Start by marking “Nefertiti: Egypt's Sun Queen” as Want to Read:
Nefertiti: Egypt's Sun Queen

Nefertiti: Egypt's Sun Queen

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  358 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In the tradition of her intriguing Hatchepsut, Joyce Tyldesley rescues another female ruler from the shadows of history c. 1350 B.C.: Queen Nefertiti (literally "a beautiful woman has come"). We know her from the exquisite painted bust in the Berlin Museum, discovered in 1912, which has made her ancient Egypt's most recognizable queen and a symbol of her country's history. ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Viking Adult (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Nefertiti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nefertiti

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankEleanor of Aquitaine by Alison WeirThe Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia FraserThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirCatherine the Great by Robert K. Massie
Female Biographies
84th out of 656 books — 232 voters
True Hollywood Noir by Dina Di MambroStories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweMe by Katharine HepburnNatasha by Suzanne FinstadNever Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda
Celebrity Biography
95th out of 616 books — 205 voters

More lists with this book...

Niki
Aug 18, 2015 Niki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading Joyce's book on Hatshepsut, which I loved and enjoyed. I did find this book very interesting however I found that there wasnt as much about Nefertiti as I was expecting or would have liked. I understand that there is so much unknown about Nefertiti but I would have loved it if the book focused more on her and how she fit into the Amarna Period.
Sofia
Dec 29, 2014 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful and well researched, but we just don't know much of anything about Nefertiti, so the book ends up speculating a lot about Herself and talking a lot more about the previous ruler, Nefertiti's husband, and then her husband's successor.
Lauralee
The bust of Nefertiti that is housed in Berlin’s museum is one of the most famous icons in popular culture. Because of her beauty, she has become the symbol of Ancient Egypt. Her face is on key-rings, iphone cases, post-cards, t-shirts, etc. Aside from her image, who was the mysterious Nefertiti? How much power and influence did she actually have? What were her accomplishments besides being merely beautiful? Joyce Tyldesley’s biography seeks to answer these questions.

There are few known details
Lisa
Aug 07, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nefertiti fans.
As someone who admires and is fascinated by Nefertiti, but loathes attempts to turn Nefertiti into some kind of wonder woman, I find Joyce Tyldesley's book an excellent volume on one of Egypt's most famous and iconic queens. Tyldesley presents Nefertiti as a strong, powerful queen but her portrait relies firmly on the evidence and the most likely scenarios developed from this evidence.

For instance, Tyldesley considers the proposition that Nefertiti became the pharaoh Smenkhkara, but ultimately d
Ebba Schmidt
Jun 28, 2015 Ebba Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books about Egypt always contain a lot of guesswork because while the amount of information gleaned from burial sites etc is astonishing after such a long time,there is still so much unknown. This book is well written but can't quite draw Nefertiti out of obscurity - I felt it was really more about Akhenaten and his short-lived regime, with Nefertiti a shadowy side figure. Nonetheless a very good read.
Aleksandra
Jun 13, 2014 Aleksandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Przystępna, prosto napisana biografia, dobrze nadająca się na pierwszą lekturę na temat Echnatona, jego małżonki i programu religijnej reformy. Autorka raczej streszcza stanowiska niż proponuje własne, mniej znane zjawiska z obrębu egipskiej kultury objaśnia w przystępny (nawet jeśli czasem uproszczony) sposób, a o dziejach swojej bohaterki i jej rodziny opowiada dostatecznie wciągająco, żeby zaintrygować czytelnika; książka jest przyjemna w lekturze, a jednocześnie daje zarys biografii królowej ...more
Apr 17, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good and interesting, there is so much that is vague and unknowable about Nefertiti and the arising of Aten, its a difficult topic to write about, yet she managed so well to write it out, and explain in detail the number of possibilities, very well done.
Maja
Mar 23, 2011 Maja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hightly interesting books that tries to answer some of the many questions about the world-famous Nefertiti. Who was she? What was her role in her time? And where did she suddenly go? None of these questions have just one clear answer. But the author, Joyce Tyldesley, tries to rule out some theories and stress the liability of others. This book shows that, sadly, there's very little that we in fact do know about Ancient Egypt. Archeological findings don't have just one interpretation. It remain ...more
Chris
Excellent history book!!
Rob
Fascinating glimpse into the life of a royal who we will never know as much about as we wish we could…
Rozonda
Mar 10, 2013 Rozonda rated it it was amazing
Very, very interesting book which shows the factual documents and works of art we have about Nefertiti and her time, and shows in fact how little we know; it doesn't give a definitive answer to the many enigmas surrounding the Queen and her husband but gives a good deal of food for thought, posing so many questions. An excellent work of investigation bt Tyldesley, didactic and easy to read, a pleasure for Ancient Egypt lovers. ...more
₵oincidental   Ðandy
A well-researched book - Ms. Tyldesley knows her Egyptian history; she is particularly knowledgeable about the (controversial) Amarna period. She brings Nefertiti & Akhenaten (including their immediate & extended family members as well as other peripheral characters) to life. A good & enjoyable book.
Elaine
Feb 22, 2014 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't have much to say about this book. While it was very interesting and informative, it was more about Akhenaten than Nefertiti which I didn't much care for because I wanted to read about Nefertiti. I think only two whole chapters were devoted to her out of the whole book.
Barbara
Aug 11, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology, egypt
Interesting, although the title is badly chosen. It is more abbout her husband and the city he founded than about Nefertiti. Also it is more an interpretation of certain reliefs and depictions which are sometimes talked about in detail but not shown than about her life.
Rach
A good overview and analysis of Nefertiti and the Amarna period. It was a bit dry, but at least it was concise. It was a good companion to the fictional novel about Nefertiti and her family that I read previously.
Rebecca Huston
Sep 01, 2010 Rebecca Huston rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, egypt
A rather so-so book about Nefertiti that is more conjecture rather than fact. Still, alright to read, just not great.

For the complete review, please go here:
Angela Pezel
Jan 29, 2014 Angela Pezel rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I think this is older than some of the recent research that has come to light right regarding Akhenaten and his family in general. I think I might read more on this subject matter.
Sandy
Aug 07, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the interesting look Queen Nefertiti and although we don't really know what happened to her the book does offer insights into what was going on during this period in Egyptian history.
Amber
Mar 02, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Very interesting information but it's difficult to keep all of the names straight! Especially since they are long and very unfamiliar to my ears.
Elli
It doesn't pay to neglect history. Nefertiti continues to intrigue - what exactly happened to her is still up in the air.
Forrest
Good sholarly history, but not as readable as some of her other books.
Mar 27, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blah. I love Egypt, and I love history. But this book nearly bored me to death.
Leah
May 25, 2008 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have the hardcover of this book, which doesn't appear on goodreads.
Meena
May 02, 2008 Meena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BANSI
Shelves: meena, hey
ITS OKAY

SHOULD HAVE MORE THINGS IN IT
Jeffry
Jul 30, 2009 Jeffry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed all Tyldesley's speculative biography. Great stuff.
jaclyn rohan
jaclyn rohan marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Camille Dorset
Camille Dorset marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Kira
Kira rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
  • Akhenaten: King of Egypt
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
  • Women in Ancient Egypt
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaohs' Tombmakers
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • The Lost Tomb
  • The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt
  • Cleopatra: A Biography
  • The Murder of Tutankhamen
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Reading Egyptian Art: A Hieroglyphic Guide to Ancient Egyptian Painting and Sculpture
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times
  • The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt
  • The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt: The History of a Civilisation from 3000 BC to Cleopatra
Joyce Tyldesley is a British archaeologist and Egyptologist, academic, writer and broadcaster.

Tyldesley was born in Bolton, Lancashire and attended Bolton School. In 1981, she earned a first-class honours degree in archaeology from Liverpool University, and a doctorate in Prehistoric Archaeology from Oxford in 1986. She is a Teaching Fellow at Manchester University where she is tutor and course or
More about Joyce A. Tyldesley...