Start by marking “Going The Distance” as Want to Read:
Going The Distance

Going The Distance

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Chaotic, likeable Maddy Beckett lives in Milton St John, where horses, trainers and jockeys outnumber the rest of the inhabitants. Fully recovered from a disastrous love affair and running a successful small business, she is her own woman - until she meets deliciously tall, dark and wealthy Drew Fitzgerald. All is going swimmingly well until his cool and impossibly elegant ...more
Paperback
Published February 3rd 1997 by Orion (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Going The Distance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going The Distance

Nell
I was really disappointed with this book. So many of my friends praise this writer I was quite excited about reading this but it had an unheroic hero and a disagreeable heroine. The setting left me cold and I just couldn't get into it.
CLM
Jun 03, 2010 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betsy and Michele
I adore this author, especially the early books about the racing community in Milton St. John, of which this is one.
Sharon
There was something about Jones’ writing style that captured me instantly. It’s not a masterpiece, in fact quite simple writing and a simple, fairly predictable storyline, but she manages to inject such warmth into her heroine Maddy Beckett that you fall in love with her right from the start. Despite the fact that Maddy’s morals are far from perfect – having an affair with a married man – you accept her, flaws and all, and can’t help but love her.
Tania
quotes#732854 from my notebook

She turned the key. Nothing. She tried again. The engine didn't even whimper. There was a strange buzzing noise. Pushing her ear against the dashboard, Maddy cursed. Suzy had left the radio on all night. The battery was as flat as squashed hedgeghog. p46

Apart from that, you're a brilliant jockey. It's a bit tough though - Ricahrd can't ride because he's got ginger hair and freckles and a lived-in-face. p80 [noted this as I'm a redhead - how dare they??? lol:]
Verity W
I didn't like this as much as I've liked the rest of Christina Jones' books. I was really looking forward to meeting the characters in Milton St John that I encountered as a side story in Heaven Sent, but of all the romantic plot devices, affairs and married men are my least favourite and the one I have the most trouble with getting past. But it was still good, I still liked the characters - and it was the least problematic of the affair-y plots that I've read I think.
Jo
My all time favorite book. I have had to replace my oringal as I had worn it out. It is not the greatest book ever written. But there is something about it that I just love and re-read this 3 or 4 times a year over the last 15 years.
I love the charcters, espcially the main - Maddie and Drew.
It boarders on Mills and Boon and is; therefore, my guilty pleasure.
Zara Pemberton
wasn't as good at the start, taken ages to rest. Started to get into it halfway through. It was my first book of hers I have read.
Dark-Draco
An enjoyable read - a tame Jilly Cooper set in the world of horse racing. It's a love story and although predictable, in that you know the girls gonna get the boy, there are plenty of bumps along the way.
Amanda Jane
This was the first I read and remains my favourite. I'd love Maddy as a friend and I have a major literary crush on Drew.

My copy of this has been loved almost to disintegration.
Donna Irwin
I love Christina Jones so wasa delighted to find this in the charity shop in St Ives!! Another great holiday read - made me smile as usual.
Tasneem
This was a good, fun read. I love Jones wit and humour. Her descriptions are spot on.
Annette Donaldson
good easy reading but lacks a little grit!
Kirsty
This is my favourite book!
Brittany Price
Brittany Price marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Bdmbburrier
Bdmbburrier marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Beccy
Beccy added it
Oct 23, 2014
Ana-Maria
Ana-Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Azur Like It
  • Pip
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • Second Thyme Around
  • The Importance of Being Emma (Darcy & Friends #1)
  • Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
  • An Accidental Light
  • The Bells of Bournville Green
  • A Sweet Obscurity
  • Miracles and Idolatry
  • The Highland Clearances
  • Village Secrets (Tales from Turnham Malpas #5)
  • Sowing Secrets
  • Lovers And Strangers
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
I've written all my life, but only became a published novelist in 1997. Before that, I wrote short stories and newspaper articles for pin money while doing a series of naff jobs. In fact I've had twenty seven jobs and been sacked from nineteen of them for writing when I should have been working. I've been, among other things, a shop assistant, waitress, cleaner, secretary, factory worker, market-r ...more
More about Christina Jones...
Heaven Sent Hubble Bubble Love Potions Seeing Stars Moonshine