Start by marking “Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984” as Want to Read:
Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984

Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984

Finalist in the category of Popular Culture in the Independent Publisher Book Awards 2002 (The Ippy Awards) presented by Independent Publisher Magazine.It was a time when technology was king, status was determined by your high score, and videogames were blitzing the world...From Pong to Pac-Man, Asteroids to Zaxxon--more than fifty million people around the world have come ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by MIT Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Supercade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supercade

Thom
Apr 18, 2015 Thom rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I sought this out for Nick Montfort's contributions and for the subject matter. What I found was a disjointed coffee table book with editing problems and black pages that absorb oils like crazy.

Van Burnham edits the collection and presumably writes the copy for the myriad games (arcade and home) that dot the pages in timeline order between 1971 and 1984. A broad selection of guest authors fill in the rest, and these articles range from fairly interesting to mailed-in copy.

A few of the articles a
David Glenn Dixon
Washington City Paper
Arts & Entertainment : Book Review

No Quarter
By Glenn Dixon • December 7, 2001

If you think videogame history is in its infancy, just get a load of videogame historiography. Stick to the stuff in English and it makes for a mighty short bookshelf: Scott Cohen's "Zap! The Rise and Fall of Atari" follows the industry pioneer into the murk of the 1983-1984 cartridge-system crash. David Sheff's well-reviewed "Game Over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Do
Tim Lapetino
Sep 02, 2014 Tim Lapetino rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic and gorgeous read, a high-level visual history of classic video games. With excellent screenshots, box art, and images of consoles, the author does a great job of covering the birth of video gaming as we know it. Great graphic design and just enough in-depth text make this a great coffee table book with quality meat on its bones. Even though the book itself is more than a decade old, the presentation and design feel pretty fresh for the material. Highly recommended.

Prod
Philip
Jul 26, 2008 Philip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
Some of the historical accounts are a bit shallow, e.g. offhand I know the there's a lot more interesting story behind MS-DOS and PacMan than is included in their respective articles. But the brevity is understandable given the encyclopedic breadth covering individual games from the very beginning - essentially a page per game with the text essentially embedded in a splash of color photos that give the whole book a video game feel.

The careful narration of the early days and inventors along with
Karl
Mar 14, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly engrossing for anyone, like me, who came of age during the rise of the video game. Both the home console and the video arcade are covered in detail from the extremely obscure to the ubiquitous cultural icons. Built around a timeline that incorporates product launches, business deals, oddball trivia, and software launches one would be hard pressed to find a more complete picture of an era viewed through the prism of video games. Visually stunning, with a foreword and introduction that ...more
Peter Smith
Feb 03, 2012 Peter Smith rated it it was amazing
Books about video games have generally turned into self-promoting art books for games that weren't that great in the first place. This book, while matching the heft and visual design of any of these books, turns its eye to the past and explores all the early games along with the first video game systems and gives them the coverage they deserved. Certainly my nostalgia for these games informs my love for this book, but I think the book gives these games the long overdue respect they deserve (in s ...more
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
had so much fun reading this... even tho it is an over-sized coffee table book not necessarily the easiest to cozy up with in bed! Really interesting to learn the history behind different consoles and games that I love playing!
Brian
Oct 04, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Great visual history of the early video game era. Recommend reading with gloves -- the black pages instantly absorb fingerprints!
Bob
Jan 12, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read-books
Brings back lots of memories of lost quarters.
Jonathan
Jan 14, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gamers, nerds
I have yet to fully absorb this coffee table book, but it's amazing photographs and completely relevant contributors make it an amazing piece of work. I love it.
Steven Kent
Certainly the best coffee table book on the history of arcades. This book has the prettiest layout, the most photographs and some good articles.
Michael
Sep 29, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing
The most golden memories of my childhood are captured in this book. I suppose that says something about me, but I'm not the least bit ashamed.
Danny
Sep 12, 2011 Danny rated it it was amazing
a visual treat bringing u t a world of how videogames and how they get their look
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games, non-fiction
Beautiful book that smudges too easily.
Selso Xisto
Apr 13, 2012 Selso Xisto rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous photography
Patrick Mithamo
Patrick Mithamo marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Heidihark
Heidihark marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Duarte
Duarte marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kyle Lopes
Kyle Lopes marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Damiana Punzi
Damiana Punzi marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jerry Doughan
Jerry Doughan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Jenni
Jenni added it
Jul 17, 2016
Noah Langford
Noah Langford marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon - The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World
  • Replay: The History of Video Games
  • High Score!: The Illustrated History of Electronic Games
  • From Barbie to Mortal Kombat: Gender and Computer Games
  • 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
  • Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • All Your Base Are Belong to Us: How Fifty Years of Videogames Conquered Pop Culture
  • Banvard's Folly: Thirteen Tales of People Who Didn't Change the World
  • The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Nerd Attack!: Eine Geschichte der digitalen Welt vom C64 bis zu Twitter und Facebook
  • Langford's Basic Photography: The Guide for Serious Photographers
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • Game Over, Press Start to Continue: How Nintendo Conquered the World
  • Dostoevsky: The Mantle of the Prophet, 1871-1881
  • Final Fantasy and Philosophy: The Ultimate Walkthrough
  • William James: In the Maelstrom of American Modernism

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Van's MySpace page can be found at http://www.myspace.com/vanburnham. She is a former contributor to Wired magazine, lives in Los Angeles, and has a large arcade collection.
More about Van Burnham...