Start by marking “Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)” as Want to Read:
Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)

Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Head of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee. Honorary prime minister of the Black Panther Party. Bestselling author. Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture) is an American legend, one whose work as a civil rights leader fundamentally altered the course of history -- and our understanding of Pan-Africanism today.
Ready for Revolution recounts the extraordinary course of
Published February 15th 2005 by Scribner (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ready for Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready for Revolution

Probably the most powerful book I've ever read on the civil rights movement. I've found a kindred soul in Stokely Carmichael. His common sense way of talking about the rights of MAN vs. just civil rights is unique in the way that it draws from the thoughts of MLK, Lenin/Marx, Malcolm X, some of the great Pan-African leaders, the Black Power movement, and the various socialist and African-American freedom organizations to combine the best of each into a cohesive worldview. His adoption of the Afr ...more
By the time Mr Ture was my age he had discussed black power with Malcolm and marched with Martin and lived to see them both gunned down, had faced violence and death threats as a grassroots organiser in the deep south fighting for fundamental rights that improved countless lives,hung with Castro and Uncle Ho, chaired the SNCC for a year, been arrested for his civil disobedience more times than he could accurately remember, survived Cleaver and Huey, and gotten married to an internationally succe ...more
I had the pleasure of attending a talk given by Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael) before his death, and knew that his life was distinct story that needed to be told. As a historian, I have spent years trying to do his story justice in my dissertation. I have hundreds of books written on the civil rights movement on my bookshelves, and this book if by far the best book I own. I can almost hear him narrating as if he were in the room with me. Although I am not particularly fond of memoires edited po ...more
Although I was not born during the Civil Rights and early Black liberation eras, I was pleasantly grateful for the knowledge that was acquired by reading this extraordinary book. It provides the reader with a first-hand account from a major revolutionary figure who encouraged non-violent direct action to Black communities facing racism, oppression, and senseless brutality. Stokely Carmichael is an individual whom I admire immensely for his endless fight for justice and liberation for the African ...more
Bambose Shango
Interesting book but only covers the SNCC part of his life, not the A-APRP part.
As Ture/Carmichael was an amazing speaker, he was an amazing writer with a unique ability to engage his audience at all levels (socially, intellectually, etc).

A text that will educate you and provide an organic history of the Civil Rights Movement/Student Movement/Black Liberation Movement.

Also, check out Carmichael's 1966 Black Power Speech at UC-Berkeley. The 52 minute speech is available for free on the iTunes store.

Nov 21, 2008 Penuelas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Penuelas by: Mentor Teacher
This book showed me that history is not changed only by great men and women but by anyone willing to put forth the effort and sacrifice to change the world.

Ready for Revolution, is the story of college student Stokely Charmichael and his involvement in the Civil Right's movement. Stockely is best remembered as one of two men to have coined the term "Black Power"
Crystal Belle
hear his words, feel his spirit. this book isn't well known but should be if you are interested in learning about the struggles of the civil rights movement in SNCC (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee) and the BPP (Black Panther Party). kwame ture was a true leader and his teachings will continue to inspire the masses.
Thoroughly learning about his early life -- his childhood, the influences he had growing up and how he got into the civil rights movement. I had know nothing about him before he got with SNCC. Also did not know he lived in Africa all those years through the end of his life. If only all autobio's were like his....
the passionate dialog of a 57 year old cancer-ridden stokely carmichael, dictated and transcribed over 18 months. from his youth to his coining of the very meaningful phrases "institutional racism" and "black power" to his years in africa, he emphasizes over and over that grassroots organized power is the best.
My favorite book on the CR movement...Ture's story, as told by the man himself through interviews with Thelwell, is as fascinating as it provocative, as tragic as it is humorous. A must for anyone interested in the movement and one of its most dynamic and attractive leaders.
Thelwell plays Boswell to Carmichael's Johnson in the single best book on this nation's crawl from Civil to Human Rights. An essential and entertaining read, the book I'll thrust upon my son toward understanding the struggle.
though the subject matter, of Stokely Carmichael's life is interesting, its badly edited. Its way way way too long, and is full of tangents that make it difficult to follow and fails to hold interest.
autobiography of stokely carmichael, civil rights leader from SNCC, who coined the phrase "black power", led black unity efforts in DC, and later fled to begin a new life in Guinea (West Africa).
Chamique Holdsclaw
Amazing read. I finished the book having a better understanding of the Civil Rights Movement!!! I highly recommend it.
Excellent historical recollection from a tireless fighter for Pan-Africanism.
The autobiography of a radical organizer, a man of the people
Very long! But lots of cool information.
Oct 01, 2012 Whitney marked it as to-read
Finally going to read this this Fall.
Jovan marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Cee Dee
Cee Dee marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
chuck snow
chuck snow marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Samir marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Sajasajuuju marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
James marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Jack marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Rifquah marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Stfrancis Resputin
Stfrancis Resputin marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
  • Revolutionary Suicide
  • A Taste of Power: A Black Woman's Story
  • Freedom Dreams: The Black Radical Imagination
  • Crusade for Justice: The Autobiography of Ida B. Wells
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • Waiting 'Til the Midnight Hour: A Narrative History of Black Power in America
  • I Wonder as I Wander: An Autobiographical Journey
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • Defying Dixie: The Radical Roots of Civil Rights: 1919-1950
  • I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle
  • Huey: Spirit of the Panther
  • Panther Baby: A Life of Rebellion and Reinvention
Stokely Standiford Churchill Carmichael, also known as Kwame Ture, was a Trinidadian-American black activist active in the 1960s American Civil Rights Movement. He rose to prominence first as a leader of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC, pronounced "Snick") and later as the "Honorary Prime Minister" of the Black Panther Party. Initially an integrationist, Carmichael later became ...more
More about Stokely Carmichael...