Start by marking “Against Security: How We Go Wrong at Airports, Subways, and Other Sites of Ambiguous Danger” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews

Remember when an unattended package was just that, an unattended package? Remember when the airport was a place that evoked magical possibilities, not the anxiety of a full-body scan? In the post-9/11 world, we have become focused on heightened security measures, but do you feel safer? Are you safer?
"Against Security" explains how our anxieties about public safety have tr
Published August 26th 2012 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about Against Security, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against Security

Mike
Apr 03, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
As someone who travels enough to be firmly against current security protocols, I picked this book thinking it would be aid and comfort to all who find the "security theater" perpetrated by TSA to be frustrating, depressing, and ultimately useless (to say nothing of expensive for taxpayers). Perhaps those frustrations are better sated by "Ask the Pilot" and other insider blogs about airport security.
Instead, the author talks about the unintended consequences of government actions to respond to th
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it really liked it
Molotch offers a fresh, provocative perspective, absent the diatribes we almost always hear whenever security is the topic. He successfully explains the problems with our current approach, starting with a foundation about the real trade-offs we need to understand. More security might, at best, mean more safety. It also means other type of risk can increase, as our very way of life is eroded in the process. I've read a number of commentaries with similar arguments, but none were this thoughtful.
Michael Berman
The author took an interesting topic (the rise of the "security" state, and the unquestioned primacy that security gets over other issues and turned it into a boring mess of a book. Some of the chapters (public bathrooms, hurricane preparation) deal with security in only the broadest sense, and not in a way that was at all interesting. Even the chapters on interesting, relevant topics were so full of sociological jargon as to be almost unreadable. Very disappointing.
Dec 24, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent example of a sociologist who can write well and puts his sociological imagination to work even while he waits in line at the airport or tries to understand the trouble with public bathrooms.

His argument is that if we trust most people to be mostly helpful, especially during crises we will design differently and likely end up with a more resilient material culture in the toughest times and a more pleasant set of surroundings the rest of the time. Bad things will still happen
Simon Greenwood
Simon Greenwood marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Jakob Fix
Jakob Fix marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ine
Ine marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Irietea
Irietea rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Mr Stephen Thomas
Mr Stephen Thomas rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Laura Norén
Laura Norén rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Orton
Orton marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Barteverett
Barteverett rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Dick Tinto
Dick Tinto marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Teague
Teague marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Ginger
Ginger marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Don
Don rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Michael Shulman
Michael Shulman marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
T H
T H rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Eske
Eske marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Raven
Raven rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 20, 2014
Christopher Seaman
Christopher Seaman rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Tom Meehan
Tom Meehan rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2014
William Barry
William Barry rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014