Start by marking “La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1

La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1 (La Corda d'Oro #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  4,955 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Every few years, the prestigious Seisho Academy holds a prominent musical competition, and only the very best students at the Academy are allowed to participate. Though all are eligible to apply, only students from the music department actually make it to the competition...until now.

Kahoko is a normal student in the general education department with absolutely no musical
Published October 3rd 2006 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko Takeuchi
Favorite Shoujo Manga
23rd out of 591 books — 1,312 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
50th out of 939 books — 2,751 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki  King
this manga was so cute! there's this fairy/elf thing named Lili that gives this general education girl, Kahoko Hino, a violin. Not just ANY violin, but a magical violin that anyone could play. The quality of the sound is based off of the players emotions. So Kahoko is forced by Lili to play in a musical concourse. The rest of the participants are 5 kids from the music department of her school (the departments generally don't interact and the music department is a bit stuck up). Her admittance is ...more
Sara Bennett
This looked like an interesting manga so I picked it up. Turned out to be a really sweet one!

Kahoko is a normal student who happens to see a fairy one day. At first she doubts she really saw it, but then the next day she has been chosen as a contestant in a pretty big musical contest! She's never been musical or even really interested in music! Her school is on the same campus as a musical school and she can't even began to imagine competing with the students from the music school!

Then she learn
Blue
Apr 30, 2015 Blue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga, 2015
3.5 (this goes for the entire series, btw - I always binge-read manga so I can never remember exactly what each volume contains)

I watched the anime when I was in grade school, and that's where I first heard Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu. The music they chose for the selections inspired me so much that by that time I was in third year high school (I was about 15 at the time), I was able to perform the aforementioned piece at a recital. I can't play it as well now, but I consider it one of my best m
Jocelyne
April 2014: 3 Stars
So I'm starting this series now (obviously)! Yay!
I'll start off by saying that I'm really not too crazy about the artwork. I can see how the artist is good for visual novel style artwork (aka, simple poses that make the characters look good, subtle shifts in facial expressions), but I find that when she draws someone in action, someone who isn't in a solid pose, it looks strange. Like with Ouran, I think it'll take me time to get used to the artwork.
I like the heroine. The fac
Beckiezra
This is the second time I've gotten this manga from the library and this time I actually managed to read all of it, but it took me more than a week of fits and starts. I don't know if it's just that I don't care much about music or if the characters weren't that interesting, but if I didn't already have the second volume I don't know that I'd bother to look for it. The drawings are nice enough. The character designs aren't all that distinctive with how little the characters actually did in this ...more
Cozen
It was a great story but I gave it barely a 3 star review because the ending really sucked. Sorry but I felt it lacked at the end.
Theresa ♫
Jan 19, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for a musical harem manga
I DID put this book on my romantic-manga shelf, so yes. There is a bit of romance in this series...I can't reveal too much.

Anyway, yeah, this book is cute. This is my first music-based series (Princess Tutu was my first Ballet series and Kaleido Star was my first Stage Arts series...). It's based on Classical music. I LOVE MUSIC!!!

Anyway, yes, this story is about Kahoko Hino, a girl that attends Seiso Academy's General Education. In the first volume, a small fairy gives Kahoko a violin that anyo
Nɪɴᴀ
This is an interesting manga which, several times, I put off primarily because the words "magic" and "violin" can up in the premise about a music manga. It put me off because I wanted to read about a character who enjoyed music and played music, well or not. But then I ran out of things to read, and so I decided to give this a try. Boy, was I surprised.

Plot
Holly Letson
If it had not been for the name-discrepancy in this volume, I would have given it 4 stars instead of 3. I didn't like how the main story calls Len Tsukimori "Len" while his fangirls called him "Ren". Now, myself, I know that L and R supposedly make the same sound in Japanese, so both those names are said the same. But, this is an American-released volume, and most Americans do not know that, so it will tick them off to see the name-discrepancy.

Aside from that, this volume was quite enjoyable.
Silver
Okay, so it is one of the better shoujo series in the pool. The premise is interesting and I'm glad they have something to focus on (music) besides romance. The characters are rather well developed with their quirks and such though. My only annoyance is with the fact that I can't bring myself to like the heroine, Kahoko. She's certainly better than most shoujo girls, but she strikes me as rather unmemorable and watered down in personality. I'm not even annoyed with the fact she doesn't realize a ...more
LiteraryLover
I initially thought this was a manga about gifted music students. What this actually is about is a girl who can see a weird fairy creature gifts her with music abilities and a magic violin. Meh. I'm at a point right now where it's just a little too contrived for my taste.
Jennifer Hendzlik
Kahoko Hino is a gen ed student with no musical talent at the Seiso Academy. To her surprise, after meeting a fairy no one else can see, she is added to the contestants for the prestigious Seiso music competition and given a magical violin that provides the talent if she provides the emotion.

Ahem. I understand what the message is with this manga-that emotions and the connection to music the musician has is what makes the talent come to life. However, as a musician, the fact that the talent is p
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
After meeting a fairy, Hino is given a magic violin. She along with other students, are chosen to participate in a music competition. The drawings were good. Good introduction to the series.
Linz
My rating gives my review of the entire series, since I only star the first volume of a manga series. I've read through about ten volumes of this series, and it's absolutely adorable.

The only problem with this series is that you can't hear the gorgeous music they play! The anime was better in these regards, but the manga has the better storyline after the anime ends. Cute and sweet, La Corda holds a special place in my heart and gets the five star rating a little easier than other manga might,
Samantha Sun
I really was drawn into this book because its different from what I usually choose to read. What caught my eye at first was how the story unfolds by telling an legend at a school that involves a magical faerie. Then from that legend, it talks about how there would be a competition and someone special will be chosen by the faerie to partake in it too. I can't help but feel this sense of mystery going on and maybe even a love triangle too. When I started reading, I would always get the characters ...more
Yejoon Kim
So, I decided to read this manga after I finished watching the first season of La Corda (anime version). I was so curious as to how the story will end so I tried reading this. Honestly, that was the first time I read a manga so I was quite confused at first. But, even though it took me a few tries to read it properly, the story still manages to bring me inside its own world.

Actually, I wrote this review right after finishing the last volume of the manga. I just couldn't make myself pause for a
Megan Sanchez
Absolutely love this! Probably one of the better shojo manga I've read in a while. High school drama, magic and fairies, gorgeous boys who are also musicians. Yes. I love it.

Our main character, Kahoko, is chosen to participate in a super exclusive music competition - only, she doesn't play an instrument. Instead, the school's fairy founder gives her a magical violin which allows her to express her emotions through music. The five other competitors are all very attractive boys.... it's basically
Stacey
interesting concept, cute execution.
Sandra
This is one of my favourite series, and it's always been very inspiring to me. It's helped me to fall in love with the violin and always inspired me to play the piano. Re-reading it makes me sad, because I'm actually quitting classes and part of me thinks I should continue. But it really is such a nice story..

I was very happy that the couple I've been rooting for all this time ended up together, in the end! Although I didn't like that Yuki Kure pulled a CLAMP on us and didn't draw a kiss. Me no
Biondy
Agak salah kali yah saya baca manga-nya setelah nonton anime-nya. Bacanya jadi banyak skimming karena masih ingat jalan ceritanya.

Hmm, berhubung ini ada unsur musiknya, animenya jelas lebih bagus. Soalnya musiknya bisa langsung didengar. Apalagi pilihan lagu di kompetisinya bagus-bagus. Banyak yang saya suka :)

Walau ceritanya lumayan bagus, tapi jujur secara tema saya lebih suka "Piano Hutan" ketimbang La Corda D'Oro ini.
Reading this to see what happens after Secondo Passo. I really wished they would've continued the anime from the second season, since Blue Sky isn't that great.
Kate
I first came across La Corda d'Oro via the anime rendition of the story. And, like many anime, the story stops just as it really gets going. So, of course I had to read the manga to see what happens next. The result is a cute little story. Yes, it has shoujo cliches, but it's told in such an earnest way that you can't help but enjoy the ride.

*As of review date, have read up through volume 13.
Selena
Eh. It was okay. Typical shoujo "Oh my god! There are super sexy boys, which one will I pick?" The art's pretty, but the problem with a manga focusing on music is the same problem as a manga focusing on dancing. You need the music and the movements! Black-and-white manga pages just don't work for music. I bet it would be better as an anime because the music plot line would be easier.
Elyse
I have to squee over this first installment just a little bit. Besides the cuteness of the story itself, I have to say that I love its promotion of the spirituality of music and how much of an impact an emotional connection with a piece of music can have on its performance.

If you are a music lover and even just an occasional manga reader, you should pick this one up.
Lauren
One of my favorite things is a reverse harem type of series and this one did not disappoint. The correlation between each of the different boys and their musical instruments was excellent and I loved how music helped to progress the story line along. Hino was such a cute character!

Anime: One of my favorites! I loved all of the music!!!
L.lawliet.fan.314
Once again, this is for the entire series. La Corda d'Oro is one of the best manga series I've read. I had originally bought the first one because it had music stuff on it. I thought, "Okay, how bad can this be?" It turned out to be funny and have a good story. I think it's great for anyone who likes music and/or a funny read.
Destiny
It took me awhile to get into this manga. I think it was because of the onslaught of characters, so it was a lot to remember. I like the premise of it though and it sounds like the shojo version of Nodame Cantabile, which I've been reading on and off. Looking forward to reading more of this though, so I can get a better opinion on it ^^
Anastasiya
Well. Well.
When I think about it, most of the interesting things I've read came to me through chance. This is not different.

It made me want to listen to classical music. I mean, there is no way I'm passing by the works mentioned without listening to them. That's like, sacrilegious! Or something...

I enjoyed it.
Rosie
actually, I watched the anime, because i was lazy. I like the idea, but then the main character, gets so unsure of herself, she acts like a wimp/baby, and she has like 5 guys who like her and she doesn't notice......

sometimes, she makes me want to rip all my hair out!
Winna
Udah nonton anime-nya sebagian. Komiknya kayaknya menarik, sih. Karakter Len terlalu predictable, though, dan terlalu banyak cowoknya. Apalagi kebanyakan cowoknya sepertinya bakal suka sama Kahoko semua.

I think I'd watch more of the anime.
Shoujo Manga Book...: La Corda d'Oro Reviews 3 27 Feb 08, 2014 04:27AM
Shoujo Manga Book...: La Corda d'Oro Discussion Questions 6 24 Dec 10, 2012 07:33PM
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Captive Hearts, Vol. 01 (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Vol. 01
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • I.O.N
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)
  • Special A, Vol. 1 (Special A, #1)
  • B.O.D.Y., Volume 1
  • Haruka: Beyond the Stream of Time, Volume 1
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 2 (Wild Ones, #2)
  • Goong: Palace Story Vol.1 (Goong #1)
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01

La Corda d'Oro (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 2
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 8
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 9
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 10
  • La Corda d'Oro, Vol. 11
La Corda d'Oro, Volume 2 La Corda d'Oro, Volume 4 La Corda d'Oro, Volume 3 La Corda d'Oro, Volume 5 La Corda d'Oro, Volume 6