Start by marking “Doctor Who: Mawdryn Undead (Target Doctor Who Library)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Mawdryn Undead (Target Doctor Who Library)

Doctor Who: Mawdryn Undead (Doctor Who Library (Target) #82)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The Doctor's time-travelling machine is trapped in the flight-path of an alien spacecraft in orbit around the Earth. To avoid the fatal impact of a head-on collision the TARDIS resorts to the only escape possible and materialises on board the on-coming liner.

This solves the immediate problem, but a new difficulty arises — the TARDIS cannot get off the ship until a radio si
Mass Market Paperback, 119 pages
Published January 12th 1984 by Target Books, Carol Publishing Corporation (first published August 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who and the Ark in Space by Ian MarterDoctor Who and the Seeds of Doom by Philip HinchcliffeDoctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster by Terrance DicksDoctor Who by Terrance DicksDoctor Who and the Green Death by Malcolm Hulke
Target Doctor Who
34th out of 105 books — 14 voters
Doctor Who by Brian MinchinDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Oli SmithDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Doctor Who ultimate list
212th out of 240 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1060883.html#cutid4[return][return]I was bracing myself for another terrible book after the awfulness of Doctor Who - Time Flight. But in fact I was pleasantly surprised; I think it is a better story in the first place, but Grimwade is able to bring in a bit more characterisation to new companion Turlough and the Brigadier, and a bit more background to the public school. Not bad at all.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 29, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Another of my early childhood favourites. Peter Grimwade has such an excellent command of both the 5th Doctor, and old-school Doctor Who storytelling in general. A story already steeped in nostalgia and being lost in the past...enhanced by an author determined to rise to the challenge of expanding and enhancing his original TV scripts within the then-required word count. Highly recommended.
Travis
Aug 08, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
A faintly interesting story is saved by the introduction of new companion Turlough and the return of the Brigader.
Having the Brig interacting with a Doctor is always fun and it was interesting to see how well he got along with Tegan.
This actually worked better as a TV episode, where the personalities of the actors comes through better and helps boast the story.

Becca
Apr 30, 2010 Becca rated it really liked it
This was my favorite novelization thus far. Part of it is that it's not the first Doctor, who I really don't like, and part of it is that I keep hearing about Turlough on the internet, so it's good to finally read about his first adventure with the Doctor. I'd like to read more of that, as well as see the episodes.
Matthew Goode Ⓥ
Dec 24, 2012 Matthew Goode Ⓥ rated it really liked it
One of the better DW novels I've read so far.
Xzon Brown
Xzon Brown rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Tony Hale
Tony Hale rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Huyvu
Huyvu rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
P K Morris
P K Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Nina
Nina added it
Mar 24, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Paul Griggs
Paul Griggs rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jan 25, 2016
Jerry
Jerry added it
Jan 12, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Beat
Beat added it
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Doctor Who: Arc of Infinity
  • Doctor Who and the Sontaran Experiment (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Seeds of Doom (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Castrovalva (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the War Games

Doctor Who Library (Target) (1 - 10 of 156 books)
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1)
  • Doctor Who And The Android Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Androids of Tara (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius
  • Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos (Target Doctor Who Library)

“Don't interfere!" The Doctor silenced her angrily. "I cannot will my own destruction.” 11 likes
“The bemused Brigadier shook his head. "You and that TARDIS.” 8 likes