Start by marking “The Medieval Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Medieval Cookbook

The Medieval Cookbook

This cookbook offers a selection of recipes drawn from medieval
manuscripts which have been adapted for the modern cook. Illustrated
with scenes from medieval life, the dishes reflect the food eaten by
many branches of society. The book ends with a section on herbs and
medicines.
Published September 17th 1992 by Thames & Hudson

To ask other readers questions about The Medieval Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medieval Cookbook

Sidsel Pedersen
I am yet to try any of the recipes. However it has good chapter introductions and interesting recipes - quite a few of which I do want to try.

A few points of critique - which is properly due to the age of the book
- She is using a blender quite a lot which makes it harder to see how to use the recipe in a reenactment setting.
- I don't read old english (as english is not my first language) so when she refers to the original recipe (printed at the top of each page) she looses me.
- I am really missi
Lee Shin
Aug 29, 2016 Lee Shin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insights into medieval food. I was surprised to note that there seems to be oriental elements in medieval cooking in England. It must be a feat for the merchants to transport the goods in those days. The dish of Chicken with rice and almonds uses cooking technique that is quite similar to what we still do these days in Southeast Asia. The texts between chapters providing explanation of the eating habits etc were particularly useful for understanding the subject better.
Steve Bivans
Jul 14, 2014 Steve Bivans rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Want to throw a medieval feast? This is the book you need. Lots of great recipes and stories to give you a foundation of historical background on feasting in the Middle Ages. The barley bread recipe is fantastic!
Miles
Oct 14, 2009 Miles rated it it was ok
Interesting, but nothing to write home about. I suspect that it was based more on the preferences of the author than presenting a genuinely balanced view of medieval cooking. The use of saffron in very nearly every recipe is a clue in that direction.
Linda
Jul 03, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
I suppose I had wanted something a bit more scholarly regarding food recipes in the middle ages. I had recently read a book mentioning names of medieval recipes and was disappointed more of them were not in the book or the description did not seem to match the recipe in the book.
Jade Cropley
Feb 03, 2015 Jade Cropley rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval-sources
Contains recipes but some are not clear on date and location.
Get it from a friend or Library very expensive to buy.
Cassie
Jun 16, 2013 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
While absolutely none of these recipes actually look good, I loved this cookbook. I thought it was a very interesting insight into Medieval life, and it was a lot of fun to read.
Daniel Serra
Sep 06, 2015 Daniel Serra rated it liked it
It is a good book to start with in historical or medieval cooking, though as often is the case many of the dishes could be said to be renaissance rather than medieval
Andrew Wicks
Andrew Wicks rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Audrey
Audrey rated it liked it
May 23, 2013
laura st quinton
laura st quinton rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2016
Liberty Montano
Liberty Montano rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Svana Hildolfsdottir
Svana Hildolfsdottir rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2007
Wendy Kienbusch
Wendy Kienbusch rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Janin
Janin rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Eric Bloodaxe
Eric Bloodaxe rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Luisa Barbano
Luisa Barbano rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2017
Mariana Garcia
Mariana Garcia rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2011
Andy Hammond
Andy Hammond rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Curt
Curt rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Kylie Waters
Kylie Waters rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2009
Kevin Nicoll
Kevin Nicoll rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks
  • Fabulous Feasts: Medieval Cookery and Ceremony
  • The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
  • The Medieval Reader
  • Women's Lives in Medieval Europe: A Sourcebook
  • The Knight, the Lady & the Priest: The Making of Modern Marriage in Medieval France
  • The Good Wife's Guide: A Medieval Household Book
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian: Recipes from the New and Old Worlds, Simplified for the American Kitchen
  • A Medieval Home Companion
  • Essentials of Baking: Recipes and Techniques for Successful Home Baking (Williams-Sonoma Essentials)
  • Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome
  • The Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat
  • Medieval Women
  • Vegetarian Epicure Book Two
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World
Maggie Black is the author of several publications including From Handpumps to Health: The Evolution of Water and Sanitation Programmes in Bangladesh, India and Nigeria and In the Twilight Zone: Child Workers in the Hotel, Tourism and Catering Industry. She has worked as a consultant for UNICEF, Anti-Slavery International, and WaterAid, among others, and has written for The Guardian, The Economist ...more
More about Maggie Black...