Start by marking “Ein Gebet für die Verdammten (Schwester Fidelma, #17)” as Want to Read:
Ein Gebet für die Verdammten (Schwester Fidelma, #17)

Ein Gebet für die Verdammten (Sister Fidelma #17)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Mord an Fidelmas Hochzeitstag. Irland, Februar 668. Schwester Fidelma und Bruder Eadulf haben beschlossen zu heiraten. Aus diesem Anlaß sind weltliche und geistliche Würdenträger aus ganz Irland nach Cashel gekommen. Da wird Abt Ultán, ein entschiedener Anhänger des Zölibats, ermordet. Für Fidelma und Eadulf ist jetzt keine Zeit zum Feiern.
Published 2011 by Aufbau (first published September 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ein Gebet für die Verdammten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ein Gebet für die Verdammten

The umpteenth in the Sister Fidelma series set in 7th c. Ireland. Fidelma and Eadulf's wedding ceremony is postponed by the murder of an odious abbot who had come to Cashel specifically to protest their wedding, being a proponent of the Roman way of thinking which demands celibacy for the Christian religious. But Ireland has no such rules, and Rome does not have an official ban on marriage among the religious either--and Abbot Ultan had other reasons for being among the highest ranking political ...more
I often enjoy historical novels, and I enjoy detective novels, so historical detective novels tick a lot of boxes for me. Sadly, this turned out to be an exception to the rule.

Unlike other historical detective novels I have read (see my review of Alex Grecian's "The Yard" for example, I didn't think this was not a good book because of historical clangers. The author, Peter Tremayne, is an expert in ancient Irish culture and language. And boy do we get to know about it. It reminds me of the young
A Prayer for the Damned is the 17th book in Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series of murder mystery novels set in 7th century Ireland. In this story, an abbot is killed on the eve of Fidelma's wedding to Eadulf. The murder has significant political repercussions, that could in the worst case lead to Fidelma's brother, Colgu, losing his kingship.

As a murder mystery, this book works quite well. It is not until about 50 pages from the end that we see a slip-up by the murderer that will eventually
The very first thing I like about this book is that it is set in 7th Century Ireland. I find enormous pleasure in exploring the customs and circumstances of the past. It gives me insight into how our present was formed.

The second thing I enjoyed is the depiction of women as ‘liberated’ and equal in standing in the community and before the law. I also enjoyed the ‘theological arguments’ between Brother Dron (an umlaut over the o), a fanatic right-winger if ever there was one, and our heroine, Si
#17 in the Sister Fidelma series. 7th century Ireland had a system of laws that were light years ahead of its time (the Dark Ages). Their provisions concerning women were better than any country (including the U.S.) in 2011. There were protections against domestic abuse, divorce, rape, child molestation, etc. Family bonds were emphasized along with loyalty to one's clan. Succession of clan leadership (and even kingship!) were not based upon the oldest son but rather voted in based on the vote of ...more
09/10 Punkte gebe ich für diesen 15. Band der Reihe. Langweilig wird es bei Fidelma und Eadulf nicht, das ist mal sicher.

Meine Rezension könnt ihr hier nachlesen:
Deb W
Sister Fidelma rocks. It's amazing how Tremayne can work so much information about ancient Ireland and the history of the church and Irish law into a very credible whodunit.
I managed to get through all the Gaelic and politics. Good story. Compelling mystery. As usual, the characters are solid and realistic. I feel like I've been back to ancient Ireland.
Laura Edwards
A nice, fast-paced book. Plenty of suspects and an irredeemable villain. And there were quite a few humorous moments with Brother Eadulf. I especially like the part where he referred to himself as shy. Ha ha! Also, in this book Fidelma displays a wide range of emotions (makes her more human). I also love the last line in the book. It's the sweetest thing Eadulf has ever said to Fidelma. Finally, a few glimpses of tenderness between them are given in this book. Definitely one of the best in the s ...more
TIme to throw in something different. Well, sort of different. A murder mystery only this time set in Ireland hundreds of years ago. A female, who's all at once a lawyer, sister to a king, a religious (pre-cursor to a nun), a wife and a mother, investigates murders in her spare time. My aunt gave me a couple Peter Tremayne books for Christmas a couple years ago, knowing I liked anything set in that area and general era and that I devour mystery novels. If you like historical settings and mysteri ...more
picked it up at a used book sale. Now I'll have to go back and read the preceding 14 books in the series.
Wendy Luvers
Schwester Fidelma ist wie immer cool. Cholerische Charaktere, durchtriebene Äbte etc., es wird niemals langweilig.
The wedding day has arrived just as Fidelma promised last time it is all set to go on the arranged date. Then an abbot is killed in Cashel after he arrives to challenge the wedding. A king is suspected and asked Fidelma to represent him. The wedding is then delayed as Fidelma attempts to get to the bottom of things in front of all the high ranking members of the five kingdoms. Lots of twists, lots of clues.
Sister Fidelma and Eadwulf are about to be married for reals. Everyone has gathered, due to Sister Fidelma's relationship to the king. A hateful abbot is killed and there is no lack of suspects as everyone hated him and had reason to kill him. While sorting out the mess, Sister Fidelma's marriage is put on hold and two other deaths occur. Somehow she is able to work it all out to suspect someone no one else did.
This story of 7th century Irish dalaigh and religieuse, Sister Fidelma, finds her on the verge of her marraige to Eadulf. The plot continues to sharpen the edge of the inevitable conflict between the Celtic Church and the Roman Church with its denigration of women. Will Fidelma leave holy orders? I kind of hope so. I liked the fact that this mystery stayed in Cashel, too.
I really enjoy exploring the culture of ancient Ireland and the learning about the conversion of the land to Christianity. I find it incredibly interesting to read how women were treated and seeing the different concepts of Christianity and how it was changed over time. The story is also fun to read and it is fun to try to solve the mystery.
I think my favorite thing about this Fidelma book besides the fact that she was not always irritated with Eadulf was that the author included examples of how other old Irish laws would have worked. I also could not pick out the culprit from the first page--plenty of arrogant people in this story.
Mar 04, 2008 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to all my friends
I love Peter Tremayne's series of books on Celtic Ireland. Always a good mystery which Sister Fidelma solves with her usual logic. The history of the time period 600 AD is interesting as well as the Irish History which is interwoven in the story line.
Great series, mostly in Ireland in the 660s. Much about the fine Celtic church losing out to Roman rules and, hence, the deteriorating status of women. Sister Fidelma is a great feisty lady!
Again, another mystery which draws us more into intrigue, mystery, 7th Century Celtic life, and Christianity in 7th century Ireland. Fun.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I enjoy Tremayne's Sister Fidelma stories - they do vary in the power of the story (as would be expected) but remain a good read.
Could have used tighter editing, but even when he's not his best, Tremayne is better than most!
This was a convoluted mystery with many players. Kept me guessing to the end.
Mary Devlin
Gripping and suspenseful. Definitely a good read for medieval mystery lovers.
This a book that can take you away to another world. A good escape book.
Fidelma is always a joy to read and puzzle over
A wedding postponed by a murder
Another good mystery for Fidelma!
Good St. Patrick' Day read--- set in Ireland of A.D. 668.
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. Under Peter Tremayne, ...more
More about Peter Tremayne...

Sister Fidelma (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1)
  • Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • Hemlock at Vespers (Sister Fidelma, #9)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)