Start by marking “The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)

The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Fever Devlin returns home to find a body on his front porch--a corpse that turns out to be a half-brother Fever never knew existed. As Fever sorts through his quirky family history, he slowly pieces together a puzzle of dark suspicion. Martin's Press.
Published May 1st 2004 by Worldwide Library (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Hearth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Hearth

Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: Fever Devlin leaves his university job to return to his home in the Georgia Appalachians, prepared to confront the ghosts of his past. But his arrival is greeted with the discovery of a body on the porch of the family cabin -- a corpse that turns out to be a half brother Fever never knew existed.
The truth about the murder and the secrets surrounding Fever's life remain hidden in the determined silence of the locals. He must sort through his quirky family his
Cheryl
Jun 05, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Anyone that can write "The sky above us staggered under the weight of the stars. The night air, trembling with light rain, seemed uncertain that it would or even could support the weight of all that light. The little cabin, sad as it was, tried its best to present itself somehow better than it was" in a mystery certainly deserves more than cursory attention. Thus begins Phillip DePoy's Fever Devlin series set in rural Georgia. The crime here is that more people haven't discovered this series. Wh ...more
LJ
THE DEVIL'S HEARTH (Amateur Sleuth-Georgia-Cont) – G+
DePoy, Phillip – 1st in series
St. Martin's Press, 2002 – Hardcover
Folklorist Fever Devlin has left academia and is moving back to his family home in the Blue Mountains of Georgia. However, he doesn't expect his reception to be a dead body on his front steps and bullets headed his direction. When he learns with body is that of a half-brother, about whom he never knew, Fever decides he'd better learn more about his past.
*** With a mix of music,
Cornerofmadness
M Christopher
Jun 17, 2014 M Christopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The first book in the series of mysteries featuring folklore professor Fever Devlin, whose return home to the hills of Georgia instigates two murders, other shootings, cryptic hints from the people he thought were his friends, and the invasion of his mountain home by other academics.

I first encountered Phillip DePoy some years ago when he and I corresponded and spoke long-distance about a script of his that my then-company was interested in producing. The production never happened but Mr. DePoy
Cindy
Jan 19, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
This was just not the book for me. I could not relate to the main character, Fever at all. He returns to his boyhood mountain cabin to find a dead body on his porch. He interacts with the town people who all seem weird. The best part of this book for me was the passion for chair-making shown by one of the characters. Other than that, a lose for me.
Anne Kabel
I'm always on the lookout for books similar to one of my favorite authors, Sharyn McCrumb, which are set in the Appalachians and are full of mountain lore. This series seems promising.
lynne naranek
Feb 03, 2008 lynne naranek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Excerpt from Page 4:
"Dev?" (Skidmore) looked off into the woods. "I believe someone's shooting at us with some kind of rifle."

"You might be right, Skid." (Fever) looked at the (broken) window. "Whom, do you suppose, would care to do that?"

"Could be the Devroe boys," he said calmly. "I believe I saw them out hunting earlier this evening."

"We don't look much like wild pigs."

"What should we do?" I asked Skidmore

"Well, he answered with a little jut of his chin, "I believe I'll get out of the way. Th
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #1 Dr. Fever Devilin, folklorist, rural Georgia; cosy, amateur sleuth. Noted academic returns to his roots after twenty years away, and finds friends - and enemies - galore, good food, great music, and several very interesting situations that seem to have just been waiting for him.

With its strong murder mystery plot and a nice bit of “coming of age” folded in, this was very interesting, not overly cute or coyly "downhome-ish". DePoy has taken a sharply plotted murder mystery and mi
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I enjoyed the book but not as much as I have Depoy's other novels
Unfortunately I read Depoy's last book in the Fever Devlin series first - so I went back and started with the first book
This book introduces Fever Devlin who is a prof. at an university in Georgia. This is a unique book as it is not the usual formula type mystery.If you like folklore, this is a book for you. History is written from the stories or folktales told from generation to generation. Sometimes as is human nature the tale is
Sharon Michael
Found this to be a rather strange book, definitely not my usual type of mystery. There were a lot of things I enjoyed about it and a few that more or less left me frowning and shaking my head. Good, vivid characters and lush, almost poetic description of the setting, which works well for the locality.

I found the main character puzzling at times, somewhat of a misfit, returning to his rural home after years away in a city/college employment, incredibly intelligent but confused himself. Author def
Rita
May 03, 2014 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up thinking it would be a ghost story. I've never heard of this author but I'm anxious to read more of his work. The writing was fantastic. Set in the hills of Georgia it teaches about folklore and the ways of back hills people. A new series to look forward to.
Jana Denardo
Jun 24, 2014 Jana Denardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
there is lovely language in this celebration of Appalachian lifestyle. The mystery is almost second fiddle to the main character, Fever. it's more about his life
Pamela Marshall
May 27, 2015 Pamela Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonable mystery that kept me guessing for quite awhile. I did figure it out eventually, but the writing was good. I'd read another by this author.
Jacqui
Mar 15, 2014 Jacqui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, mystery
Folklorist DePoy laces Appalachian tales with a twist of Jung, a splash of Shakespeare and a teaspoon of appalachian moonshine.
Elaine
Mar 14, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: shelfari-mystery
A fresh voice in mystery. I was impressed with his respect for the Blue Ridge culture and his making it accessible for the reader. It brought to life an older way of life which is disappearing. The mystery was predictable, but the characters held my interest to the end. I'll be looking for more books by this author.
April Waller
I actually didn't finish this book. Not that it was bad, I just wasn't into it.
Kenneth Cook
Sep 07, 2015 Kenneth Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doris Cook
Wow!!
Christina
This is (I think) the first in the Fever Develin series from this author. From a 'suggested' link on Amazon, I stumbled onto this series, and have really loved the sense of place (the Georgia Applachians) and the obvious love and respect with which the author views it and its traditions and inhabitants.
Each mystery shows us another slice of life in the tiny town and gives us more background of our protagonist, Fever, in a moving and entertaining way.
Melanti
I like the deadpan, very understated humor as well as the folkloric links, but the Appalachian portrayal seems rather one-sided -- showing just the more old-fashioned side and almost no current culture.

The mystery was decent. It's not truly predictable, but there are plenty of clues to allow you to figure out the culprit long before the end.

Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
With a mix of music, craftsmanship, food and moonshine, we are given a wonderful sense of life in Fever's Appalachia. But DePoy also includes the dark side of folklore and secrets. Fever is an intriguing protagonist supported by interesting secondary characters and a few stereotypes to lighten the mood.
Apr 20, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you look past the author misspelling his own main character's name in the dedication (maybe we can blame the editor?), this is quite the entertaining mystery, set in the Georgia Appalachians. An entry into the tried-and-true genre of A Return to Home and Discovery of Its Secrets.
Annah
May 25, 2012 Annah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book from this author - he sucked me in and didn't let me go. I truly enjoyed it, and didn't guess the solution either. (though maybe that speaks more to my lame-brain than the writer's skill...)

I am looking forward to reading his other books.
Ann
Mar 28, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Once I settled in and got used to the pace and rhythmic nature of the prose, I was hooked. Wonderfully atmospheric, with deep friendships, old loyalties, colorful characters, authentic folklore, a decades old mystery or two.
Sheryl
Jan 21, 2009 Sheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fever Devilin, a folklorist who returns to his small Appalachian hometown, has to find out who is shooting at his friends and family, and what it has to do with secrets from his past.
JoDee
Apr 01, 2011 JoDee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fever Devlin casts a spell on you. The mixture of old mountain magic and real human situations make these books captivating. I haven't read his other (Easy) series, but I hope to do so.
Ruth
Feb 20, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern, series
First in Fever's Appalachian Folklore / mystery series. I liked the characters and the humor. Loved the folklore bits and pieces. Writing was a bit flowery, but a good read.
Laren
Dec 12, 2007 Laren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The mystery itself wasn't all that interesting. But making the main character an academic folklorist made for some very interesting folklore exploration along the way.
Deb
Sep 21, 2008 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deb by: Kathleen
New mystery writer I have not read before. Liked it well enough to look up other Fever DeVilin mysteries.

Fast read - finished in two days.
Annie
Apr 09, 2013 Annie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got tired of listening to two university grads talking like teenagers, and there was too much angst in it.
  • A Darker Justice (Mary Crow, #2)
  • Ascension Day
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)
  • Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1)
  • Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1)
  • Tin City Tinder: A Thriller (Boone Childress Mysteries)
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Bangkok Burn (Bangkok Series #1)
  • Last Respects (Inspector Sloan #10)
  • The Hotel Detective
  • Cutter's Run (Brady Coyne, #15)
  • Silent Snow
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • The Killing Song
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr ...more
More about Phillip DePoy...

Fever Devilin (7 books)
  • The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)
  • December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel (Fever Devilin #7)