Start by marking “Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!” as Want to Read:
Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!

Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!

A kindergarten teacher entertains her students with nonsense words.
Published July 1st 2005 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!

Nickcole
Jul 10, 2016 Nickcole rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5+++

My daughter and I loved reading this book because it was so silly and funny. I also loved it because she could read the book to me without too much help.
Charlotte Burge
Oct 03, 2013 Charlotte Burge rated it really liked it
This is a really fun and clever book focusing around a class of children correcting their 'silly' teacher who gives directions to her class using the wrong words! She creates her own rhyming slang which the children can decipher quite easily!

The author's use of malapropisms makes this book an absolute riot for children in the know! This book is very funny and is very accessible for the Early Years foundation stage as the writing lends itself to a rhythmic and flowing read. The humorous word play
Amy
Sep 09, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it
Grooooooan! It's not just the not-pun-worthy wordplay or the mind-numbing repetition of rhythm. It's that it isn't even trying for more. (Just seeing this makes Daddy's blood boil, he detests it and refuses to read it. Henry doesn't like it much, either, though.) Blech poo.
Kelsey Ruggirello
Feb 05, 2015 Kelsey Ruggirello rated it really liked it
I think this is a cute book for 1st graders, it's about a teacher who is really silly and says all the wrong things but the students know what she means. It's an interesting book and makes it fun to read!
MAYA VANTRECE
Sep 27, 2016 MAYA VANTRECE rated it liked it
Shelves: el-23o, el230-a
This book was a fun, enjoyable read. The book is repetitive with Mrs. Millie saying something that rhymes with what she really means, and the children have to guess and figure it out. This would be fun to read to a 1st grade class. With a 2nd grade class we could use the book, and after the book talk about creating our own rhymes and having other people in the class guess them.
Urs
Sep 28, 2016 Urs rated it it was amazing

Ms. Millie is indeed silly! Sounds a lot like me and my chickenses! I love how the children play along with their wonderful imaginations! ENJOY! more fun with your little one(s)! :D
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
In this repetitive story, the teacher uses malapropisms all day long to make her students laugh. Malaproprisms are words contextually incorrect in meaning that are substituted for a similar sounding correct word, like saying "piece of fly" instead of "piece of pie." Malapropisms can be humorous to kids because they conjure up pictures of silly things. I liked the big, bright, colorful format of this book and the malapropisms themselves. However, the pace of the story was very plodding, and the ...more
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
A teacher keeps her class giggling by using the wrong words, telling them to hang up their “goats,”wash with “soap and walrus,” and to expect “gorilla cheese sandwiches” for lunch. Young listeners would think this book was hilarious even without the illustrations, but Mathieu’s watercolors really bring the action to life. He pictures things as if they were happening the way the teacher says them, not as they are (a big gorilla covered in cheese is sitting between two jumbo slices of bread, ...more
Ina
Sep 10, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Mrs. Millie's class laughs all day at all the silly things she says from "hang up your goats" first thing to "Put on your bats and kittens, butterfly!" (translation: put on your hats and mittens, good-bye!) Kids paint "on the weasel" in art class, say the "frog salute" and are invited to come "sit on the bug" for story time. The students laugh, calling Mrs. Mille silly and provide the correct sentence. All in all a fun read-aloud book, with bright illustrations based on the SILLY phrase. My ...more
Joyce Gilmour
May 08, 2013 Joyce Gilmour rated it it was amazing
Don’t Be Silly, Mrs. Millie! is another in the Mrs. Millie series. These books make great read-alouds and the predictability of the vocabulary makes it super fun! The inclusion of the animals truly brings it right into the world of a child’s imagination. The artwork that complements the fun story just puts it over the top for a wonderful children’s book. I can envision parents reading this one with their children and just being silly and continuing on with their child to make up more sentence ...more
Emily
Dec 23, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-board
While it may be predictable and groan-worthy for adults, this is exactly the kind of humor young kids love. My seven-year-old giggled through the whole book. And I had to chuckle, too, at the gorilla cheese sandwich, illustrated with such an affronted look on the poor primate's face.

For more book reviews, visit my blog, Build Enough Bookshelves.
Aug 26, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Mrs. Millie keeps her class giggling by mis-speaking throughout the school day. She tells them to hang up their "goats", wash their hands with soap and "walrus", and take out their pencils and "penguins". The kiddos in the story (and the ones in the story time) love to correct her. Cartoony colorful illustrations show us all the silliness: goats hanging on hooks, and a walrus at the sink.
Amy Murray
May 27, 2011 Amy Murray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-zoey
Probably one of my daughter's all-time favorite books! They read it frequently at her preschool, and she came home talking about it so often, we bought a copy for ourselves. Great book for little kids who are just figuring out how and why things are silly...fun to watch your child's budding sense of humor.
Blair
Dec 28, 2009 Blair rated it really liked it
This book was cute--a little one note from my perspective, but I admit I'm not the intended audience. My 3 year old IS part of the intended audience, and she finds this book hilarious. She is at a stage where she is fascinated with wordplay and enjoys using the wrong words "accidentally on purpose" to elicit a laugh, just like Mrs. Millie in the book.
Tricia
Aug 19, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
A librarian or teacher would be hard pressed to find preschool/early elementary students who are NOT squealing in hysterics over this book. Mrs. Millie just doesn't seem to get anything right..."don't cut in the lion" rather than line as an example. The results of the text with the silly illustrations are a hit!
Kevin Evans
Dec 01, 2011 Kevin Evans rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordplay
I would use this book to teach students about words that sound similar but are different. Mrs. Millie is always saying things like "don't cut in lion." She is always misusing words, which will be funny to the children.
Miri Mandel
Jul 22, 2014 Miri Mandel rated it it was amazing
I like silly books and I also like animals and there are tons of animals, like when it stops raining she says "make sure not to step in the poodle" instead of puddle.
It's also a rhyming book and I like rhyming book.
Leonard
Feb 02, 2010 Leonard rated it really liked it
Mrs. Millie is a silly teacher who speaks in a ryhming kind of pig-latin. For example, "Good morning children, please hang up your goats." The children correct her. Humurous drawings add to the text.
Emily Warner
Jun 15, 2010 Emily Warner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very cute story that younger students would really enjoy. In this story, Mrs. Millie says very silly phrases to the kids and they correct her. Students would have fun trying to decide what Mrs. Millie really means when she says things to the children.
Gitty Mandel
Jul 22, 2014 Gitty Mandel rated it it was amazing
I like this book because a funny teacher is always saying stuff, animal words instead of regular words, like poodle instead of puddle and all her classmates are always laughing and trying to correct her.
Sherry
Cute rhyming picture book, clever language.

Most of the language is simple enough for many first graders, and certainly a read-aloud for age 4 and up. More sophisticated humor makes it very enjoyable for 2nd grade independent readers.
Brooke
Aug 30, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I had the kids yell, "Don't be silly Mrs. Millie!" after everything silly she said. It was a lot of fun.
Katie
Oct 09, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: pb, st-k-2, st-elementary
This will make a great read-aloud. Have the children correct Mrs. Millie's silly phrases!

(For adults, this book can be bland and repetitive)
Ashley
Apr 03, 2008 Ashley rated it really liked it
Cute children's book about a teacher who sees the world differently and helps her children to do so as well....
Jessica
Feb 01, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is just a silly book about a grade school teacher. My kids giggle and laugh every time we read it.
Callie Risse
Nov 14, 2011 Callie Risse rated it really liked it
Mrs. Millie says all kinds of silly things! Children will enjoy reading this book as they read phrases such as "Don't cut in the lion" and "Time for art! Let's paint on the weasel!"
Gracie
Feb 05, 2015 Gracie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is silly, but it also teaches children word play. I like the colorful pictures and the positive portrayal of the teacher and her relationship with her students.
Danielle Messer
The teacher tells the students to do things all day, but she uses the wrong words. The students laugh and always correct her. I think younger students will love this book.
Krystal Jones
Feb 24, 2015 Krystal Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
glad this was free....

This story is super lame. Thank goodness it was a free book! My preschooler could have done a better job with dialog between student and teacher.
Jennifer Morgan
Dec 29, 2013 Jennifer Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is one of my kids favorite book. They ask me to read this one to them all the time. They love it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »