Start by marking “You Only Love Twice” as Want to Read:
You Only Love Twice

You Only Love Twice

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Bestselling author Elizabeth Thornton triumphs with this thrilling blend of sensuous historical romance and heart-stopping suspense.

For three years she’s been a mystery even to herself—a young woman who awoke in a London convent bereft of her memory. But now Jessica Hayword knows her name, her birthplace, and one other thing: By some terrifying twist of fate, she has the
Published February 2nd 1998 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about You Only Love Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Only Love Twice

All My Love, Detrick by Roberta KaganA Flicker of Light by Roberta KaganOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyYou Are My Sunshine by Roberta Kagan1984 by George Orwell
Perfect Books!
9th out of 109 books — 13 voters
Seduction by Amanda QuickThe Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyThe Paid Companion by Amanda QuickOnly A Hero Will Do by Susan LodgeDeception by Amanda Quick
Historical Romantic Suspense
6th out of 95 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Ririn
A well written book, but too much misunderstanding between the hero and heroin. Their chemistry was not strong enough to pull out the (mis)trust issue. Sad to say, for a romance book, I was more into the mystery than the romance.
Elizabeth
Scooby-dooby doo, where are you?

I really wanted to like this book more, but it just kept reminding me of a scooby do episode. The romance and the main characters could have used more development but more significantly the main plot device just made me cringe.

The main character, Sister Margaret, whom we soon learn is actually Jessica, is suffering from amnesia and has been staying in a convent for three years since an accident. Someone finally rescues her so she is brought back to her home town
Amanda
The description of this book is ludicrous as is the first couple chapters. The heroine has a connection with a murderer -- she can tell that he's going to kill again. She must do everything she can to stop him.

The story improves a slight bit from there. Unfortunately, none of the characters are particularly redeeming as they continually do terrible things to each other. If the heroine had any sense, she'd have thrown out the hero on his ear immediately. But I guess wild animal lust or something
Cheryl
This one was just weird. Amnesia sends a girl to a convent for three years, until someone recognizes her, gives her her name and a clue as to where to find her old life.

There's murder and conspiracy and romance... but there's also telepathy? Yeah, that was the weird part. Something you don't expect in the regency formula, and frankly, didn't really need it.

The characters were inconsistent (and I don't mean just because amnesia was involved). The hero was all over the place. Between him and Jess'
~Leslie~
3.5 stars I really vacillate between 3.5 and 4 stars on this one. I really loved the premise of the story, I loved the author's writing, and I thought the execution of the story was very good. The tension was kept throughout and the character development was very good as well. I had never read this author before and so didn't know what to expect. This is somewhat in the gothic romance sphere and I really loved that aspect of it. The story starts with our heroine in a convent hearing a Voice who ...more
Becky
The story wasn't horrible, but most of the dialogue was so stilted it really detracted from my overall enjoyment of this book. There were also some distracting ebook formatting issues that (I hope, anyway) probably wouldn't have existed in the print book. Frequently within conversations a response to the first character's comment was continued on the same line as the original dialogue, which made it challenging to follow the conversation--I often had to stop, go back, and figure out which charac ...more
Joan Osborne
Highly entertaining

This was a highly entertaining romance with just a tiny bit of the paranormal and a whole lot of mystery. Lucas and Jessica were an wonderful couple and I enjoyed their interactions. The story kept me guessing as to who the mysterious VOICE of the murderer was. Also enjoyed the added bonus of a second romance between Lucas's mother Rosemary and Sir Michael. Totally awesome story and one I am likely to never forget.
Jessi
Interesting story. Does it take anyone else awhile to get into stories when characters have their names? Just me? Okay.
So. Jessica Hayward lost her memory and has spent the last three years living with nuns. But, lately, she's been hearing a voice in her head. One that wants to kill. Then one day someone recognizes her and she is returned to her home, to people who are less than thrilled she's returned.
The local earl, Lucas Wilde, is a former crush of Jessica's. In fact, she tormented him. To th
Melann
Le livre avait le potentiel mais il manque à chaque fois quelque chose. L'auteur ne va jamais à fond des sentiments des personnages, qui sont très sympathiques. Il manque une certaine intensité, dommage.
Jessica
I was lured in by the promise of Gothic shenanigans but gave up due to irritating, cardboard cliché characters. DNF at 100 pages.
Michelle Robinson
I was disappointed with the direction that the author chose to go with her book, sounds silly, I know. I expected more depth and while I stopped reading shortly after finding out the trite ( though meanspirited) reason everyone dislikes our heroine, I would have rather the reason be related to the heroine and her character. It would have been more interesting, in my opinion, to see her have real character issues to work through. Or to learn some negative things about herself and face those, othe ...more
Kristen
Surprisingly good. With the murder mystery at its heart, this book was impossible to put down!
Elaine Mcdonald
It was very difficult to get into this book. It turned out to be pretty good.
Sarah Paulson
Pretty enjoyable read, but nothing special or to write home about.
Anneliese Bennion
My favorite part about this book is finding out about Jessica's past when she does. She has lost her memory and lived in a convent for three years. Then someone recognizes her and she is forced to go back to her childhood home. While there she is trying to retrieve her lost memories, catch her father's murderer and figure out whether she really was in love Lucas, her next door neighbor, before she lost her memory. I liked how you were always guessing who the murderer might be, and besides the nu ...more
Olivia
This was almost a carbon copy of Mary Stewart's Touch Not the Cat. Heroine with a phychic ablility to connect with another person, the heroine's father is murdered and she is trying to find the killer, and throw in a love story. Not a bad story, just not great. I found the lost memory of the heroine to be a bit much, but almost believeable. At least the writing was very good and I did like the characters.
Sheila
I read this book piecemeal in between bouts of packing and moving, and that may have been a bit too distracting. I don't know, though...I liked it up until the end, where seventeen things resolved themselves like ducklings lining up behind their mama. It was kind of dizzying, and I don't think that's the vertigo speaking.
Hess
I surprisingly didn't hate this book. Regency romances don't do it for me....all those heaving bosoms and insipid, shallow women....Urk... This one had lots of those but what I liked was the heroine wasn't one of them...and the hero is not too much of an ass. I'd recommend it if asked.
Joanne
Sadly this author passed on in 2010, but she was one heck of an author!!! I loved this romance historical. Not only romance, but suspense, who done it, which I love, in romance books......love mystery's, suspense and mind reading!!! Excellent read!!!!!!!
penelopewanders
Pretty good read, pretty good suspense. Bit of a delicate balance with the main characters having such contrasting sides to them.
Anita Mccurdy
It was an ok book. Definitely wasn't prepared for some of the twists but it was good.
Alisa Banda
Romance & Mystery. Enjoyed the twists and turns in this book.
Melissa
I contemplated giving up on this book halfway through.
amy
and a half
Donna
Great book.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Bev Ross
Bev Ross marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 09:02AM
  • The Spare
  • Tempting a Devil (The Saint’s Devils, #2)
  • Uncommon Vows
  • The King's Mistress
  • Flame (MacPherson Clan, #5)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)
  • Warrior's Lady (Stones of Destiny, #3)
  • The Scottish Companion
  • Her Reluctant Groom (The Grooms, #2)
  • Two Weeks With a Stranger
  • The Devil Earl (Regency Quartet, #2)
  • To Seduce A Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #3)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • The Unforgettable Husband (Amnesia)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • An Unmistakable Rogue (Rogues Club, #3)
  • A Rose in Winter
  • For the Love of a Soldier
Mary Forrest George, née Baxter was born and educated in Aberdeen, Scotland, where she taught school for a number of years before establishing her own nursery school, St. Swithin Street Nursery School, an institution that is still going strong today.

She and her husband then emigrated to Canada with their three young sons. She taught kindergarten and Grade One for a number of years in Winnipeg, Man
More about Elizabeth Thornton...
The Marriage Trap (Trap, #1) The Pleasure Trap (Trap, #3) The Perfect Princess (Men of Special Branch #3) Whisper His Name (Men from Special Branch #1) The Bachelor Trap (Trap, #2)