The Sound of Mountain Water

The Sound of Mountain Water

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A book of timeless importance about the American West, our "native home of hope."

The essays, memoirs, letters, and speeches in this volume were written over a period of twenty-five years, a time in which the West witnessed rapid changes to its cultural and natural heritage, and Wallace Stegner emerged as an important conservationist and novelist. This collection is divided...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1969)

Into the Wild by Jon KrakauerWalden by Henry David ThoreauA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerStumbling Thru by A. Digger Stolz
Best Books about the Great Outdoors
33rd out of 124 books — 71 voters
A Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfWalden by Henry David ThoreauA Collection of Essays by George OrwellThe Complete Essays by Michel de MontaigneEssays and Lectures by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Best/Favorite Books of Essays
127th out of 368 books — 127 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette
I enjoyed the first 169 pages of this book. I won't be reading beyond that. From page 170 on, the pieces are better suited to a college course on writers of the American West. I'm not fond of reading writers writing about the writing of other writers. The one exception being book introductions, which are often helpful.

I really liked the pieces I did read because I have been to or near most of the places he wrote about: Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon, southern Utah, Mojave Desert. It wa...more
Kathy
An interesting combination of thoughts about the West and thoughts about authors and books. This is a collection of essays. Several of which describe trips in the Western states in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. Relaxing to read. Most of all, I am inspired now to seek out and read more books by Wallace Stegner, of which there are several, fortunately.
Catherine
Stegner doesn't disappoint in this collection of essays written a number of years ago. In "Coda" he eloquently defends wilderness and public lands.
Mehrsa
This book really annoyed me and is the reason I am not a Stegnar fan. It's a compilation of essays by Stegnar about the Western man. I think it's arrogant and condescending. In one essay, he talks about how no one wants to hear about the Western man and how he (no doubt referring to himself) is screwed because he is too good and doesn't have the paranoia, disease, and narcissism that most of the "freak" writers have--like the blacks and homosexuals, etc. I don't think he meant anything racist or...more
Milo
Nov 16, 2008 Milo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: michelle mccall
Stegner has earned the title of Dean of Western Writing and rightly so, at least in the realm of essay. His greatest commercial successes have been with his novels [Angle, Crossing to Safety, etc]. For those of us who live in the west and love it, Mountain Water shows us is a great writer's words why we do so. By far his best book of essays and is highly recommended.
John
This was a great book to take camping in the Wasatch Mountains. Listening to Big Cottonwood Creek take a bite out of the canyons while reading about Stegner's journeys in similar landscapes was like connecting with an old friend. I even enjoyed his semi-cranky fusty criticisms of hippies in the last third of the essays.
Heather Roberts
this book of essays has been my companion on all of this year's land trips and (almost) daily walks and hikes. i never tired of stegner's observant environmental history, beauty, culture. the sunset this evening that accompanied this completion was and felt truly vibrant. there could have been no better partner.
Emilydodge
loved the first half, not so much the second. I enjoy reading about stegner's personal experiences, and about places in the west. for some reason the second half in which he talks about writing about the west did not interest me as I hoped it would.
Julia
A wonderful collection of essays. I was surprised to find myself enjoying the essays in the second half - which was more about writing and historiography - even more than those in the first, which were not bad at all. Highly recommended.
Renah
Excellent. Love his writing, love his insight on topics of as much importance now as they were when the essays were written. Stegner is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
Tattered Cover Book Store
This book was recomended by author William deBuys as part of the Rocky Mountain Land Library's "A Reading List For the President Elect: A Western Primer for the Next Administration."
Nate Steed
A book of Stegner's essays on environmentalism and conservatism. Some reads are better than others, but it's a good book to take on a camping trip and read in the forest.
Bud Evans
Collection of essays. Wonderful essay on Glen Canyon and another on the importance of wilderness. If you like Stegner you'll like this.
Gay
Nov 27, 2007 Gay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lit
Great book to read to English classes. Lots of philosophical discussion erupts. Not too mention how to describe a simple crossroads.
Rosa
More series than his Collected Stories, but I love Stegner's passion for the environment and for the American West as it was.
Drew Johnson
..Westerner can show the hopeless where hope comes from
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jocelyn Mullen
Jocelyn Mullen marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jenifer Ross-amato
Jenifer Ross-amato marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Kenneth Johnson
Kenneth Johnson marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Wallace Earle Stegner (February 18, 1909—April 13, 1993) was an American historian, novelist, short story writer, and environmentalist. Some call him "The Dean of Western Writers."
More about Wallace Stegner...
Angle of Repose Crossing to Safety The Big Rock Candy Mountain The Spectator Bird All the Little Live Things

“Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed ... We simply need that wild country available to us, even if we never do more than drive to its edge and look in.” 135 likes
“One cannot be pessimistic about the West. This is the native home of hope. When it fully learns that cooperation, not rugged individualism, is the quality that most characterizes and preserves it, then it will have achieved itself and outlived its origins. Then it has a chance to create a society to match its scenery.” 22 likes