The Shadow Thief (The Strangest Adventures, #1)

The Shadow Thief (The Strangest Adventures #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Millipop Klompet and Ernest Perriclof live in the uneventful town of Drabville, where the cautious Ernest spends his time enlarging his rock collection and Milli dreams of adventure. When the pair are kidnapped from their homes and brought to live in the gothic mansion known as Hog House, they are adopted by the madcap Mr and Mrs Mayor and a series of bizarre encounters fo...more
Published July 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Thief

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Books I Have Ranted About
123rd out of 138 books — 101 voters
The Outsiders by S.E. HintonAEGIS RISING - Action-Adventure/Sci-Fi - Book One of The Aegi... by S.S. SegranAnne Frank by Anne FrankEragon by Christopher PaoliniGirl Talk by Nicole O'Dell
YA Books By Teen Authors
39th out of 59 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
2 stars: DNF - p.189.
I tried. I really really tried.

First off I'll explain why I wanted to read this book in the first place: the author. Alexandra Adornetto is sort of like a role model for me. I aspire to be like her and get MY book published at a young age. She was born in the same country as me and I like to think that I have a chance at publication, despite my age (14). She did grow up in a family of English teachers though. That's probably where she got her vocabulary from.

Adornetto has a...more
Elise P
It's written by a 15yr old, not very original. Not very compelling, not necessary for me to even want to read the sequels. Formula, I could probably do the same if I purchased a writing for dummies book or whatever.
Kayla
The language in this book makes it hard to believe that it was written by a thirteen year old girl from Melbourne. It's is so sophisticated and refined, better-written than many books by actual adults!

On the other hand, the story is so exciting and thrilling that it could only have been thought up by a child. This girl had an incredible imagination, which is clear from the start when she introduces the characters names: Millipop Klompet and Ernest Perriclof. I envy her mind.

No matter how old I...more
Claire Ortlepp
The Shadow Thief is one of the few children’s books that effectively combines creativity and sophistication. The story takes place in the town of Drabville, the home of 11-year-old Millipop Klompet. Milli is vibrant and impulsive, and struggles to fit in with the monotonous lifestyle that most of Drabville’s population adopts. Together with her best friend, Ernest Perriclof, she desperately searches for any kind of adventure. However before long, adventure finds her, in the form of a bright red...more
Travis Berketa
Firstly, I admire the fact that Alexandra Adornetto was at such a young age when she first had this book published. She shows a vast vocabulary, which assisted in painting an image of the scenes found in the book and bringing to life the characters.

However, I was not taken in by the storyline. I felt that, even though the plot was interesting, the story unfolded in a way that I could either see what was coming or didn't really care about what was going to happen. As a primary school teacher I ha...more
Qing
The writing bothers me; it tries to be quirky and insightful, but it misses the mark.

While conceptually sounded interesting, the story line is weak and the logic of the book's setting is rather lame.

Maybe this is really pedantic, but if you're going to create a whole new realm of made up stuff... don't put in our stuff in it - seriously, Nancy Drew?! Why?! It wasn't even that good of an insult / taunt to begin with.

Ugh. Anyways, I still want to finish the book - just maybe not when I'm not so an...more
Alex
Looking for a creative, eccentric, funny and entertaining read with characters that you will fall in love with imediately? What bookworm isn't? Anyway, if you are then I strongly suggest this one. The skill this author has is incredible, she not only weaves a mysterious and fun tale but she also really gets you inside the character's heads. Their joy is your joy, their pain is your pain. The incredibly intelligent language used is also a welcome change from most older children's novels.
Judy
Jun 30, 2014 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: confident 8 year olds upwards, book geeks:-)
This book goes on my Awesome shelf not because of literary merit alone, but because it was written by a 13 year old. That seems to me to be just a wee bit of high achievement! ...I still can't quite see the link between this and Peter Pan (the blurb says it was inspired by Peter Pan), but I can see very many links with Alice in Wonderland. However that doesn't matter.

I confess I am unable to give a reasonable assessment of the book, due to my preoccupation with the extreme youth of the author.....more
Krystal
Although this is a childs book, I liked it and I found it even more enchanting because it was written by a girl younger then myself, only 15 I think. Very well written, buy this one for any age who enjoys a bit of a mystery. Reminded me somewhat of A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Alexandria
A recipe novel filled with already overrated writing techniques and repetition. There is a lack of character development apart from Ernest and there are plot holes. Similar writing style and word cliches from other authors like Lemony Snicket.
ARUM maniez!
Sep 20, 2007 ARUM maniez! rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
well... it's good, just a bit confused with the idiom of australian english...
Anna
Not the best i've ever read.
Charlotte
Feb 05, 2014 Charlotte marked it as to-read
I just read the first chapter of this book. Wow.
The unfettered imagination is clear from the first sentence and Adornetto's vocabulary is INSANE. Did this same girl write Halo??? I don't think this same girl wrote Halo. I think the real Alexandra Adornetto was kidnapped by aliens and replaced with a pod person who writes shit.

Adornetto's potential, wasted for the sake of (two!) money-grabbing Twilight lampoons, almost makes me cry.

I'm going to read the rest of this book, and I'm going to cry h...more
Nickolas
I agree with Marta in the comments of this book, but I think I would have really liked this book when I was young and we can be as critical as we want about how this book rips off a million other stories, which it does, but the fact is this is a CHILDRENS book and if I were mean enough to actually have children I would probably enjoy reading this to them.

Her over use of giant words I don’t myself know bothered me some. It was kind of try hard in that sense, but I give it three stars (I liked it...more
Sarah Pro
BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Be sure that you are aware that this is a children's book and NOT a YA or teenage-appropriate book.

I was so excited to read this book because I absolutely LOVED Halo, and Bethany and Xavier's story. I really enjoyed that series, and felt that it was well-written and intriguing, giving me high hopes for A.A.

However, I am extremely (seriously, monumentally) disappointed. If I had purchased the book in hard-copy format, I would most definitely be returning it to my local Chapter...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
Why did I pick up & read this book? It was not because of the cover design, though that is intriguing enough. It was not even the title which is very intriguing indeed in this age of bank robbers and gold heists. It was the name of the two protagonists that clinched the deal. With a heroine called Millipop Klompet and a hero called Ernest Perriclof, it was simply impossible to pass over the book.

Millipop and Ernest live in Drabville, which more than manages to live up to its name. There is n...more
J
reminded me of the 'unfortunate events' books by lemony snickett; similar bleak, if truthful, world view imparted by narrator and extravagant prose, with young main characters battling against the odds, in sort of an odd, Wonderland-ish world. A bit over the top at times but a beautiful showcase of language, that unfortunately would hinder most younger (? target audience) readers.
Kathy Horsman
Well…this book was…interesting. I don’t want to put anyone off to it, but maybe it just wasn’t my cup of tea. I think it had something to do with the way the characters and setting were talked about and the adventures they experienced. It was all very young for me.

I’m talking things like:

Drabville
The Great Guzzle
The Shadow Keepers

It all had the feeling of The Phantom Tollbooth or Alice in Wonderland that I just couldn’t get into. I think it was all fun and games but I guess I was looking for MOR...more
Emily
I wanted to like this book. I really did. Sadly, I did not love it as much as I wanted to. It had an alright plot, interesting characters, and quality writing, and at first when I sat down to read it I was impressed with Alexandra's writing, considering her age. As I continued reading though, I got bored and kind of forced myself to finish it, because I was vaguely interested to discover what would happen in the end, although I had a suspicion I knew what that would be.
I liked this book, yes, a...more
Robyn
I enjoyed this easy read.
★ Jess
Just missed out on the 3 stars.
Exceptional start, though sadly slowed in pace.
Good plot, though i thought it seemed a bit here and there, been there done that.
I am now over kids saving the day. And it could have ben better written too.
But Alexandra Adornetto will be a great author in the future. Published when she was just 13, that is remarkable. The book has room for improvement, as does the author.
One to watch.
Nardia
The first thing that encouraged me to pick up the book was hearing the author speak. I admire the dedication and patience Alexandra Adornetto has to write a book while she's still in school. Although this is written very well, it didn't actually appeal to me, because it's more of a children's book than YA. Enid Blyton lovers will love her style, which is very similar, although it retains an atmosphere of its own.
Rach
The cover caught my eye at the library and after reading the little blurb, thought I would give it a go. I'm not entirely sure why but I gave up about the halfway mark. It had a few too many holes in it for my liking. I can sometimes forgive that of a story but perhaps I was just not invested enough in this or the characters for me to continue.
Melina
Oh my goodness - this book was written when the author was 13! The writing is simply lovely, the language used is amazing, and the story introduces us to interesting and unusual characters. There's a certain amount of reference to Peter Pan, but not so much that you think about it all the time. A really good read - good for school
Mia
this was the most wonderful book I have EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR read!!!!!!!!! It was so gripping, from the first three chapters I couldn't put the book down!!!! It was glued to me!!! I recommend this book to everyone out there who hasn't read and to all the people out there who have read it to read it AGAINNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

-Mia
Catherine
I am currently reading a book called Shadow Thief. You have probably not heard of it before because I got it in Australia. But it is very good and is about two kids who are adopted and in counter maxing bizarre events. Even though I am not very far in this book I can tell its going to be full of adventure and mystery!
Georgia Smith
I found this remarkably sweet and inspirational. The story flows along smoothly and the characters are vibrant and engaging. I wish more people had read this book; it's a wonderful testament to the seat-of-your-pants, alternative children's book. The language is lovely, and I did laugh quite a few times. Very cute.
Paige
From what i remember this was a great book. Mysteries and 'old school' adventures are sought for in this plot and I enjoyed reading it (from my knowledge) it is the first in a children's book series and I would like to continue reading the sequels.
Liah
While at first Adornetto seems to be overcompensating for her young age with technical and uncommon words (which younger readers may strggle with), the language soon becomes part of the rich writing style that makes the book so magical.
Meaghan
Loved the opening few pages however they set the expectations too high and unfortunately the book didn't live up to the same enjoyment as the beginning. Still a cute story with relatable characters and a fun adventure.
  • The Battle for Rondo (Rondo, #3)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2
  • White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)
  • Eager Star (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #2)
  • Amy's Journal (Heartland Special Edition)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • On the Track (Thoroughbred, #34)
Alexandra Adornetto is the pen name of Alexandra Grace, born on April 18 1993 in Melbourne, Australia. She penned her first series, The Strangest Adventures at thirteen, after being inspired by Lewis Carroll, J.M Barrie and Enid Blyton.

She is now a New York Times bestselling author with seven books behind her. After the release of the Halo series, she left Australia to relocate to Oxford, Mississ...more
More about Alexandra Adornetto...
Halo (Halo, #1) Hades (Halo, #2) Heaven (Halo, #3) The Lampo Circus (The Strangest Adventures, #2) Von Gobstopper's Arcade (The Strangest Adventures, #3)