Start by marking “The World at Arms” as Want to Read:
The World at Arms

The World at Arms

Why it started, which elements shaped it, how it ended. Clearly and comprehensively written, with a wealth of detail, it relives the hopes, fears, dangers, and triumphs of those perilous days. Over 800 photographs, illustrations and charts and over 50 maps in color.
Published August 1st 1989 by Readers Digest (first published May 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The World at Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World at Arms

Zack
Feb 22, 2014 Zack rated it it was amazing
One of the books that first got me interested in the war at a very young age. It's an excellent primer for those new to the subject. Having reread portions of it recently, I can say it stands the test of time.
Bevan
Mar 14, 2013 Bevan rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't get a lot of press, but it is actually the best one-volume record of World War 2 that I've read. Its well illustrated, very readable and has plenty of interesting sidebars and details. An excellent reference and starting point.
Evan Beckius
Apr 29, 2015 Evan Beckius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very interesting. I enjoyed the pictures of all of the battles. I also liked the amount of detail the authors put into the book. The authors give lots of statistics and give tons of information about many aspects of the war. I learned a lot about World War II from reading this book. I also liked that the book gave pictures showing how the front lines changed in battles over time. But, I wish it had more pictures for being a illustrated book. Overall, I really enjoyed the ...more
Eslea
Nov 11, 2013 Eslea added it
A great book for those who want a book of facts about World War II in their library.
I have enjoyed this new book The Wish; a few times read now. Exciting life like flight scenes made you feel like you were there hanging on for dear life. It really took me back to someone's personal feelings, helping me better understand how it was for those who lived during World War II, and better my own feelings about surviving and living this moment in time more grateful.
Stephen Van
Aug 12, 2012 Stephen Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed reading this book because it has concise and chronological details about the events of World War 2. It has pictures of different tanks and soldier dress, as well as commander biographies.
Shahid Saleem
Sep 03, 2015 Shahid Saleem rated it it was amazing
I read this book 11 years back during my college days in Pakistan. Found much simplicity in language and comprehension. Amazing feature of this volume was good match of text with battles' pictures (which are even harder to find).
Juan
Nov 09, 2011 Juan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tengo que aceptar que este es un muy buen y serio libro de Reader's Digest. Narra con excelente detalle la historia de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, desglanandola en ocasiones en campañas, batallas, aspectos técnicos, etc. Además contiene infinidad de fotografías. Muy recomendable.
Harrison Kessel
Aug 24, 2013 Harrison Kessel rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and descriptive book blended perfectly to create a great novel on such an interesting subject.
Djfchuck
Jan 04, 2015 Djfchuck rated it really liked it
Good WWII History Book, massive topic, handled well, with good pictures, explanations and interesting pieces of side history stories intertwined with the main subject.
Nick Edkins
Nick Edkins rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Rikard
Rikard rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Laura rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Carlos
Carlos rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2010
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Hephaistion
Hephaistion rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Mike Pokas
Mike Pokas rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2011
Treerut Thurata
Treerut Thurata rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Gian Ciacci
Gian Ciacci rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2015
Spike
Spike rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Zach Sechler
Zach Sechler rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Sam Gunn
Sam Gunn rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2009
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Zia
Zia rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Boyke Rahardian
Boyke Rahardian rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Dallas
Dallas rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Mcanand
Mcanand rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...