around the corner. The titular story, probably the best of the collection, is a classic example: the conflict is simple, the stakes are low, the characters cardboard, but the central concept is made so easy to understand, explained in terms of one proven scientific fact, that it becomes very hard not to believe.

There are some real duds in here (the shorter ones, and particularly "Love This Universe", are often pre
 ٩(๑`^´๑)۶
Basically as light as light reading gets, this collection of short stories is uneven by design. All were written by Clarke during the 60's, most being published in magazines ranging from specialty sci-fi titles to Boys' Life and Playboy. While there are stellar science fiction ideas throughout, many are little more than just that - a brief establishment of a concept. There are a few stories in the 20-page range, and the collection ends with the wonderful 40-page “A Meeting With Medusa,” but many ...more
Lutfi Turan
Jan 11, 2015 Lutfi Turan rated it really liked it
A good collection of hard science fiction stories. Most of the stories are based on future expeditions of the solar system, which was one of the biggest focus of attention of the world at the time the book was written.
For me "Crusade", which deals with the idea of cybernetic intelligence existing naturally somewhere in the universe, and "A meeting with Medusa", a long short story of a Jupiter expedition, were the strong stories of the book. Arthur Clarke is not only a writer and also a science
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Le meduse di Giove s'incontrano col primo uomo che arriva sull'inospitale pianeta; un anziano professore inventa il congegno che elimina la gravità e lo usa per scalare l'Himalaya; un pericoloso segreto si nasconde nell'atmosfera della Luna; un super cervello artificiale fa squillare i telefoni del mondo intero: questi alcuni dei temi sviluppati nei diciotto racconti che compongono Vento solare. Arthur Clarke, uno dei più prestigiosi scrittori-scienziati della fantascienza, ha raccolto in questa ...more
Kim
Mar 15, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2016
This is a collection of short stories written by one of the masters of science fiction in the 1960's. Reading 50-year-old science fiction is more of a look into the past than a look into the future. One of the reasons I love science fiction is because it gives a writer a way to explore social issues without addressing them straight on--making them more accessible to people. I found it interesting that in the 1960's this author found ways to question such hot topics as: are the Russians really ev ...more
Elgaroo Brenza
Oct 16, 2007 Elgaroo Brenza rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: realistic ET buffs and classic "space age" sci-fi fans.
Shelves: sci-fi
a collection of Clarke's short sci-fi stories from the 60's; largely short, scientifically detailed, "hard" sci-fi stories still focusing on the human element, with many inventive twist-endings, but still fairly unremarkable, especially considering his novels. however, the final story, "A Meeting with Medusa" is much longer and obviously much more ambitious, thoroughly researched, masterfully executed, a masterpiece in fact, and still by far the most in depth description of actual Jovian explora ...more
Gorana
Jan 26, 2012 Gorana rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, own, 2012
Not among Clarke's best work, still, a very fine collection of short stories.
It's always such a treat to read intelligent sf written by an actual scientist,
especially one as good and imaginative as Clarke. Mainly because there are many things that would easily be overlooked by someone who is not so familiar with actual physical laws, also because someone who does scientific research would be more inclined to observe and question negative consequences of scientific revolutions and discoveries on
Andrea
Jul 03, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I never really got into Arthur C. Clarke in my early days of voracious sci fi reading. I always preferred monsters and magic really, and the writing style is plain, with the plot and the science & technology as the highlights. But this is a great little collection of short stories that surprised me with how much I enjoyed them. The few that play with race and history also surprised me, and the last story, "A Meeting with Medusa" about the massive and incredible lifeforms of Jupiter as witnes ...more
Guillaume
Jun 07, 2015 Guillaume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'aime particulièrement ce recueil de nouvelles, car c'est ce livre qui m'a vraiment mis le pied dans la littérature de science-fiction.

Il regroupe 18 nouvelles de l'auteur, toutes excellentes (du moins dans mon souvenir), et c'est le genre de livre que je recommande à toutes les personnes qui voudraient s'essayer à l'auteur. Cela regorge de bonnes idées et d'inventivité, et ça se lit très vite.
Gordon
Apr 26, 2010 Gordon rated it liked it
After my completely absorbing experience with Arthur C. Clarke's "The Other Side of the Sky", reading this collection was my attempt to delve even further into 1950s serial science fiction. It was a disheartening experience. While a couple stories were pleasingly imaginative (the title story in particular), the pattern of reducing every conflict to Americans vs. Russian communists was stamped too indelibly throughout this book.
Eric
Sep 03, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it
An intriguing collection of short stories some of which are rather classic (the titular story) with other beings more like extended jokes, with literal set ups and punchlines. Very easy to read, with some interesting concepts floating about. Not the most essential Clarke, but still a good read.
Kaethe
Sep 07, 2010 Kaethe rated it liked it
No recollection whatsoever. Could be good, bad, or indifferent. I'm wondering if this is a Spouse's book, since he's more old-school in his SF taste. In which case, we might have a copy on the shelf and I could pick it up and give it a look.

Or not. I just don't care much. I like Clarke more as a scientist than as a writer.
Matthew Royal
Oct 23, 2015 Matthew Royal rated it really liked it
There were some solid stories in this book -- things that seemed totally possible in 2015, perhaps even boringly so, in the case of the solar sail "race." My favorite story was the last one in the book, about a guy who descends into Jupiter's upper atmosphere and describes what he sees, like Thor Heyerdahl's journey across the Pacific Ocean on his balsa wood raft, Kon-Tiki.
Alexander
Aug 23, 2013 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Right before this I read Profiles of the Future which was Clarke predicting technological progress and what could be possible in the future. Here those ideas were expressed in short story format plus one novella in A Meeting With Medusa. This and I, Robot have made me appreciate the short story something I didn't really care for before.
Jason Kristopher
Fans of Arthur C. Clarke will like this collection of short stories.

The thing I liked the most about several of them was the twist at the end. While taking the story in a whole new direction, it also wrapped it up nicely and left me fairly certain of where it would go.

Clarke was a master of the art, and these stories are no exception. If you like his other work, you will like this book.
Batya7
Oct 18, 2015 Batya7 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As I've stated before, Arthur C. Clarke is not my favorite writer, but he is far from my least favorite writer. This stories in this collection were all written before 1971. They remain somewhat fresh. They just don't grab me emotionally as do other writers' stories. They are interesting to read and I simply couldn't wait to finish the book. Ah well, that's me.
Paul Knighton
Jul 27, 2012 Paul Knighton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful collection of diverse short stories about mankind in space and on earth. Magical in parts and richly described, while all based on the future as seen from the 1960s-1970s. It's amazing how quickly our expectations of "the future" have changed.
Akrabar
Nov 19, 2012 Akrabar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A great collection of short stories.
Has two of my favourites -
1) Crusade - one of his best ; a story about non biological intelligence and consciousness
2) Reunion
3) Meeting with Medusa - has many ideas which he later develops in the Space Odyssey series.
4) Wind from the Sun -
Fred McMurray
Sep 13, 2015 Fred McMurray rated it really liked it
I've long been a fan of Arthur C Clarke. The Wind From the Sun is a collection of short stories he had written early in his career. Some of the stories have been outdated by scientific advances but they are still an enjoyable read.
Tom
Aug 06, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it
Some amazing short stories, some pedestrian, but overall well-worth giving a read through. It also gives a profound insight into what people in the late 60's-early 70's expected out of humanity and the space age, exploration, and advances in society. How terribly disappointed they must be...
Ryan
Jan 06, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of his short stories from the 1960's. They are all exciting and captivating as sci-fi stories, but with deep philosophical themes and brilliant twists that make them timeless.
Yubal Masalker
Oct 11, 2015 Yubal Masalker rated it really liked it
I read its Hebrew translation.
Scot McAtee
Oct 03, 2011 Scot McAtee rated it really liked it
Classic Clarke in every sense of the word. All stories he wrote in the 1960s. Food of the Gods was my favorite, most likely, but the last story was epic.
Leroy Erickson
Jan 25, 2016 Leroy Erickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
This is a good collection of short stories, in most cases very short stories. Since it's Arthur C. Clarke, every story is also very well based scientifically.
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
  • Visible Light
  • Artificial Things
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...