Start by marking “All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe” as Want to Read:
All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe

All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In mid-1943 James Megellas, known as “Maggie” to his fellow paratroopers, joined the 82d Airborne Division, his new “home” for the duration. His first taste of combat was in the rugged mountains outside Naples.

In October 1943, when most of the 82d departed Italy to prepare for the D-Day invasion of France, Lt. Gen. Mark Clark, the Fifth Army commander, requested that the d
Published March 4th 2003 by Presidio Press

To ask other readers questions about All the Way to Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Way to Berlin

Tstultz69
I was travelling through the Dallas airport and saw a retired military man doing a book signing. I am sure I had just finished some testosterone filled spy novel and was looking for something to get me home. Also, I was not about to walk away from a man that reminded me of my grandpa Crumet, and how he risked his life in the greatest war of all time. I am a proud owner of a signed copy of this book.
War accounts are generally written by the men who commanded the troops. Rarely do you read an art
Dalton
First off, this is probably my new favorite book and I recommend it to anyone who is interested with World War II or is just looking for a good book. I thought he did a great job with voice, making it come alive, and using a great variety of words to say the same thing. I think this is a special book because it wasn't written by historians or high prestige generals and such, but instead by someone who was actually there doing the fighting. It gives the individual battles more meaning then in mos ...more
John Nevola
A warrior’s tale told modestly in the first person, this chronicle of H Company of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II is bound to please the most diehard fans of the airborne as well as students of the Second World War. “Maggie” was a strange nickname for a fearless fighter but that is how he was known to his fellow paratroopers.

Assigned to the 504th PIR while they were in Italy, Maggie missed fighting in Sicily with the 82nd Airborne Division. When the rest of the division w
Wesley
This book is a war memoir from a very highly decorated WWII vet who saw a considerable amount of front line action. It's amazing what Megellas lived through and it's obvious that he was a top notch soldier. However, it's worth keeping in mind that this book was written by a retired soldier, not a writer. It was also written by the type of person who signs up to be a paratrooper. Neither of those are necessarily bad things. In fact, I'd say that this book is much more authentic than most accounts ...more
Steve
Amazing account of James "Maggie" Megellas who led H Company, 504 Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne into the bloodiest battles from Italy to Germany. They took part in the failed joint Allied operation in Holland known as Market Garden and fought in the cold of the Ardennes in Belgium known as the Battle of the Bulge.
Chris
I really liked reading this book, it was well written and offered keen insight into some basic leadership ideas. I also appreciated reading about the personal views of battle presented by the author and other paratroopers who served in the 504th Parachute Regiment of the 82nd Airborne
Chris D

I really like the way the book is told. It makes the war sound much more interesting when told from the perspective of one of the men in it. It has just the right amount of action and story telling.
James White
Very anecdotal but I found extremely interesting tale from the ground level. His insight into what those at the front were actually thinking and how they acted definitely provided new insight to me.
Tim
A great accounting of events in the European Theater of WWII. An excellent companion is Band of Brothers (TV Series). I also recommend A Bridge Too Far (Movie), as a contrast.
Beth/Chuck
Father's Day gift from Matt and Keri that was signed by the author. Well written, the author does not omit the grisly details of hand to hand combat.
Marty
The book is enjoyable, but very poorly written.
Rose
Dec 26, 2008 Rose added it
940.54 Meg
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Berserkr
Berserkr marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
stephen nico
stephen nico marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Owwyeah
Owwyeah marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Oskar Meadowfield
Oskar Meadowfield marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
  • China Marine: An Infantryman's Life After World War II
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • A War to be Won: Fighting the Second World War
  • The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
  • Forgotten Land: Journeys Among the Ghosts of East Prussia
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • A Soldier's Story
  • Given Up for Dead: America's Heroic Stand at Wake Island
  • The Iraq War: The Military Offensive, from Victory in 21 Days to the Insurgent Aftermath
  • Europa, Europa
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day