Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)

Tethered (The Iron Seas #2.5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Surviving on the treacherous Iron Seas requires a heart of steel…but how can Yasmeen hope to survive when her heart has already been stolen by Archimedes Fox…?

Tethered along the south dock of Port Fallow, Captain Yasmeen Corsair’s magnificent new airship, Lady Nergüi, awaits its departure with adventurer and treasure-hunter Archimedes Fox. But this time, Yasmeen, a fearles...more
Mass Market Paperback, 187 pages
Published April 2nd 2013

To ask other readers questions about Tethered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tethered

Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
29th out of 230 books — 690 voters
Lord's Fall by Thea HarrisonDragos Takes a Holiday by Thea HarrisonTurning Up the Heat by Laura FlorandMina Wentworth and the Invisible City by Meljean BrookMaking It Last by Ruthie Knox
Mid Marriage: Revisiting Romance Couples
5th out of 9 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jul 03, 2013 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steampunk Romance
4.5 stars...A Heart of Steel Follow-up Must Read
She blinked away the burning in her eyes, swallowing hard. "You," she said. I was all that she could manage. Incredible man.

"And you're still dressed," he said softly.

She rose from the cushions and met him halfway. His lips parted against hers, yet a kiss wasn't enough. Through the swelling in her chest, the ache in her throat, she said, "I love you."

"Of course you do." Despite the teasing reply, his voice ws rough with emotion. "I'm far too manly
Melindeeloo
I had a busy day but Tethered (Novella): The Further Adventures of Archimedes Fox and Captain Corsair fit perfectly into the spaces in between all the hustle and bustle.

Tethered was a wonderful not so little after the HEA story(for Heart of Steel) and a nice slice of the Iron Seas world with a decent amount of steamy stuff. It starts out with some surprisingly sweet and loving moments between the bold and dangerous Captain Yasmeen and her dashing and roguish hubby Archimedes and shows just why...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I have to admit, I always pause before spending three bucks on a novella. Will it be worth it? Is the publisher just trying to milk my love for an established series with a little puff of nothing set in a world I’m committed to? And despite my love for Meljean Brook, I wondered the same thing here. Thankfully, I can assure you that “Tethered” was worth every penny and then some.

This is a companion story designed to be read after Heart of Steel. With some novellas, it doesn’t really matter when y...more
Kitana
The only thing I love more than a story of two lovers in perfect accord is a story that throws a great big kink between two lovers in perfect accord, then watching them grow even more in love because of the difficulties they surmount.
And, boy, did this novella deliver!

I've had a lady-crush Yasmeen ever since her first appearance in The Iron Duke.
I love Archimedes!
It was awesome to see them in their new dynamic of an established couple (god, they're so adorable!)
For a novella, Tethered is amazi...more
Irena
I am aware that this is not the same as Heart of Steel, but unlike many I wasn't expecting it to be.
This gets a star extra for the sole reason Meljean Brook doesn't have to introduce another man/woman and create a love triangle or some lie from the past as many other authors do (it seems some can't write a story with the same characters without such nonsense - reason why I stopped reading some series).
That being said, Yasmeen and Archimedes are different in this story. Sure, there is a plot, b...more
Kelly
Holy Hannah. Whenever I dip my toes in this world, I go all flaily over it. In fact, I'm considering doing a full series reread just so I can wallow in it for as long as humanly possible. *wallows contentedly*

In case you missed my blatant fangirling, I kinda dig this series. This novella gives us another peek into the lives (and deep love) of Archimedes and Yasmeen. Man, those two do it for me. They're so unabashedly taken with one another. Yasmeen might have to put on a tough face in front of h...more
Lulu
4.5 stars. Really fun novella set in the Iron Seas world of Meljean Brook. Nice follow up of a previous couple, Yasmeen and Archimedes. Lots of action, good story, great writing and Archimedes is just a great character! Just wish that Brook had written a wrap up scene with the primary villain of the storyline and either Yasmeen or Archimedes.
Ana
Jul 16, 2012 Ana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
I really enjoy reading these short stories, Meljean knows how to create a consistent world and knows how to use those little things she plants on her novels. I loved to know how the stories from the characters in the second novel developed and it's always a pleasure to read more about Yasmeen and Archimedes.

Still, don't get me wrong, this is a great stand-alone too, so if you haven't read anything by Meljean Brook, don't be afraid to read this one, you'll get it.

The only issue I keep getting wit...more
Elizabeth Hunter
Another great adventure from Brook! I'm loving novellas lately, so this was perfect.

I could read another dozen stories with Archimedes and Yasmeen, just because they're such fascinating characters and their relationship is so layered. I think they're my favorite couple from the Iron Seas series. Wonderful action and intrigue in this novella. Loved the length, loved the story, love the humor. (Hot? Oh yes. Please and thank you Archimedes.)

Highly recommend this whole series, but especially this n...more
Aoi
The post-marriage Archimedes X Yasmeen relationship is a potential minefield- her being the Captain and him, her husband who doesn't quite have a formal place in the crew.

Reading this- They have both grown beautifully as a couple. I love how understanding and non egoistic they are of one other, without having to make anything explicit.. They just fall in place in each others' lives..

And Zenobia's letters to Archemedes.. Haha!
Fangs for the Fantasy
Yasmeen and Archimedes, mercenary and adventurer, are settling into married life and finding a new balance while hoping to protect Yasmeen’s essential, ruthless reputation.

An old friend of Archimedes approaches – he wants help to rescue his brother from Eden; the impenetrable flying city that enslaves any it comes across. It’s an impossible mission – but the man will use any means in his power to force Yasmeen and Archimedes to help him

Probably not the wisest thing the man has ever done

I love th...more
Sho
Yeah for a story after HEA!
Yasmeen and Fox make a brilliant and wonderful team/ I LOVE reading how they compliment each other. They are stronger and weaker for being together and reading how they come to realize that makes it so great! Their strength are shown so well in the ways they deal with difficulty in this very tough world. Another great story from this world. I do hope there is more!
Deanne
A short book to tide me over while I wait for Brooks to write a larger novel set in her steampunk world. I've liked all the books in the series so far, would love to hear more of the minor characters including Zenobia.
Liz
More in the adventures of Mr. and Mrs. Fox! A great pleasure to revisit these characters and despite the shorter length, completely satisfying!
Alex
Tethered is a combination extended epilogue/after the happily ever after of Heart of Steel. It reads very well as a stand-alone novella, but obviously this book and review contains spoilers for Heart of Steel - so don't read further if you want to read Heart of Steel first.

Archimedes Fox and Yasmeen Corsair are my favorite characters in the Iron Seas universe, and probably my very favorite thing about any of these books are Archimedes' letters to his sister, Zenobia, of which there are plenty he...more
Ainslie
A bit more syrup-y than the main series.
Daisy
3.5/5
I absolutely adore Archimedes and Yasmeen together. This was a really nice novella that sees them embark on a new adventure on Lady Nerg������i. There���������s a lot of action and romance but the reason I didn���������t give this a four start rating was because I felt like there could have been more to the story line. It was a little too fast paced for my liking and the ending was tied up too quickly. Still it was quite a decent read but not as good as Heart of Steel.

Sidenote: I have reall...more
Katherine
This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

Set in the Iron Seas world (and an after-story to Heart of Steel) Tethered is a wonderful look at how love changed two characters and how it would never change their zeal for life. Reconnecting with old friends (and with friends like this who needs enemies?) begins Archimedes and Yasmeen on a new adventure that will test the strength of their bond, mettle of the crew and prove to all that they are a pair not only madly in love but to most just plain...more
Olivia ツ
This is a novella that continues the story of Archimedes and Yasmeen. Brook also followed The Iron Duke with a novella about Mina and the Duke and how they were adapting to married life. I appreciate this. Given that both Mina and Yasmeen are strong independent women now attached to equally challenging men, it gives the reader some assurance and closure to know that the couples are adapting well.

In this novella, Archimedes Fox's adventurous and reckless past comes back to haunt him. There is als...more
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

In many ways, Tethered is a stronger novel than Heart of Steel; there are certainly elements in it that I wish were present in the full-length novel itself. For one, what this novella does a remarkable job of is capturing the tortured essence of Archimedes Fox - a side to him we unfortunately didn't see very much of before. Tethered not only delves deeper into the complex relationship between Yasmeen and Archimedes, one that balances precariously on equality, love, and uncertain...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 4.5 stars: Loved it - enthusiastically recommend(A)
Originally Posted at That's What I'm Talking About

Tethered is a wonderful novella set in Meljean Brook’s Iron Seas series set sometime after the second book, Heart of Steel. Although this story can be read stand alone, it does build upon the events in the second book, and therefore, contains some spoilers from Heart of Steel. Also, I feel those that have read the series will have more emotional investment in the characters.

The story...more
A.M.
Tethered is a novella included in my print copy of Heart of Steel. It is the further adventures of Archimedes Fox and Captain Corsair. An old acquaintance of Fox’s has shown up. I won’t call him a friend.
Bilson demands that they help him rescue his brother from a floating religious cult, mentioned in previous books. They refuse. He turns on a smuggled nano transmitter and reduces Fox to a mindless automaton. It’s worse that it happens mid-sex with Yasmeen, and these two love their sex. Bilson th...more
Amy
I loved these two in heart of steel and more of them as a couple already, teasing and having fun with each other, was just perfect.

Well no, not perfect, it should have been a full length novel! This plot could have easily supported it too. It's also refreshing that Archimedes has a healthy and wonderful relationship with his sister. and Yasmeen, for that matter.

Can't praise their relationship enough for neither of them being too alpha/controlling/borderline rapey.

Defiantly a great addition to th...more
Amy A
I really liked this short story with Archimedes and Yasmeen. Meljean Brook is really good at being able to tell a whole story in a limited amount of space. It obviously helps that the world has already been established in Heart of Steel.

I liked the developed relationship between Yasmeen and Archimedes and that Brook shows that just becuase they care for each other doesn't mean it's a weakness. It makes them more dangerous if either one is threatened.

I love the world that Meljean Brook has crea...more
Esperanza
I just loved it. Yasmeen and Archimedes are still trying to deal with being married and living the live of captain when trouble ensues. An old acquaintance of Archimedes returns to enlist their help. He then takes drastic measures to ensure that he gains their cooperation. What he comes to find out is that they don't do anything that they don't want to do.

If this novella was a full length book, it could have gone on and on. We get everything and more that we can hope for, plus it also gives us...more
Visionary

... The continuation adventure of Yasmeen and Archimedes Fox from HEART OF STEEL.

Yasmeen's character was first introduced in The Iron Sea. She's a tough, independent female air-ship captain. Actually fell in love with her character and admired her from that first book. Then got all excited when I learned Heart of Steel is about her.

In Heart of Steel we learn that Yasmeen and Archimedes always "had" history.. Just not what people would expect really. These two characters are so opposite that it...more
Eneida
Archimedes and Yasmeen are by far my favorites within this series. Their love is so sweet and there is an undertone of true romance and love that makes me believe everything as if they were real individuals. Their playfulness and the trust they have for each other is great. It was hard for me, as well, when Archimedes was affected by the machine but I was glad he was able to fight back in his own way. I would have preferred a much more aggressive approach to Bilson - especially after having foun...more
Cindy Neary
Great plot and strong romance.

Great plot and strong romance.

Fun steam punk romance with a tricky villain and a fierce heroine who is in love with her handsome adventurous husband.
Alison
I struggled somewhat with this book. Perhaps because I learned of its existence after I had read the Kraken King which refers to the events in this book, perhaps because after Ariq Archimedes felt like a lesser hero. Some of my issues stemmed from my inability to understand some of the interactions between Yasmeen and Archimedes - again, I'm not sure if that was the wine I had consumed or the fact that I had read the previous story about Yasmeen and Archimedes quite a long time ago.

Anyway, once...more
  • Enthralled (Includes; Breeds, #28; League Of The Black Swan, #1.5; Iron Seas, #3.5, Children Of The Moon, #3.5)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • Enigma (Encrypted, #1.5)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Gratuitous Epilogue (Touchstone, #Extra)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Geared for Pleasure
Book info: I am the author of the Iron Seas steampunk romance series. I've written a guide to the world (including a map) on my website.

I also write a paranormal romance series, the Guardians. That series guide is also on my website, including a "The Story So Far" feature, which allows you to catch up on all of the books that previously released in the series if you start after the first installm...more
More about Meljean Brook...
The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) Riveted (Iron Seas, #3) Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1) Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)

“He couldn’t prevent her from feeling any pain, but he could stand beside her through it.” 1 likes