Start by marking “Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)” as Want to Read:
Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)

Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The astonishing personal and political autobiography of Stokely Carmichael, the legendary civil rights leader, Black Power architect, Pan-African activist, and revolutionary thinker and organizer known as Kwame Ture.

Head of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee. Honorary prime minister of the Black Panther Party. Bestselling author. Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)
Published February 15th 2005 by Scribner (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ready for Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready for Revolution

Sister Citizen by Melissa V. Harris-PerryWho's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now by TouréFor Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow... by Keith BoykinThe John Carlos Story by John CarlosLabor of Love, Labor of Sorrow by Jacqueline A. Jones
Melissa-Harris Perry Show Reads
96th out of 166 books — 23 voters
Just Mercy by Bryan StevensonThe New Jim Crow by Michelle AlexanderGideon's Children by Howard G. FranklinRedefining Realness by Janet MockA Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava
Civil Rights & Law: Then and Now
55th out of 113 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim
Jul 25, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most powerful book I've ever read on the civil rights movement. I've found a kindred soul in Stokely Carmichael. His common sense way of talking about the rights of MAN vs. just civil rights is unique in the way that it draws from the thoughts of MLK, Lenin/Marx, Malcolm X, some of the great Pan-African leaders, the Black Power movement, and the various socialist and African-American freedom organizations to combine the best of each into a cohesive worldview. His adoption of the Afr ...more
Emma
Jul 14, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
By the time Mr Ture was my age he had discussed black power with Malcolm and marched with Martin and lived to see them both gunned down, had faced violence and death threats as a grassroots organiser in the deep south fighting for fundamental rights that improved countless lives,hung with Castro and Uncle Ho, chaired the SNCC for a year, been arrested for his civil disobedience more times than he could accurately remember, survived Cleaver and Huey, and gotten married to an internationally succe ...more
Peyton
Apr 13, 2012 Peyton rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of attending a talk given by Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael) before his death, and knew that his life was distinct story that needed to be told. As a historian, I have spent years trying to do his story justice in my dissertation. I have hundreds of books written on the civil rights movement on my bookshelves, and this book if by far the best book I own. I can almost hear him narrating as if he were in the room with me. Although I am not particularly fond of memoires edited po ...more
Jefftest
Mar 30, 2016 Jefftest rated it liked it
他的妻子嗎、他自己就是說不
Babydoll
Mar 30, 2009 Babydoll rated it it was amazing
Although I was not born during the Civil Rights and early Black liberation eras, I was pleasantly grateful for the knowledge that was acquired by reading this extraordinary book. It provides the reader with a first-hand account from a major revolutionary figure who encouraged non-violent direct action to Black communities facing racism, oppression, and senseless brutality. Stokely Carmichael is an individual whom I admire immensely for his endless fight for justice and liberation for the African ...more
Bambose Shango
Interesting book but only covers the SNCC part of his life, not the A-APRP part.
Hameto
Aug 16, 2009 Hameto rated it it was amazing
As Ture/Carmichael was an amazing speaker, he was an amazing writer with a unique ability to engage his audience at all levels (socially, intellectually, etc).

A text that will educate you and provide an organic history of the Civil Rights Movement/Student Movement/Black Liberation Movement.

Also, check out Carmichael's 1966 Black Power Speech at UC-Berkeley. The 52 minute speech is available for free on the iTunes store.

Enjoy.
Penuelas
Nov 21, 2008 Penuelas rated it really liked it
Recommended to Penuelas by: Mentor Teacher
This book showed me that history is not changed only by great men and women but by anyone willing to put forth the effort and sacrifice to change the world.

Ready for Revolution, is the story of college student Stokely Charmichael and his involvement in the Civil Right's movement. Stockely is best remembered as one of two men to have coined the term "Black Power"
Crystal Belle
Jan 27, 2009 Crystal Belle rated it it was amazing
hear his words, feel his spirit. this book isn't well known but should be if you are interested in learning about the struggles of the civil rights movement in SNCC (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee) and the BPP (Black Panther Party). kwame ture was a true leader and his teachings will continue to inspire the masses.
Kareem
Mar 23, 2013 Kareem rated it really liked it
Thoroughly learning about his early life -- his childhood, the influences he had growing up and how he got into the civil rights movement. I had know nothing about him before he got with SNCC. Also did not know he lived in Africa all those years through the end of his life. If only all autobio's were like his....
Daniel
Apr 18, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
the passionate dialog of a 57 year old cancer-ridden stokely carmichael, dictated and transcribed over 18 months. from his youth to his coining of the very meaningful phrases "institutional racism" and "black power" to his years in africa, he emphasizes over and over that grassroots organized power is the best.
Pat
Jun 30, 2008 Pat rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on the CR movement...Ture's story, as told by the man himself through interviews with Thelwell, is as fascinating as it provocative, as tragic as it is humorous. A must for anyone interested in the movement and one of its most dynamic and attractive leaders.
Kurt
Thelwell plays Boswell to Carmichael's Johnson in the single best book on this nation's crawl from Civil to Human Rights. An essential and entertaining read, the book I'll thrust upon my son toward understanding the struggle.
Dec 10, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
though the subject matter, of Stokely Carmichael's life is interesting, its badly edited. Its way way way too long, and is full of tangents that make it difficult to follow and fails to hold interest.
Alex
Jun 10, 2007 Alex rated it really liked it
autobiography of stokely carmichael, civil rights leader from SNCC, who coined the phrase "black power", led black unity efforts in DC, and later fled to begin a new life in Guinea (West Africa).
Chamique Holdsclaw
Dec 13, 2012 Chamique Holdsclaw rated it really liked it
Amazing read. I finished the book having a better understanding of the Civil Rights Movement!!! I highly recommend it.
Cha
May 18, 2008 Cha rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical recollection from a tireless fighter for Pan-Africanism.
Matteo
Nov 11, 2007 Matteo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
The autobiography of a radical organizer, a man of the people
Tony
Oct 11, 2007 Tony rated it liked it
Very long! But lots of cool information.
Whitney
Oct 01, 2012 Whitney marked it as to-read
Finally going to read this this Fall.
Jessica Anne
Jessica Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Leticia Martinez
Leticia Martinez marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Joycelyn Kelly
Joycelyn Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Rene
Rene marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Jarrodaf
Jarrodaf marked it as to-read
Lt
Lt marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Wanda Smith
Wanda Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Die Nigger Die!
  • We Want Freedom: A Life in the Black Panther Party
  • Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision
  • Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton
  • Flying Close to the Sun: My Life and Times as a Weatherman
  • Revolutionary Suicide
  • A Taste of Power: A Black Woman's Story
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • Waiting 'Til the Midnight Hour: A Narrative History of Black Power in America
  • Freedom Dreams: The Black Radical Imagination
  • If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • Outlaws of America: The Weather Underground and the Politics of Solidarity
  • Left of Karl Marx: The Political Life of Black Communist Claudia Jones
  • Love and Struggle: My Life in SDS, the Weather Underground, and Beyond
  • Defying Dixie: The Radical Roots of Civil Rights: 1919-1950
  • I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle
Stokely Standiford Churchill Carmichael, also known as Kwame Ture, was a Trinidadian-American black activist active in the 1960s American Civil Rights Movement. He rose to prominence first as a leader of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC, pronounced "Snick") and later as the "Honorary Prime Minister" of the Black Panther Party. Initially an integrationist, Carmichael later became ...more
More about Stokely Carmichael...