Start by marking “Two Graves (Pendergast, #12)” as Want to Read:
Two Graves (Pendergast, #12)

Two Graves (Pendergast #12)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  11,409 ratings  ·  1,283 reviews

After his wife, Helen, is brazenly abducted before his eyes, Special Agent Pendergast furiously pursues the kidnappers, chasing them across the country and into Mexico. But then, things go terribly, tragically wrong; the kidnappers escape; and a shattered Pendergast retreats to his New York apartment and shuts out the world.

But when a string of bizarre murders erupts acros
Published December 11th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2012)

Shelley Fearn
Timothy Dalton
This was definitely one of the more sour tasting Pendergast novels. I had several upsets along the way. Some of the wording in the book was very repetitive, not just used often but used close together as well. For example - As he dove under the water the propeller missed his head by inches. He breached the surface and a gunshot rang out missing his head by inches.

There were a lot of missed by mere inch moments. I feel overall revelations in this book jump the shark, perhaps even a few times. Als
Connie
I think my crush on Pendergast is over for the very simple reason that the authors deviated too far from what every gothic writer worth her salt knows: less is more. Especially when you are dealing with a gothic hero. Like Pendergast. I miss the enigmatic Pendergast of earlier novels, the man of mystery, the unexplored country.

I know too much now and sadly, much of what I know has me saying, "meh."

In this book, I see where the authors tried to take that extra step into something with more moral
Nikol
*** mild spoilers***

Like many of the other reviewers, I am pleased that the Helen trilogy has concluded. The last book was a cliffhanger and I was impatiently waiting for this final installment. I read this one, as I have the others, in about two days. While it was a fast and fun read, I find the antics of AXLP to be rather obnoxious these days. I firmly believe that a reader can and should suspend reality in favor of a good book, however, I find that my suspension of reality is exceeding even t
Christine
Over the course of the previous books in the series Pendergast has been led to believe that his wife Helen was killed by a lion and then died at the hands of a murderer. As this book opens we learn that neither of these is true and Helen is still very much alive. At their touching reunion in Central Park, where despite everything Pendergast wants to begin their life together again Helen is abducted. With his dream of a happy life together torn from before his very eyes Pendergast slips into a de ...more
Babs
As soon as Preston & Child's new book, Two Graves, hit the stands my husband got it for me and here I sit now wondering in what direction the next one will go. I could put the book down only when duty called but I just wanted to lose myself in it.
Pendergast is back and Helen is for a few pages. But this book takes turns...we go back into the undergrand and we see things we never have before.
We meet people we never have before and we see Pendergast facing emotional pain, fearing he won't be a
Dennis Royer
A 2012 Most Memorable Book Selection

Latest in the series featuring FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast. I absolutely love this character. He’s the human equivalent of the honey badger, he just doesn’t give a s**t, and nobody and nothing stands in his way. I find the series especially appealing because of its rich character development and how the authors weave supernatural elements into their story in a manner that allows me to suspend my disbelief. NOTE: Two Graves will not work for you as a
Andres
*SPOILER FREE* Review of Two Graves, but really my thoughts on the Helen Trilogy.

I've been a Lincoln/Child/Agent Pendergast fan since that very first adventure underneath the museum all those years ago. I've liked just about every book the two have put out together, with the huge exception of the newer Gideon Crew series---those are just terrible.

So it was with great glee that I read the advanced reader copy of Two Graves that came across my desk at work. Finally, I thought, all the answers to t
Dagny
How do Preston and Child come up with these plots? I don't usually like third person narration which goes back and forth between different characters and situations, but each of these was so exciting that this one worked for me. A bit too much fighting/battling near the end for my taste, but loved the twists and turns.
C.
Becky
Wow. Absolutely wow. The only downside is they did the Brimstone thing again. In the book Brimstone, half of the book is about Pendergast and D'Agosta, and the other half about a rally in New York. In Two Graves it divides into three separate plots, Pendergast, Corrie Swanson, and Dr. Felder (he's the court appointed psychiatrist to Constance Greene.) Pendergast does not have a sidekick in this book, he comes into orbit with D'Agosta, Constance, Corrie and Viola briefly. The Dr. Felder plot does ...more
Kris
Mild spoilers below.

Wrap-up of the Helen Trilogy (Fever Dream, Cold Vengeance). I would give it 3 1/2 stars if I could. A twisty plot involving brutal murders, a serial killer, Nazis, revenge. Resolution of the Constance Greene subplot. Several shocks for Pendergast. I didn't enjoy the Helen Trilogy as much as I did the Diogenes Trilogy, but overall it was a story arc that built up steam toward the end and provided Aloysius some closure on several levels.

However, one habit Preston & Child ha
Dianne
FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast is part Sherlock Holmes, part eccentric, brilliant and a force to be reckoned with. In spite of grave injuries, no sleep, odds against him, he is unstoppable-you get the idea! He is one of the most unique protagonists in the thriller genre today! He is often machine-like and mysterious. He is a legend.

The opening pages of the book are cloaked in mystery, an unidentified woman walks slowly through Central Park with her unidentified brother beside her. She is
Mairi
Dec 10, 2012 Mairi added it
Shelves: 2012, arc
Let's be honest: if you're thinking about picking this up, at book twelve in the Pendergast series and the third of three in the Helen arc, this is probably not your first Preston & Child rodeo*. You know what to expect. You know, going into it, whether or not you're going to enjoy it. In fact, the only reason you pick it up is because you know you will. You'll get that itch scratched.

It's been a quietly unfolding revelation over the last few (including the Gideon books) but I've realized t
Susan Tunis
This is the novel fans have been waiting for…

When last I reviewed, Pendergast and I were enjoying a heady reunion. But always another woman got in the way. It was always Helen, Helen, Helen--the man was obsessed! Therefore, it is no surprise to find this final volume of Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's latest trilogy entirely devoted to the mystery of the woman who was Aloysius Pendergast's long-lamented wife.

I was frustrated, not merely by the Special Agent's eternal preoccupation, but by
Ron
When the focus of the series was on how this impossible character Pendergast figures out perfectly good scientific explanations for seemingly "supernatural" phenomena, like "zombies" and museum monsters, and the reasons for John James Audubon's descent into madness at the end of his life (a weird symptom of a weird bird flu),the books were fun. But this one has to resort to evil Nazis in Brazil making a race of ubermensch to form the basis of a new army to conquer the world. And of course, the u ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Interesting
Rating: R
Overall: I was thoroughly entertained
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Pendercast has lost his way and this time it maybe him who needs saving
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Tristram (Not sure on spelling, listened)

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

This book was a roller coaster ride and not so much an emotional one where as a plot pacing one. There were points it moved fast and others it moved slow. It wasn’t my favor
Skip
Maybe this deserves a slightly higher rating, but I felt the book was bloated by one senseless subplot involving Corrie Swanson and a second mostly irrelevant subplot involving Constance Green and her doctor. Nonetheless, Agent Pendergast once pulled out of his deep, almost suicidal depression after failing to protect a loved one gets back into his manic personality trying to stop a serial killer, who is murdering hotel guests in NY City and leaving an extra body part at each crime scene: an int ...more
Sue
The story of Helen is ended. A bit drawn out it seems to me. I have enjoyed the Pendergast novels for some time now but this outing did not hold together for me as past ones have. Too disjointed, too many parts forming the whole. It was nice to see old friends Corrie, Constance, D'Agosta and meet new ones, but there were just so many stories.

Maybe it's me and I wasn't in the right mood for the book right now. Ah well. We'll see with the next one, for I will be back to visit Pendergast again.

(not
Tiffany
Reading this book, I gasped, aw'd, nearly cried, growled with frustration, giggled with delight, slammed the book shut only to reopen it moments later to alleviate my aggravation. By the end of the book, the only feeling that stayed with me was... warm and fuzzy.

Quite possibly this year's best ending to one of the greatest trilogies in the thriller genre. A definite New York Times #1 best seller.
Mallory Heart
26 stars
Two Graves by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Pendergast #12)
5 stars

I have yet to be disappointed in a Pendergast series novel. Every one is so exceptional, so incredible, so “beyond.” The most recent three (“Fever Dreams,” “Cold Vengeance,” now “Two Graves”) are even above and beyond the peak reached, in my humble and outspoken opinion, in “The Cabinet of Curiosities” and “Still Life with Crows.”

I hesitate to say too much about the plotlines, so I will just add that “Two Graves” mark
Victoria
Finally - the latest Pendergast novel and the conclusion of the “Helen” trilogy!!! It has been just over a year since I last read the preceding novel, Cold Vengeance, and after finishing this Christmas present altogether too quickly, I am contemplating re-reading the series in its entirety so the wait won’t feel as long for the thirteenth book! The book opens up with a bit of refresher in the last climatic moments of the eleventh book. Actually, the authors do a wonderful job of summarizing the ...more
Brooke
I'm rating this book 4 stars out of relief that Preston & Child were finally interesting again, but it's not lacking flaws. I will start with the positive and say that while their last couple books bored me and lacked all sense of urgency, I sped through this one very quickly and actually felt quite pained to have to put it down to sleep and cook and go to work. I was genuinely curious to know where it was going.

On the downside, it's just a bit disjointed. There are a whole bunch of differe
Cheryl
This is the third book in the "Helen trilogy". Wow! This book is packed with surprises. Very fast-paced, even though three actual story-lines are addressed in the plot. We learn more about Corrie and about Constance, along with Helen's strange background. There is a bit of a loose end in the story, which I'm sure will be addressed in a future book. Lots of action and excitement. A very satisfying read.
Nilesh
The book goes from sublime to ridiculous, and multiple times. Continuing from where the Cold Vengeance left off, the plot thickens beautifully. In a lucid style, the author not only moves the previous intrigues ahead while answering at least a few right in early pages, he beautifully introduces new characters, action and twists.

Spoilers ahead
Before the story somewhat needlessly splits in three with absolutely nothing joining them even at the end, the first third of the book has good murder myste
Leah
Dec 17, 2012 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pendergast fans
Shelves: pendergast
This is the third book in the Helen trilogy so of you haven't read the others, definitely read them first. Better yet, start at the very beginning with Relic so you'll appreciate all of the references and characters in later books.

This was an excellent finale to the Helen trilogy! I absolutely loved it. I read the whole book out loud to my boyfriend over the past few days which forced me to slow down and really enjoy it, rather than blazing through it in one long night. It was fantastic. There'
Matt Schiariti
**this gets 3.5 stars**

For years, Special Agent Pendergast has been living under false pretenses: that his beloved wife Helen was dead, killed by lion while on safari. He now knows different. He makes it his mission in life to get her back and just when they're about to be reunited, she's snatched away from him once again. Pendergast sets out to find her but it's not so simple. A much larger plot is at hand. A brazen serial killer is slaughtering seemingly random people in hotels in Manhattan. T
Patricia Kurz
Like any addiction, the original ecstasy never returns. That is to say honeymoons end. I came late to the series, starting only this year with Still Life with Crows, and I followed it with everything up and until the long wait for Two Graves. Each book subsequent to Still Life was slightly a let down -- none brought me back to the peak of nirvana of the first. This is not to say that the others were poor or unreadable or unrecommendable; only that I could not regain the effects of Still Life.

Aw
Andi
Don't even read the *description* for the book -- major spoiler! This series needs to be read in order, or you'll wind up losing a lot of the narrative tension.

This book draws a story arc that started out slowly in "Fever Dream" to a shocking, explosive conclusion, and provides satisfactory answers to many teasing plot threads that had been left un-explored in previous books . . . including the story of Constance Greene.

The city is paralyzed by a series of brazen murders by a fiendish perpetrato
Robyn
i loved the earlier preston/child thrillers, the ones that actually had brilliantly imaginative plots...plendergast and d'agosta were fascinating characters whose unique talents and outlooks contributed to the resolution of the plot...but with the shift to the pendergast-focused novels, the very elements that made those early novels shine have diminished, drowned out by pointless chase sequences and disconnected, rambling storylines that not only do not come together but seem to have no point be ...more
Great, until the end 14 97 Oct 30, 2014 07:46AM
"White Fire" the New Pendergast book this year 28 192 Aug 13, 2013 07:21PM
Goodreads Librari...: Two Graves audio 3 36 Jul 25, 2013 12:13PM
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan #3)
  • The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines, #1)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • SecondWorld
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston...

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
Relic (Pendergast, #1) The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) Reliquary (Pendergast, #2) Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1) The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)

“F. Scott Fitzgerald’s quotation: The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function?” 0 likes