Nothing Like the Night

Nothing Like the Night (DS Stella Mooney #2)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Once she had been beautiful. Now she was eight days dead, her body slashed with more than fifty cuts.

Janis Parker - young, successful and glamorous - had shared her modern Notting Hill apartment with flatmate Stephanie James. But now Janis is dead - and Stephanie has disappeared.

Heading up the investigation, Detective Stella Mooney soon has her first suspect, in the shape...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Like the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Like the Night

Ian Brydon
This is the second novel to feature the engaging Detective Sergeant Stella Mooney from the Area Major Investigation Pool (AMIP), and it is just a good as its predecessor, 'The Dead Sit Round In A Ring'.. Her 'manor' includes the dreadful Harefield Estate which, under the appellation 'Fortress Harefield' has become a virtual no-go area for the police. Stella, however, knows the Harefield quite well - after all, she grew up there.

The novel opens with the discovery of the corpse of a beautiful woma...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the DS Stella Mooney mystery series set in modern-day London, Mooney has her work cut out for her with what turns into a serial murder case. The circumstances are bizarre and cause Stella to bring Dr. Anne Beaumont onto the case to create a profile. Poor Anne. Stella is, as usual, obsessed with the case and doesn’t consider night from day and badgers Dr. Beaumont at all hours. Nor does Anne know when Stella will be discussing her own personal issues or the case’s.

Things are also heatin...more
Sheila Bankhead
I really like the Stella Mooney series, police procedurals with a quirky London detective who grew up in project housing. Lawrence's portrayal of criminal London after dark must be somewhat exaggerated, but is nevertheless a fascinating look at the underground. DS Mooney is a complex character, somewhat angst ridden but neevertheless likeable. The other characters are well drawn, too.
Sarah Masters
I really did enjoy this book. There were some parts that freaked me out with regards to what one of the killers did/said. I'll never forget it, because it was linked to a harrowing past, which made it sadder/sicker. I love books about killers, and although the author's voice took me a few pages to adjust to, once I got into it, I LOVED it!
tinne
I stumbled across this book in my mum's library and decided to give it a go. I was impressed by the story, as well as the credible characters and London scenery. The pace of the story is spot on and Stella Mooney is a relief from the naive sleuth some series feature. I'll be reading more of this series!
Emma
Grusame but a good crime story.Believeable characters en very good writing as crime novels go. Enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Suzanne
Wow, do I love this series!! Intense and gripping. Why is it I feel like drinking vodka while reading??!!
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Briony
Briony marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Figgy
Figgy added it
Jan 01, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Beniamin Mkrtchyan
Beniamin Mkrtchyan marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Natasha Fontaine
Natasha Fontaine marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Lawrence is a pseudonym for screenwriter and playright David Harsent who also writes under the pen names of David Pascoe and Jack Curtis. He lives in Barnes, West London.
More about David Lawrence...
The Dead Sit Round in a Ring Down into Darkness Cold Kill Doctor Who and the City of Death Heaven: It's Not the End of the World: Biblical Promise of a New Earth