Start by marking “Poet's Bookshelf: Contemporary Poets On Books That Shaped Their Art” as Want to Read:
Poet's Bookshelf: Contemporary Poets On Books That Shaped Their Art

Poet's Bookshelf: Contemporary Poets On Books That Shaped Their Art

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Eighty-one poets list and comment on books that were essential in their artistic development

To ask other readers questions about Poet's Bookshelf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poet's Bookshelf

Cynthia
Interesting stat about this book:

William Carlos Williams was the most frequently cited poet with 17 poets referring to him. Shakespeare and Yeats had 11.

Reading these poets write about their most essential works can work both for and against them. For example, Clayton Eshleman writes about his experiences leaving his wife and baby for another woman and tricking Cesar Vallejo's widow out of her rights to the works so he could translate them. And oh yeah, he flow back to his childhood home to te
Heather Moss
Well, that took forever. I am much too much of a bibliomaniac and librarian to read this book without looking up every single thing that anyone mentioned. I really enjoyed this book; I got so many interesting suggestions of things to read. I barely read the actual essays associated with each author's list because I am more interested in how these things might influence me than how they influenced someone else.
Talia
Fun to read. Of course, poets tend to be a bit self-centered and this book only proves to emphasize that (a few went overboard, you know). But I'd like to share my own little list of what I read, but that's what GoodReads is anyway, I guess.
Gary McDowell
I love these kinds of books!
Mills College Library
011.8 P7458 2005
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Steven Shane
Steven Shane marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 25, 2010
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2009
Steve Morrison
Steve Morrison marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2009
Ami
Ami marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2009
K
K marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2009
Jody Rambo
Jody Rambo marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2009
Steve
Steve added it
Oct 21, 2007
Simone
Simone added it
Oct 02, 2007
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2007
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2007
Peter Davis lives with his sweet wife, son and daughter. His poems have appeared in places like Atticus, Jacket, and The Best American Poetry anthology. He draws, writes and makes music in Muncie, Indiana while teaching English at Ball State University. More info at artisnecessary.com.
More about Peter Davis...
Poetry! Poetry! Poetry! Hitler's Mustache TINA Poet's Bookshelf II: Contemporary Poets on Books That Shaped Their Art Cravings for a spectacular sun