Start by marking “Against Security: How We Go Wrong at Airports, Subways, and Other Sites of Ambiguous Danger” as Want to Read:

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  4 reviews

Remember when an unattended package was just that, an unattended package? Remember when the airport was a place that evoked magical possibilities, not the anxiety of a full-body scan? In the post-9/11 world, we have become focused on heightened security measures, but do you feel safer? Are you safer?

"Against Security" explains how our anxieties about public safety have tr
Published August 26th 2012 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about Against Security, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against Security

Mike
As someone who travels enough to be firmly against current security protocols, I picked this book thinking it would be aid and comfort to all who find the "security theater" perpetrated by TSA to be frustrating, depressing, and ultimately useless (to say nothing of expensive for taxpayers). Perhaps those frustrations are better sated by "Ask the Pilot" and other insider blogs about airport security.
Instead, the author talks about the unintended consequences of government actions to respond to th
JP
Molotch offers a fresh, provocative perspective, absent the diatribes we almost always hear whenever security is the topic. He successfully explains the problems with our current approach, starting with a foundation about the real trade-offs we need to understand. More security might, at best, mean more safety. It also means other type of risk can increase, as our very way of life is eroded in the process. I've read a number of commentaries with similar arguments, but none were this thoughtful.
Michael Berman
The author took an interesting topic (the rise of the "security" state, and the unquestioned primacy that security gets over other issues and turned it into a boring mess of a book. Some of the chapters (public bathrooms, hurricane preparation) deal with security in only the broadest sense, and not in a way that was at all interesting. Even the chapters on interesting, relevant topics were so full of sociological jargon as to be almost unreadable. Very disappointing.
This is an excellent example of a sociologist who can write well and puts his sociological imagination to work even while he waits in line at the airport or tries to understand the trouble with public bathrooms.

His argument is that if we trust most people to be mostly helpful, especially during crises we will design differently and likely end up with a more resilient material culture in the toughest times and a more pleasant set of surroundings the rest of the time. Bad things will still happen
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 20, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
John Ridener
John Ridener marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
michele
michele marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Pamela Woodruff
Pamela Woodruff marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kristin D'urso
Kristin D'urso marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Jennifer Brown
Jennifer Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Johnna
Johnna marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Kate Fritz
Kate Fritz marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Cso
Cso marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Scott Jenkins
Scott Jenkins marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Toilet: Public Restrooms and the Politics of Sharing Where Stuff Comes from: How Toasters, Toilets, Cars, Computers and Many Other Things Come to Be as They Are Against Security: How We Go Wrong at Airports, Subways, and Other Sites of Ambiguous Danger Toilet (NYU Series in Social and Cultural Analysis) Fenomenologia Del Tostapane: Come Gli Oggetti Quotidiani Diventano Quello Che Sono