Start by marking “Going The Distance” as Want to Read:
Going The Distance

Going The Distance

Chaotic, likeable Maddy Beckett lives in Milton St John, where horses, trainers and jockeys outnumber the rest of the inhabitants. Fully recovered from a disastrous love affair and running a successful small business, she is her own woman - until she meets deliciously tall, dark and wealthy Drew Fitzgerald. All is going swimmingly well until his cool and impossibly elegant ...more
Paperback
Published February 3rd 1997 by Orion (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Going The Distance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going The Distance

Nell
Jun 15, 2008 Nell rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed with this book. So many of my friends praise this writer I was quite excited about reading this but it had an unheroic hero and a disagreeable heroine. The setting left me cold and I just couldn't get into it.
CLM
Aug 11, 2007 CLM rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Betsy and Michele
I adore this author, especially the early books about the racing community in Milton St. John, of which this is one.
katie
I love this book SO MUCH.
Tania
Sep 15, 2009 Tania rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
quotes#732854 from my notebook

She turned the key. Nothing. She tried again. The engine didn't even whimper. There was a strange buzzing noise. Pushing her ear against the dashboard, Maddy cursed. Suzy had left the radio on all night. The battery was as flat as squashed hedgeghog. p46

Apart from that, you're a brilliant jockey. It's a bit tough though - Ricahrd can't ride because he's got ginger hair and freckles and a lived-in-face. p80 [noted this as I'm a redhead - how dare they??? lol:]
Verity W
Jul 15, 2014 Verity W rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as I've liked the rest of Christina Jones' books. I was really looking forward to meeting the characters in Milton St John that I encountered as a side story in Heaven Sent, but of all the romantic plot devices, affairs and married men are my least favourite and the one I have the most trouble with getting past. But it was still good, I still liked the characters - and it was the least problematic of the affair-y plots that I've read I think.
Sharon
Nov 28, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was something about Jones’ writing style that captured me instantly. It’s not a masterpiece, in fact quite simple writing and a simple, fairly predictable storyline, but she manages to inject such warmth into her heroine Maddy Beckett that you fall in love with her right from the start. Despite the fact that Maddy’s morals are far from perfect – having an affair with a married man – you accept her, flaws and all, and can’t help but love her.
Jo
May 09, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite book. I have had to replace my oringal as I had worn it out. It is not the greatest book ever written. But there is something about it that I just love and re-read this 3 or 4 times a year over the last 15 years.
I love the charcters, espcially the main - Maddie and Drew.
It boarders on Mills and Boon and is; therefore, my guilty pleasure.
Dark-Draco
Apr 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read - a tame Jilly Cooper set in the world of horse racing. It's a love story and although predictable, in that you know the girls gonna get the boy, there are plenty of bumps along the way.
Donna Irwin
Jul 23, 2011 Donna Irwin rated it really liked it
I love Christina Jones so wasa delighted to find this in the charity shop in St Ives!! Another great holiday read - made me smile as usual.
Zara Pemberton
Mar 06, 2014 Zara Pemberton rated it it was ok
wasn't as good at the start, taken ages to rest. Started to get into it halfway through. It was my first book of hers I have read.
Annette Donaldson
Feb 19, 2010 Annette Donaldson rated it liked it
good easy reading but lacks a little grit!
Sally Hatfield was nash
Nov 01, 2015 Sally Hatfield was nash rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Not very realistic but cosy, nice and predictable.
Amanda Jane
Jun 03, 2012 Amanda Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This was the first I read and remains my favourite. I'd love Maddy as a friend and I have a major literary crush on Drew.

My copy of this has been loved almost to disintegration.
Niki
Jul 04, 2016 Niki rated it liked it
Romantic, sometimes a bit silly, generally an ok book
Francesca
Mar 20, 2015 Francesca rated it it was amazing
Sweet romance and lovable characters .
Kirsty
Oct 04, 2010 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite book!
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Mrs C Watkin
Mrs C Watkin rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Jessica Davies
Jessica Davies rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Marie Allcock
Marie Allcock rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Lynnette Stewart
Lynnette Stewart rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2014
Mel Collins
Mel Collins rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Yvonne Hawkins
Yvonne Hawkins rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Sandie
Sandie rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Kirsty Greenwood
Kirsty Greenwood rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Elizabeth Tomlinson
Elizabeth Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Indigo
Indigo rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
  • James Herriot's Favorite Dog Stories
  • Summer Kisses
  • Lucy Talk
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • A Kind Man
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • Azur Like It
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • Pip
  • Second Thyme Around
  • Is There Anything You Want?
  • The Highland Clearances
  • The Prodigal Daughter
  • A Valentine's Kiss
  • Blowing It
  • Danger Zones
  • Rhanna
  • Her Sister's Baby
I've written all my life, but only became a published novelist in 1997. Before that, I wrote short stories and newspaper articles for pin money while doing a series of naff jobs. In fact I've had twenty seven jobs and been sacked from nineteen of them for writing when I should have been working. I've been, among other things, a shop assistant, waitress, cleaner, secretary, factory worker, market-r ...more
More about Christina Jones...