Start by marking “44: Dublin Made Me” as Want to Read:
44: Dublin Made Me

44: Dublin Made Me

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  20 reviews
It is half an hour before midnight in the early 1960s and snow coats the cramped, gray streets of Dublin. On the rooftop of 44 Seville Place, a ten-year-old boy clings to the steel rod of a television antenna.When his father urges him to turn the antenna toward England, the boy reaches up and pictures from a foreign place beam into their home. And our young hero, Peter, an ...more
Published 1999 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about 44, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 44

Kate
As if drawn by a gravitational pull, Irish yarns seem to center on the relationship of children with their mothers. In a break from this natural order, Peter Sheridan's memoir, 44 Dublin Made Me turns to the bond of a boy with his father for its compelling tale.
Sheridan writes about his childhood with grace and ease. Readers are catapulted into his large Irish family in 1959 from the first sentence onward.

Peter Sheridan is a good Irish boy who enjoys school and loves the hectic life Dublin offer
Maria
It`s a wonderful book. Its simply a small section of someone`s life, only 12 years of it. This book is about a perfectly normal family struggling through her days and trying to face the obstacles and get through them. The characters are so familiar,you can easily connect your family members, friend and even teachers to them, at least that`s what happened with me. You will find the young innocent children who make your life worth while and usually drive you cray. These children carry many respons ...more
Adrian
Title of the book I read was 44 A Dublin Memoir. Dramatist Sheridan recounts his boyhood in Dublin from the late 1950s and 1960s. Hilarious, wise, sad. It slyly reveals a lot of what makes up the Irish complex by showing how sex, violence, religion and music effect all. His huge riotous family and all the people who stop in at 44 are maddening fun. Well worth the read.
Maryann
This is probably my favorite book by an Irish author (to date!). Peter Sheridan is a master storyteller. I could not put this book down! It was humorous, sad, sweet and enthralling. I found it particularly pertinent because when I read it I was preparing to move to Ireland, so maybe it was just me... but really anyone who likes stories about families and the struggles we go through to remain close would find this a worthwhile read.

Note: I found this book crammed into a shelf in a tiny used book
Marie-louise
Interesting book about a child's/ youths formative years in 1960's Dublin.
John Mccullough
A completely engaging boyhood tale set in Dublin, Ireland. Loved it!
Erica
Jun 14, 2007 Erica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: this too, is well for most people
I learned a few things I didn't know about Dublin before. This is Peter Sheridans childhood story, telling of him and his family, their lodgers, school and the city they live in. It was fun to read about Dublin in the sixties straight after Angela's Ashes, which is in Limerick in the fifties. It was also a bad thing to read it after Angela's Ashes, because it really doesn't compare. Still, I really liked it and found it funny and even moving at times. Can be recommended.
Leona Sheehy
This book is funny, but at the same time it draws strength from its sadness. The characters are well drawn and by the end we feel we too have had access to Number 44.
It touches on the issue of the institutional abuse of children which has been dominating the news lately but the writing is so good that it does not dwell, it just highlights.
It leaves you wanting to read more and that can only be a good thing.
Ed Mallari
I randomly picked this book up in a little discount bookstore in Manila, Philippines almost a decade ago, it was my first "memoir" and I truly enjoyed it. Personally, being naturally close to my family, it was easy for me to relate to its characters. It necessarily does not paint a beautiful picture but that is what I found most appealing.
Nancy Brady
This is the story of Peter Sheridan's life in Dublin during the '50s and '60s...sometimes funny, sometimes sad, and sometimes overshadowed by his Da! Having read the "sequel" to it first, this one was easier to get into than the other and makes the other one more understandable. Both are worthy reads, but best to read this one first.
Ann
If you're tired of the modern same old, here's a book to brighten your reading days or nights. It's a memoir of growing up in Dublin in the sixties. Of course there is some heartache but mostly its funny, funny, funny. The hero, his parents, siblings and friends will entertain and delight you.
Terrill
I enjoyed this story of a boy growing up in Dublin in the 50's and 60's. It was kind of refreshing to read a memoir of an Irish childhood in which the father is not a good-for-nothing drunk. In fact, Peter Sheridan's father kept reminding me of John Galbraith, the father in Cheaper by the Dozen.
Kelly Holland
A memoir set in the 1960's in Dublin, Ireland. The relationship between father and son is a source of frustration, bewilderment and love. Sneak peek at Christian Brothers schooling, the Sgt Pepper album release and the opening of your home to lodgers - for better or worse. Good read.
L.
Not as good as Angela's Ashes, but also less dire. The father isn't a drunk, and he has a regular job. Still it's a great story about growing up in not-perfect circumstances. The mental picture in my head of young Peter on the roof with the aerial at age 8 is a scream.
Trevor
This memoir of Irish playwright Peter Sheridan (brother of director Jim Sheridan) is an ode to 1960s Dublin and the strength of family bonds. Its style and wit are perfect examples of the storytelling and humour that Ireland is known for.
Marja
Peter Sheridan was unfamiliar for me when I started this book but after somewhat slow start I really enjoyed his memoir of growing up in Dublin in 1960's. I felt their ups and downs and was sad to let them go.
Kelly O'connor
I expected something of the calibre of Nuala O'Faiolain or Frank McCourt but was unpleasantly surprised to find that Peter Sheridan is neither
Rebekkila
Apr 02, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Nancy
Not just another Angela's Ashes. Peter Sheridan is a terrific writer.
Tommy
Feb 09, 2008 Tommy marked it as read_me_piles
1st US Edition / 1st printing
Andreea Guicin
Andreea Guicin is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Micaela Prachel
Micaela Prachel marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Carol Whitley
Carol Whitley marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jennifer Tait
Jennifer Tait marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
  • Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women
  • Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916
  • Jaywalking with the Irish
  • Almost There
Every Inch of Her Big Fat Love 47 Roses: A Story of Family Secrets and Enduring Love Nuoruuteni Dublin Na de dood van mijn vader