Start by marking “Thinking Through Genre: Units of Study in Reading and Writing Workshops Grades 4-12” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Being able to read and write in a variety of genres is a common requirement for today's students. Thinking Through Genre supports English teachers who seek to engage their students in genre studies in the reading and writing workshop. The book profiles six different units of study: memoir, feature article, editorial, short story, fairy tale, and response to literature. Eac ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Through Genre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Through Genre

Molly
Jul 27, 2013 Molly rated it really liked it
I read this book because I'm going to teach 8th grade for the first time after 5 years teaching upper high school. I noticed a lot of middle school curricula organized by genre, and I wanted to know why. Lattimer teaches genre as inquiry-based studies of text forms, which students can "leave owning their knowledge." Students read many, many examples of each genre, discover its characteristics for themselves, use pieces as models for their own writing in different genres, and integrate genre know ...more
Tammy Ward
Jul 05, 2012 Tammy Ward rated it really liked it
The author really opened my eyes to better see how to connect reading and writing. I appreciated the reminder to create units of study beyond fiction and non-fiction, to more focused authentic reading and writing purposes, especially with non-fiction. For example, students can explore author's purpose, position, questioning the text, developing an opinion and supporting that opinion through a study of reading editorials and then composing their own.

Beyond providing some nice examples of genre u
Janet
May 22, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Very practical book on teaching the genre-study approach in secondary classrooms. Lattimer found a good balance between a general sense of the genre study, specific lesson ideas, and illustrative examples at a variety of levels. I like how she focuses on authentic products (e.g., book reviews, feature articles) instead of school-based "genres" like essays or literary response.
Joe Wood
Dec 20, 2010 Joe Wood added it
Shelves: 2010-work
I'm marking this as "read" but I have never actually read it cover to cover. Its just a nice book to have around as you think about teaching different genres of reading and writing and can be a great source of ideas.
Natalie
Jun 13, 2009 Natalie rated it did not like it
.... about the most boring redundant book I've had to read for one of my grad classes
Donalyn
Jan 29, 2012 Donalyn rated it really liked it
Outstanding book with detailed lesson ideas that integrate reading and writing.
Sarahfnm
Jan 08, 2011 Sarahfnm rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC book. Someone stole mine though. ahhhh
Elena
Jan 18, 2011 Elena rated it really liked it
test
Karen Drake
Karen Drake marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Cindi
Cindi marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Cassie Rae
Cassie Rae marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Cait
Cait added it
Apr 26, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Sarah Lutz
Sarah Lutz marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Melissa Luttrell-Hill
Melissa Luttrell-Hill marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Ms. Belgira
Ms. Belgira rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Lisa Scherff
Lisa Scherff rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015