Start by marking “Aaaarrgghh! Spider!” as Want to Read:
Aaaarrgghh! Spider!

Aaaarrgghh! Spider!

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Don’t let this lonely spider frighten you! She just wants to be a family pet—and she thinks she would make a better pet than the typical dog or cat. But every time this clever spider tries to impress her chosen family, she scares them instead, until the day she unwittingly enchants them. Aaaarrgghh! Spider! spins a lively tale about one creature’s efforts to find her place ...more
Published August 30th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Aaaarrgghh! Spider!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aaaarrgghh! Spider!

Linda McCarry
This is my 8th Book Review: “Aaaarrgghh! Spider!”
By: Lydia Monks

“Aaaarrgghh! Spider!” is a fantastic book for children in reception and key stage 1, it is about a spider who wants to live with a family. He tries to befriend the family, by coming down from the roof or coming behind them when they are sitting on the couch, but he ends up just scaring them and they throw him out into the garden. He tries all different ways to get each family member to notice him and see what a clever 'pet' he woul
Angie
This is an older favorite that had disappeared off the library shelves. I was so glad to find a copy in the bargain bin this summer.

A big fat hairy spider decides she wants to be a family pet ... and does everything she can to make it happen.

When I read it in a storytime we practice the SILENT SPIDER SCREAM. My ears are too sensitive for real screaming :]. We just all make a face like we are horrified. Especially at the last page.

Later edit ... just so that I remember ...
Oluwatobi Majekodunmi
This easy read is based on the experiences spiders might face in a household. The spider in this book faces a lot of rejection. This spider wants to desperately wants to be an household. It's repetitive language is very useful for early readers, EYFS and EAL. The illustrations in this book is very clear and distinct, which can aid readers with little or no experience in understanding the book better. The illustrator uses a wide range of bright colours, this makes it easier to generate conversati ...more
Lizzy H
Aaaarrgghh, Spider! Is the story of a household spider trying to find her place and be accepted into her chosen family. The spider's efforts are somewhat in vain as each attempt to impress them leaves them horrified and squealing "aaaarrgghh, spider! Out you go!". The spider finally does win their respect through dazzling them with its wonderful webs.

Lydia Monks' illustrations are vibrant and bold, perfect for capturing the heats and attention of ks1 pupils. The glittery spider webs probably go
Nabila Anwar
Ide besarnya cukup asik.

Seekor laba-laba yang ingin menjadi hewan peliharaan dan bagian dari keluarga.
Sayangnya, keluarga tempat si laba-laba membangun sarang sudah punya hewan peliharaan. Anjing, kucing dan hamster. Lagi pula mereka tidak suka ada laba-laba di rumah. Tapi meski berkali-kali diusir, laba-laba berusaha mencari cara agar keluarga itu menerimanya.
Ilustrasi di halaman pertamanya ditampilkan dari sudut pandang si laba-laba yang sedang menempel di langit-langit. Serba terbalik. Warna-
Zelal
This book is about a spider that wants to be the family pet, but everyone is scared of spiders. Eventually the spider is accepted into the household. Spider introduces the family to all its friends...who could they be?
The illustrations are wonderful and the book uses repeated phrases, such as 'look at me' and 'out you go', so this is ideal for young children, since they can repeat the words as you read the book.
I found this book particularly useful as I was able to create literacy and numeracy
Nikki
This is the story of a friendly spider whose only dream is to become the household pet. The story follows her attempts to impress the family despite their shouts of "aaaarrgghh spider" every time they spot her.

The repetition in the story is great for younger children and adds a sense of fun to the reading aloud of it. I used this story as an introduction to an art lesson where year one pupils were working on moving objects. The class made their very own spider using a template and split pins for
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian  http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This was a very cute story of a spider who just wants to be a part of a family. The spider is quite sure it does everything better than the other pets (cat/dog) - including dancing, cleaning itself, and even feeding itself! But the family just keeps putting the spider outside.

I liked how cute and fun the book was and my daughter liked the nicely paced text and cute narrative. Of course, no book is complete unless it has a
Kirsty Rice
“Aaaarrgghh! Spider!” is a delightful book about a spider who wants to live with a family. But as he tries to befriend the family they get scared and throw him out of the house. Towards the end of the book they see how clever the spider is when they see all his beautiful webs and adopt him as a part of their family.
We have used this book in nursery and can also be used through the other foundation and KS1 classes as an in to other lessons. It is wonderful for PSED as it talks about how everyone
Ruhama
A little spider wants to be a family pet, not the scary idea she’s been so far. She tries trick after trick to get the family to like her, but every time someone screams, “Aaaarrgghh! SPIDER!” and makes her go outside. Eventually, the spider gives up and goes outside. While depressed, she makes a bunch of sparkly webs, which catches the daughter’s attention, who decides maybe the spider isn’t such a bad pet after all. This is a fabulous story: the spider’s point of view is neat (the first page l ...more
Rachel
“Aaaarrgghh! Spider!” is a delightful book embedded with colourful illustrations and glittery spider webs. It is a tale about a spider who wants to live with a family. But as he tries to befriend the family they get scared and throw him out of the house. Towards the end, they see how clever the spider is but what made them change their mind?
This story was taught in my Reception class and was an excellent cross curricular resource. It is particularly useful for PSED as it talks about how everyon
Nicolette
POOR little spider. All she wants is belong to a family and become their pet, but they are all scared of spiders.
First she shows them what a great dancer she is. Then she shows them how she can clean herself, unlike their pet dog. Then she shows them that she can also feed herself, unlike the dog and cat. But each time the family throws the little spider back outside – where she belongs.
Now the spider feels all alone and unloved. In the garden she spins her sparkly webs and the family is surpris
Kristy
This is a fun story about a spider wanting to be a family's pet. The kids really loved the shiny spider webs she makes, and they all wanted to touch them!

Good for storytime
Brooke
I like this story. It was hard to tell how it went at story time because there was only one non-responsive child present. But it's silly & I love the ending.
Nicole
Well done - you really empathize with the spider and the kids will love the short repetition throughout and the funny ending.
Lindsay Pearce
Such a cute story!

This book would have ended very differently if it had been my family.
Megan
got the kids to say 'aaaarrgghh spider' and also used a small black spider as a prop.
Rachel
Wonderful tweak! Will make you view spiders in a more favorable way :D
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
Seriously? A spider for a pet? Let's not encourage such things.
Claire
Great to read aloud with preschoolers
Dana
From the opening spread, which seems to be upside-down until you realize it's written from the point of view of a spider, you can tell this is going to be a fun book. The spider in question just desperately wants to be a family pet, and tries everything to belong, but keeps frightening the family and getting tossed out the door. Finally, the spider just does what spiders do best and ends up being accepted for who she is. All ends happily for the spider. As for the family...well, just wait for th ...more
Margaret Behr
I loved using this in storytime. I had kids yell with me, "Aaaarrgghh! Spider!"
Francesca Tomassi
This is an engaging book, with great vibrant illustrations.

It is about a spider who wants to befriend a family. He hatches different plans to get their attention, so they can notice him and become his friends. However they are terrified of spiders! It makes for a fun read, and would be great read aloud in a reception class. It could also be a useful aid for an art lesson because of its fun illustrations.
Paul
This is a delightful read, and the glitter is used in a breathtakingly way, so much so that our class of 4 and 5 year olds were inspired to make their own glittery webs. The refrain of 'Aaargh spider. Out you go!' has captivated all the children I've read it with, and it is a particular favourite at home. Lots of lovely details, from drain pipes to guinea pigs, a sweet message, and a funny ending. Perfect.
Alyson
Pretty funny, pointing out that spiders can do many things that more lovable pets can do, and even better; it's not fair that people are creeped out by them! A fun story with the desired family owners' screaming every other page (save your voice). My four-year-old also liked the glittered page of beautiful spider webs which the family finally can appreciate.
Kelly Coyle DiNorcia
This is Bess' current favorite book. She is always very concerned about the bugs who find their way into our house, and now she ushers them all "back to their families" with an "out you go"! She loves the spiderweb page and has been spending a lot of time recently trying to find dew be-sparkled webs in the morning. Very, very cute book.
Heather
This book was really cute and fun to read with our 5-year-old daughter. She is having trouble with spiders lately and this book was a cute way to show her that we don't have to be scared of them. Follows a spider that wants to be "part of the family" with a house of humans and all the ways that the spider acts to show them it should be their pet.
Thomas
A spider wants to become a family pet. But however she tries to persuade them, they react with irrational fear. Eventually they see how beautiful her garden spiderwebs are and let her be their pet after all. This would be a good read for discussing a child's fear of spiders, and perhaps lead to discussions about irrational fears in general.
AnnaBnana
This book is totally fun! I've seen it read in a storytime for preschoolers, one for kindergarteners, and one for second graders and it is universally appealing! There is opportunity for the kids to get involved. For the older kids you can ask them to do some predicting, plus they can help you yell "Aaaaargghh! Spider!" Super fun.
Rachel
This is a great story about a spider who just wants a family to care for her. She tries to convince the family that she would make a great pet, but they keep shooing her outside. Finally they come to realize what a great pet she is, & the best part is at the end when the spider invites all her friends over.
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Milo's Hat Trick
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • The Terrible Plop
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Clip-Clop
  • Ugly Fish
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • Moo!
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Always In Trouble
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Big Red Lollipop
The Cat Barked Babbit Eeeek, Mouse! Ooo Ooo Ooo Gorilla! No More Eee-orrh!