Start by marking “Monty Python's Flying Circus: Just the Words: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Monty Python's Flying Circus: Just the Words: Volume 1

Monty Python's Flying Circus: Just the Words: Volume 1

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  2,413 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The complete unexpurgated scripts of the original television series—exceptfor, of course, the animation bits This volume includes the scripts of all23 episodes from the first and second series of the famous Monty Python's Flying Circus shows. Well loved and much quoted pieces such as "The Lumberjack Song," The Architect Sketch," "The Spanish Inquisition," "Archaeology Toda ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Methuen (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Monty Python's Flying Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monty Python's Flying Circus

Mary  Goodnight
Host: With me now is Norman St. John Polevaulter, who for the last few years has been contradicting people. St. John Polevaulter, why do you contradict people?
Polevaulter : I don't!

Host: But you... you told me that you did.

Polevaulter: I most certainly did not!

Host: Oh. I see. I'll start again.

Polevaulter: No you won't!

Host: Ssh! I understand you don't contradict people.

Polevaulter: Yes I do!

Host: And when didn't you start contradicting them?

Polevaulter: I did! In 1952!

Host: 1952.

Polevaulter: 19
I have to be honest I found this quite a difficult book to read, probably because the way (and speed) I generally read isn't particularly suited to scripts. Having said that though I did find that the only bits I tended to laugh out loud on were the ones that I remember watching and not so much any of the others. This could well be because, for me, the most important part of any and all of the sketches are the actors themselves and without being able to picture them in the various roles, the hum ...more
I got these two volumes back in high school, and being before things like YouTube, on demand viewing, and even DVD, it was the only way to "see" the entire series in order. Sure, there were showings on PBS and even MTV if I remember correctly, but when you wanted it on demand you couldn't go wrong with a book containing every script from every episode.
By the time they were all released on DVD, I was already familiar with every sketch.

Brilliant and torturous at the same time. Brilliant because it is Monty Python. Torturous because I was crazy to see these sketches performed, but couldn't at the time. But oh, the jocularity! oh, the ribaldry! oh, the Python and his flying circus!
Aug 07, 2012 Margie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious Python fans who know the show(s)
Shelves: collections, humor, series, u-k
I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy this as much as I was expecting. I am a Python fan, and it's certainly lovely to have all the words to The Dead Parrot, but The Ministry of Silly Walks just isn't as funny without the visuals.
Laura Lee
This is really a vote for Monty Python. I own this book, and dip into it from time to time to recall bits of dialogue, but it's not something you read cover to cover.
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam...lovely Spam, wonderful Spam! "Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay..." "It's..." "He's Pinin' for the Fjords??!!" "Now then, some cheese please, my good man!" "And now, for something completely different..." If any of these snippets of dialog bring a smile to your face, you probably number yourself among the millions of Monty Python fans in the world. If so, this two-volume set, The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, is right up your alley. This is a coll ...more
Walk this way!
Es ist ja durchaus nett, die ganzen Sketche in Textform vor sich zu haben, zum Nachschlagen oder Schmökern. Aber - witzig ist das nicht wirklich. Man lacht hin und wieder, weil man sich an die Szene der Serie erinnert, nicht aufgrund des Texts an sich. Wirklich komisch ist ja der starre Gesichtsausdruck von John Cleese mit der Melone auf dem Kopf im Stechschritt, Eric Idles wildes Grinsen und Herumkaspern im legendären "Nudge nudge wink wink", Michael Palins Kopftuch-Hitler, Graham
The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 1by Graham Chapman (Pantheon Books 1989)(791.45+/-) is a transcription of the first half of the comedy troupe's collected television shows. It's a LOT funnier on video than on the printed page. My rating: 7/10, finished 12/13/14. ...more
If I could give this book 10 stars, I would! Absolute genius on every page.
Keith Davis
Some time around 1980 I was watching PBS late at night and came across a rerun of Monty Python's Flying Circus. It was the Mr. Neutron episode from season 4, which is kind of an atypical example of Python as it has one storyline running through the whole episode, but it was the most insane thing I had ever seen on television. Soon after I saw Holy Grail and assumed that Graham Chapman was Monty Python because he played the main character in the movie and in the one episode of the TV show I had s ...more
Mark Woodland
It is exactly what the title says: It and its companion volume contain every word to every sketch from the original Python BBC series. Not much to say except that it's a must-have for any Python fanatic. Amongst our crowd, we get a lot of fun out of it at parties by reading/performing the scenes in our own inimitable manner. Even if you've never seen the series, it'd be a side-splitting read.
Megan Barnes
This is best for people who have already seen the shows, so you can visualize the comedic geniuses of Cleese, Idle, Jones et al. in your head. Reading them this way also helped me to see how they improved over the course of the first few shows. A good companion when I was in the hospital for a week.
Richard Thomas
Anyone who loves humour from slapstick through parody to satire should own both volumes.
I loved this book, even though Monty Python were a bit before my time, and this makes an excellent companion to the tv series. I laugh every time at the line from the election special "Arthur Negus has held bristols" even though I have no idea who Arthur Negus is.
David Saslav
Sep 03, 2007 David Saslav rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor
Shelves: britishhumor
Page for page, the two books which produce the most laughter from my vocal cords in the English language. Regardless of whether you've watched the TV shows from which they have been drawn. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, read on!
Stunning. Complete scripts of every single episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus...the edition I read also had an early draft of the Holy Grail script. Essential reading for a Python devotee.
I am marking this as currently reading, as this is not a book I would read cover to cover, but one to dip into at random.
I love this. Love the shows. Love reading and torturing my friends with the memorized lines of ALL the shows. Sorry buddies.
Stuart Schnapp
I came here for an argument!

No, you didn't.

Just some of the funniest writing in the history of television
Great book for Monthy Python's Flying Circus. Those sketches look better performed than on the paper.
Volume one of all the Python TV scripts. A must for rabid Python fans like myself.
This would be definitely the book I d pick if I were asked to travel to a desert island!
nice to see Python humor in black & white for clarity.
Ah, Python. You either get it or you don't.
Rob Hermanowski
This is the best comedy ever!
Brilliant, essential.
  • The Goon Show Scripts
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • The Onion Ad Nauseam: Complete News Archives, Volume 13
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979 (Palin Diaries, #1)
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus: Complete and Annotated - All the Bits
  • Deep Thoughts
  • Classics of Western Literature: Bloom County, 1986-1989
  • Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese
  • Cruel Shoes
Graham Chapman was an English comedian, actor, writer, physician and one of the six members of the Monty Python comedy troupe. He was also the lead actor in their two narrative films, playing King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the title character in Monty Python's Life of Brian.
More about Graham Chapman...