Start by marking “What She Left for Me” as Want to Read:
What She Left for Me

What She Left for Me

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  739 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
When Jana returns from a missions trip, she discovers that her pastor husband has left with his secretary???along with their bank account. Humiliated, penniless, pregnant, and very much alone, Jana reluctantly turns to her mother, Eleanor, in desperation. Eleanor is haunted by her own guilt and pain, and the arrival of her daughter only serves as a daily reminder of the me ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 447 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about What She Left for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What She Left for Me

Stacy
Mar 11, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for something different, so I spent quite a bit of time going through my cloud at Amazon, looking through the hundreds (or maybe in the thousands now) of free books I have downloaded. I have read several of Tracie Peterson's historical books and always enjoyed them. This one read differently, and I took a chance, not knowing if I would enjoy it. The subject matter was difficult, it covers molestation and rape and infidelity, among other topics. But they were handled carefully a ...more
Michelle Robinson
THis book had a very interesting and novel plot. Jana's mother's is what compelled me to continue reading this book.

However, for me, there became a point at which I found that too many things had happened to one charachter to be believable. I also really had trouble with some of the reactions or lack there of, of the aunt.

At the end of the book, I got so tired of the preachy feel of the novel that I did not feel it was really worth finishing. There has to be a way to make a point in a novel with
Cindy
Jul 10, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
I am giving this book two stars--it was ok. I can't say that I liked it.
(view spoiler)
Jolene
Apr 08, 2015 Jolene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I commend Tracie for tackling subjects that could easily be avoided, especially within the Christian fiction genre. She has a note in the beginning of her book, however, that she wouldn't recommend it for everyone as there could be triggers- and I have to agree. This is a book that addresses deep-seated issues and disturbing traumatic events that could possibly not sit well with some.

Tracie's captivating writing style and well-developed characters drew me in to the point where I felt like I kne
Andrea Norton
Jana is the wife of a pastor. She discovers she is pregnant with a very much planned child while on a mission trip to Africa. Upon returning home she finds a note from her husband explaining that he has left her for another woman. He has drain their bank accounts, sold anything of value, and stolen and sold jewelry given to her by her great aunt.

This book deals with some very difficult issues. Some reviewers found the circumstances hard to believe but I didn't. My husband studied sexual crimes
Cyndi Bowman
Mar 02, 2015 Cyndi Bowman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jana returns from a church missions trip to find her world turned completely inside out. Everything she thought was secure in her life has been ripped away by her pastor-husband who had used Jana's absence to take off with the church secretary and all the couple's money. Jana has no choice but to turn to her own mother for help, a choice she would never have made if circumstances had not forced her. But now that Jana and her mother find themselves living in the same house, all the hurt and rejec ...more
Miranda
Dealing with some pretty deep issues, Peterson was able to lighten the weight of the pall by creating an interesting cast of characters. The warning given at the start was much appreciated, and though part of a sin filled world, the issues dealt with are definitely some I wish to protect my daughter from as long as possible. Having read several books by this author, Peterson definitely has a specific writers voice, and though not my favorite author by way of her delivery, I never fail to enjoy h ...more
Cindy Barnett
Jun 11, 2015 Cindy Barnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What She Left For Me

This is a great story of family trials and how love and forgiveness helps to heal. A mother and daughter, Eleanor and Jana, struggle through issues of sexual abuse, rape, and infidelity. They learn the value of love and forgiveness from a great aunt, Tilly, who shows unconditional love and faith.
Having experienced similar experiences, I felt a connection to these characters. I saw some of the things that I had to deal with.

I give this two thumbs up and five stars.
Shirley Henning
Was not for me.

I have loved all her books except this one. It was so intense, so full of anger, misunderstanding, abuse, sadness, you name it. if it wasn't for Taffy's character I would have not finished the book. I do appreciate the strong Christian witness in the book but going thru all the characters' issues and experiences was depressing and anything but enjoyable reading. I've said this before that it may be real life to some people but I can watch this kind of stuff on the daily news.
Pam Lemmon
Nov 15, 2014 Pam Lemmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read.....

Having grown up in the 60's during the hippie movement this book brought back memories of that time. Although I never joined the hippie communes I had a good idea of how they lived and their ideas of what true freedom meant. I can see how their lifestyle would affect their children in such a negative way. This author has the ability to express the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ and how accepting that love that is so freely offered can truely set you free.
Deb
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]jana returns from a mission trip to africa to find the shock of her life. puzzled that her pastor-husband isn't there to meet her, she takes a taxi home and finds an empty house--and a note. her husband has run off with the church secretary and left her alone--and pregnant (he didn't know about the baby, she just found out and was planning to tell him when she returned from her trip). he also cleared out the ...more
Joan Arning
Sep 13, 2014 Joan Arning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an unusual and interesting story dealing with adultery, murder, and incest. If you want a feel good romance, this book is not for you. It is the story of a young pregnant woman, her mother and great aunt. They have each faced tragedies in their lives. Jana discovers that she had made her husband her god rather than Almighty God. The ladies learn it is possible to forgive even horrible things committed against us if we want a real relationship with God.
Kelsy
May 23, 2014 Kelsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about healing from some of life's ultimate betrayals. Although the plot is highly influenced by some very sensitive subjects, Tracie Peterson approaches infidelity and sexual abuse with respect and truth while not making the novel about those betrayals. Rather, it is a story full of hope and strength.
Beth
Jana McGuire's life is shattered after returning home from a mission trip to Africa, discovering that she is pregnant and abandoned by her husband. Forced to live with her estranged mother and the eccentric 80 year old Aunt she never knew, old wounds from her mother's unspoken past have left Jana with many unanswered questions and a search for the truth.

A story of hope and faith!
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I found myself pleasantly surprised by this book. I used to absolutely love all of Peterson's book but after taking a long break from reading her books I picked up one a few months ago and found the entire book entirely distasteful.

Judging from that experience I did not know what to expect when I started reading this book. I enjoyed the book. I found it on one of the shelves at my grandmother's house and she gave it to me. Originally I had decided to sell it as soon a
Lillie
There is a lot of drama and tension in the lives of the three women in this family that it could have become melodramatic. Instead it is emotional and intense and eventually uplifting. The Christian message is an integral part of the story, but is natural and not heavy-handed.
Jessica Reno
Sep 19, 2014 Jessica Reno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching

THIS story was ABSOLUTELY amazing! I feel like I KNOW these ladies. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with the past. I was adopted as a baby and identified so much with parts of this story.
CarolynB
Jul 16, 2015 CarolynB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book is very different from any of the other books I've read by Tracie Peterson. It's the story of three women and how each has dealt with pain and disappointment in their lives, and how each came to know the God of forgiveness.
Becki
Pretty good book. It took a bit to get into. And the parts referenced in the 'warning letter' in the front don't really happen until the end of the book. So you kind of spend the first part of the book anticipating it.
Melissa
Christian woman's pastor husband leaves her for his secretary. She discovers she's pregnant and has to move in with her estranged mom and great aunt. Story really good but dialogue and writing a little stilted.
Shannon Dyer
Jan 05, 2015 Shannon Dyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed this book more than I thought of would. While I got confused a few times going from past to present I finally figured it out and enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the wise words of Taffy...and God... when it came to forgiveness.
carol jones
Sep 24, 2014 carol jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Very hard subject to write about and yet this book was written with honesty and truth and had me hooked from the first chapter.
Susan
Aug 05, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book in 2 days. I found myself staying up late just to finish. I love the character Taffy and hope to be like her in my golden years. The trials that the women in this book go through are so like the trials of too many women. It is refreshing to me always to read a Christian view on tragedy. I think we all have asked "why do bad things happen to good people"? Once again an author has touched on God's purpose for us when tragedy strikes. This is a quick read, but by all me ...more
Jill
Mar 28, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jana, Eleanor, Aunt Taffy, three women from the same family with much emotional baggage. They need to come to the understand of forgiveness, love and hope.
KIMBERLYN Hastey
Fabulous

This book just sucked me in. I wanted to hear these characters stories and laughed and cried along with them! Very much enjoyed!
Carvetta
Oct 22, 2014 Carvetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christian wisdom in the area of forgiveness and redemption. A powerful lesson on why forgiveness is necessary.
Bonnie
Apr 20, 2009 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The message of this book is better than the writing itself, though the story was somewhat engaging. The narration jumps back and forth between past and present, telling the story of a grown woman in her twenties, her mother and her great-aunt, and how their lives have effected each other. Each has had her own trials and traumas, some of them secret, and how they deal with these crises has implications for the other. Issues of infidelity and abuse are involved; again, the message of how to handle ...more
Susan Moxley
Jun 29, 2015 Susan Moxley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book about overcoming past hurts with the help of the Lord.
Liz
Dec 08, 2014 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
everybody had problems,too many hard to grasp sometimes
Ruth
Oct 23, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a fiction book about a pregnant pastor's wife whose husband leaves her to run off with his secretary. Since she has no place to go, she goes to live with her great aunt and mother, and as a result, ends up resolving lots of issues surrounding all three women and their relationships.

Tracie is one of my favorite authors, but this book was a bit different from her normal style, which tends to be historical fiction. The plot is a little far-fetched, with lots of twists and turns. But, I love
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • The Perfect Life
  • Nadia's Hope
  • A Time to Embrace (Timeless Love, #2)
  • The Rebel's Pledge
  • The Maiden of Mayfair (Tales of London #1)
  • A Girl Worth Waiting For (Worthy #1)
  • For Better or For Worse
  • Wings of a Dream
  • Healing Ruby (Healing Ruby #1)
  • Watching the Tree Limbs (Maranatha, #1)
  • Seasons of the Heart/Four Complete Novels in One Book
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Broken World (Broken Beauty Novellas #2)
  • The Debt
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

“God is bigger than our pain and sorrows. He’s bigger than our guilt. He is able to take anything we give Him and turn it around for good.” 2 likes
“abruptly. “That’s the way it always is. People hurt you and walk all over you. They lie to you and betray you, and then with those two little words, they expect it should all somehow be wiped from the slate. As if I’m sorry had some sort of magical powers to take away the pain.”...I know your faith says you’re supposed to forgive people when they ask for it, but I think that’s malarkey. Why give absolution to someone when they’re only seeking forgiveness to ease their own conscience ? They don’t care that what they’ve done has permanently scarred you. They don’t care that they’ve robbed you of all security.”...When pressed for a reason for their actions or when facing the consequences, people are suddenly ever so sorry and apologetic .” She looked at Jana, but Jana was sure she didn’t see her. Her mother was a million miles away. “Consequences don’t just go away. They aren’t suddenly dissolved just because forgiveness has been desired or given.” 2 likes