Start by marking “Brave Margaret: An Irish Adventure” as Want to Read:
Brave Margaret: An Irish Adventure

Brave Margaret: An Irish Adventure

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Margaret has a brave heart. She dreams of adventure and longs to travel to distant lands, so when a tall ship appears in the harbor, headed north to the Kingdoms of the Cold, Margaret won't be left behind.
But adventures are perilous things. Soon Margaret must face a ferocious sea serpent and even worse dangers. And she must discover the truth about an old woman with stra
Published February 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Brave Margaret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Margaret

Kathryn
Mar 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A great adventure in the old fairy-tales sort of tradition, but this time with a great twist as it's Margaret who gets to battle the monster! The illustrations are great!
Wendy
Oct 29, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
In this Irish folktale, Margaret is a courageous heroine who takes charge of her fate. Given that this book is truly a folk tale, it's refreshing and exciting to see a heroine represented. At the end of the book, San Souci describes the story of Margaret (identifying the sources), what compelled him to capture the story, and that he sought to stay true to the story. That acknowledgment was important, because there are few traditional tales in which the female is the heroine who, in this case, sa ...more
Beverly
Jan 17, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
This tale is a great March fit: Irish story for St. Patrick's Day and a strong female character for Women's History Month. Although in picture book format, it is a long story and therefore suitable for about 3rd grade students and older.
The pastel illustrations are full of energy and movement and help propel the story along.
This is a rousing tale of action, and Margaret is a determined, independent woman with a mind of her own. Although not foreshadowed, she apparently also has the skills to d
Emily
Sep 24, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-board
Margaret is a brave, self-sufficient young woman. She craves adventure and jumps at the chance to travel to far-away lands. She is willing to sacrifice herself to save the rest of those on the ship, but she doesn't submit quietly to being eaten by the sea serpent...she fights back and defeats it. When her prince fails to destroy the giant, she impulsively grabs the weapon and discovers that she is the prophesied champion. "What fools we are for thinking it must be a man who slays that great, dir ...more
Rebecca
Apr 27, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations and an awesome heroine that's part Isolde, part Eowyn, and part Merida. Loved it!
Heather
Feb 28, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I saw this at the library and decided that it sounded awesome (Margaret is wielding a sword on the cover!). And I read to my own little Margaret and it WAS awesome. I think I'll get this book for her: I love stories of strong women- especially women who come into a fight after their boyfriend already got killed by the giant and then finish off the giant themselves. Too many love stories have helpless heroines who need to be saved by a man. It's not often you find a gem where the man needs saving ...more
Roxanne
Mar 29, 2014 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
It has been ages since I have read this book but I still remember it. There are so many good books that depict various women and men facing their fears and their weaknesses. It is a picture book but I would categorize this as a coming of teenage age book. It is the tale of a bold, red haired young woman who longs to see the world. One day, she meets a prince and she falls in love with him. The prince, though he sees that she is beautiful he admires her fierce personality. He agrees to take her o ...more
Kathy
Jul 29, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Eve got to choose a dozen books to read on vacation. She chose well. I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to read any with her but I did enjoy hearing her correct her grandpa D. when he jokingly edited the story to make it his own.
Jean-Marie
"I am the champion you have waited for!" Margaret cried to the astonished old woman."What fools we are for thinking it must be a man who slays that great, dirty giant!"

If you love Brave's Merida you will love Brave Margaret. She can slay a giant and a sea monster with the best of them, not to mention row a boat, ride a steed and save the Prince.

We read aloud this picture book to complement our Middle Ages history lesson about the Celts.
Dolly
Mar 18, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining Irish story that features a spunky and adventurous young woman. Our family loved the fact that Margaret was the hero of the tale - they pretty much guessed the ending, but it didn't diminish their enjoyment of the tale.

The pastel illustrations added a lot of expression and detail and complemented the story nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the March 2014 - Ireland discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the
June
Mar 01, 2014 June rated it really liked it
An Irish woman longs to see more of the world. She faces a sea monster and a giant.

She marries the prince she saved.
Jenny
Feb 09, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
Brave Margaret is a girl who sought out adventure and didn't back down. She shows a woman can be brave and strong. This story is a good one and exciting.
Karen
Apr 19, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. The story was wonderful, and wonderfully-told, and the artwork was staggeringly beautiful.
Miranda
Nov 13, 2015 Miranda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of girls
I loved the heroine of this book - she was brave and competent and described as 'a red woman' - no specific mention was made that she was beautiful. The pictures, however, were, and the story was exciting. The ending was perhaps a little contrived - Simon, the lover, was handily brought back to life by the witch - and it was interesting that the witch was never punished for her attempt to entrap Margaret. However, Margaret's defeat of the giant (which I see also occurs in the original folk tale) ...more
Jessica
Jan 26, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Carol
Mar 21, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Romance, danger, magic - it all boils down to a good story. It's a good read aloud for boys and girls. It's got enough adventure and monsters to keep any boy entertained and the brave, undaunted, more than competent Margaret is the kind of princess little girls will love.

You can find my whole review at my blog, Carol's Notebook.
Julia
Feb 14, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I like when she killed the sea monster. I like when she took down the sword of light and I like when she was with the old woman and she killed the giant. I like when the girl got the bottle and made herself a raven-haired beauty, and I like the part when they marry and when they have lots of good things. I like the word "lifetime."
Sharon Green
Dec 01, 2008 Sharon Green rated it liked it
grades 2-4
independent/guided reading
fluent
high fantasy
personification, rhyme,cultural language
weak text&illustration interaction although beautiful illustrations
love story, person versus nature, fantasy creatures, sailing, courage, romance, battles
Nadia
Dec 22, 2013 Nadia rated it it was amazing
Joey Fong
An Irish folktale about a brave young woman who rescued her lover from the dragon. Great for teaching diversity and learning about different cultures, compare and contrast with other versions of this folktale, and summarizing.
Kristina
Jan 09, 2011 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Fantastic children's book with a strong female lead. Discovered this when I was required to give a lecture on a book for my Children's Lit class. Got an A and everyone was thrilled to learn about an otherwise unknown title.
Tiffany
May 28, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
great adventure story... it's not the woman who needs to be saved. it's the woman who does the saving. my daughter enjoyed this. she is 6 but that is the lower end of the age level for this book. great illustrations.
Gretchen
Mar 23, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
I have a daughter named Margaret--she is the epitome of this heroine-she has so much courage and is willing to be the person she knows she must be. I gave her this book.
Kate
Mar 07, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
A wonderful story of a true woman. My mom gave this book to my sister, Margaret, one Christmas. The main character's personality fiti my sister's so well.
Caitlin
Mar 26, 2008 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Beautiful illustrations, great story. I see this book being perfect for kids as young as six and as old as 12, but really, any age would enjoy it.
Josephine
Nov 20, 2012 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Wonderfully retold folktale,with pacing that is perfect for children. Distinctive illustrations complement the tone of the book.
Chacha Centeno
Feb 26, 2013 Chacha Centeno rated it it was amazing
A woman as fierce and brave as the color of her hair, I love Irish adventures. A great book with wonderful illustrations.
The Reading Countess
Apr 29, 2011 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
An Irish tale of bravery and love springs alive complete with a sword and a monster. Boys would love this one.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Would you ever doubt San Souci? A sweet, adventurous tale from Ireland with incredible illustrations.
Mira Domsky
Old Irish Folktale about about a strong woman. Short and illustrated, good for older kids.
  • O'Sullivan Stew
  • Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • Dangerously Ever After
  • The Bunyans
  • The Princess and the White Bear King (book and cd)
Mr. San Souci lives in San Francisco, California.
More about Robert D. San Souci...