Thinking Through Genre: Units of Study in Reading and Writing Workshops Grades 4-12

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Being able to read and write in a variety of genres is a common requirement for today's students. Thinking Through Genre supports English teachers who seek to engage their students in genre studies in the reading and writing workshop. The book profiles six different units of study: memoir, feature article, editorial, short story, fairy tale, and response to literature. Eac...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Through Genre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Through Genre

Molly
I read this book because I'm going to teach 8th grade for the first time after 5 years teaching upper high school. I noticed a lot of middle school curricula organized by genre, and I wanted to know why. Lattimer teaches genre as inquiry-based studies of text forms, which students can "leave owning their knowledge." Students read many, many examples of each genre, discover its characteristics for themselves, use pieces as models for their own writing in different genres, and integrate genre know...more
Tammy Ward
The author really opened my eyes to better see how to connect reading and writing. I appreciated the reminder to create units of study beyond fiction and non-fiction, to more focused authentic reading and writing purposes, especially with non-fiction. For example, students can explore author's purpose, position, questioning the text, developing an opinion and supporting that opinion through a study of reading editorials and then composing their own.

Beyond providing some nice examples of genre u...more
Janet
Very practical book on teaching the genre-study approach in secondary classrooms. Lattimer found a good balance between a general sense of the genre study, specific lesson ideas, and illustrative examples at a variety of levels. I like how she focuses on authentic products (e.g., book reviews, feature articles) instead of school-based "genres" like essays or literary response.
Joe Wood
Dec 20, 2010 Joe Wood added it
Shelves: 2010-work
I'm marking this as "read" but I have never actually read it cover to cover. Its just a nice book to have around as you think about teaching different genres of reading and writing and can be a great source of ideas.
Natalie
.... about the most boring redundant book I've had to read for one of my grad classes
Donalyn
Outstanding book with detailed lesson ideas that integrate reading and writing.
Sarahfnm
FANTASTIC book. Someone stole mine though. ahhhh
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Cindy Nath
Cindy Nath is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Jon
Jon is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Liz Koenig
Liz Koenig marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Christine Edwards
Christine Edwards marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Mary Taylor
Mary Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Karma Nordstrom
Karma Nordstrom marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Nizam Sadiq
Nizam Sadiq marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Sunny Staab
Sunny Staab marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Leaf
Leaf marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Barb Mountenay
Barb Mountenay marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013