Start by marking “Once More, Miranda” as Want to Read:
Once More, Miranda

Once More, Miranda

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Book by Wilde, Jennifer
Published August 8th 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Once More, Miranda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once More, Miranda

Misfit
Hmmm. How to recap this without giving too much away? Plus it's been days since I finished it.

The details of the birth and early childhood of Miranda James are pretty complicated, plus you don't want me spoiling it. So let's just say she was the legitimate daughter of the younger brother of some lordling in Cornwall who wed the governess. Tragic events happened that resulted in mom and daughter being sent away with enough money to live comfortably on, but more tragic events happened and they bec...more
Mermarie
Part of my abject fascination with Jennifer Wilde, revolves around the fact that Jennifer Wilde was merely a pseudonym for Thomas Huff, a male romance novel writer! and the other reasoning came when I discovered he somewhat resembled Cam Gordon, when he was younger. I’m always eager to hear romance spoken from a male perspective, well—if it’s genuine enough. Beer-chugging robot sex-slaves could make it less than worth my while, you see.

The two love stories wrapped into one, was a delightful addi...more
Joanne
Miranda James is simply one of the most memorable heroines in historical romance, definitely worthy of taking her place alongside other feisty characters such as Amber St. Clare and Scarlett O'Hara!

From the very first page, I just became absorbed in the story and got completely lost in another world. Great storytelling, rich settings and colorful characters entertain from start to finish. A lonely governess, a sinister master, pirates, prostitutes, actors, authors, pickpockets, dukes, and scoun...more
Shannon
I read this book perhaps twenty years ago and loved it. LOVED it. The witty dialog, the fun characters, the pluck of the heroine...did I mention that I loved it?

Then I read it again recently. It could be too many women's history classes in college, but I could not get past what is clearly domestic violence. The heroine and hero, Miranda and Cam, have violent fights followed up by violent sex. Cam chokes Miranda to the point that she nearly passes out, and yet she stays with him and is even happy...more
jen8998
This is an interesting narrative of Miranda, a girl from the streets of London in the 1800s who works her way up to become a celebrated author. However, the book is marred for me since it comes from the era of bodice rippers and there's a short passage in which the hero becomes violent with the heroine.
Felicediesseredonna
Avventuroso a dir poco, ambientato in una Londra difficile dai sobborghi fumosi, in cui la gente sopravvive con mille espedienti, ma lei non si vende, ruba, ma non vende la sua bellezza. Il lui di questa storia è duro, non ricalca nessun altro personaggio che io avessi incontrato fino a questo libro. Questo è un punto di merito, perché non è banale e il rapporto tra i due è conflittuale, passionale, profondo e mai risolto.
La coppia è davvero unica, vivace, memorabile. Anche la Wilde è una sorpre...more
Maggie61
Jennifer Wilde wrote great historical fiction in the 80's - she was one of my favourites authors, then just disappeared. I loved everything I read of hers.
Toniwake
Read this sooooo long ago! A fairly quintessential trashy romance novel..
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Alessandra Loi
Alessandra Loi is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2014
Saundra Leighton
Saundra Leighton marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Vlatka
Vlatka marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Dendera
Dendera marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Roze
Roze marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Silver
Silver marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
K94tran
K94tran marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Andrea (Catsos Person)
Andrea (Catsos Person) marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Puja Jacob
Puja Jacob is currently reading it
May 23, 2014
Jennifer Wilde is a pseudonym of Tom E. Huff (Thomas Elmer Huff). He also wrote under the names Edwina Marlow, Beatrice Parker, and Katherine St. Clair.
More about Jennifer Wilde...
Love's Tender Fury Angel in Scarlet Love Me, Marietta Dare to Love When Love Commands