Start by marking “Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14)” as Want to Read:
Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14)

Absolute Rage (Butch Karp #14)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  709 ratings  ·  40 reviews
"While New York City sizzles beneath a blanket of early summer humidity, the Karp family is happily taking refuge in their renovated farmhouse on Long Island's north shore. Karp's battles against the City's corrupt politicans are never-ending. His wife, Marlene, is training guard dogs on their picturesque acreage; Lucy is enjoying her summer break from Boston College and p ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Rage

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerBrave New World by Aldous Huxley1984 by George OrwellCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Gilmore Girls: Season 7
52nd out of 73 books — 15 voters
Macbeth by William ShakespeareThe History of the Peloponnesian War by ThucydidesThe Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward GibbonRichard III by William ShakespeareEuclid's Elements by Euclid
Richard Gilmore Reading List
17th out of 18 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Really good story! I had a hard time putting it down!
S. Lynham
Every one of the books in this series are fun to read...Butch and Marlene are a very unusual pair...Butch, the highly moral and upstanding D.A. and Marlene, the very different woman who is awesomely good at bending, even breaking, the rules Butch lives by as well as the law.....the characters who fill the pages of this series are interesting and well-developed...I like how the series also includes a lot about the personal lives of all of the characters...every time you pick up the next book in t ...more
I became introduced to Tanenbaum and his fascinating characters, Butch Karp, his wife Marlene, and their three extraordinary children, when I picked up a copy of Malice in the cruise ship library during my recent vacation, so I was delighted to find this book on the swap shelf at the Hospital this week. It turns out that this is a prequel to, perhaps a few times removed, for Malice, but the characters are just as delightful, as is the story.

In this novel, Butch Is still an assistant district att
Aug 20, 2014 Susan added it
My absolute favorite Butch Karp/Marleene Ciampi..."fair and square" Butch attacks the villians above the board, while "slightly bent" Marlene attacks the villians from below...the villians are behind the brutal slayings of family members the Karps befriend over the summer out on the island...the family is involved in unoin work in the coal mines of W.Virginai...many of the characters in the Karp circle emerge for a fun ride!!!
Carl Alves
In this novel Marlene Ciampi gets sucked into a neighbor’s hard luck story about a family feud in West Virginia. Marlene packs up the entire family and brings them down to the coal town using her legal background. Her actions brings them into serious danger not just for her but for her family. As a result, she brings in a Vietnamese thug to take care of the bad guys.

I wasn’t buying into the story line in this novel. The feuding families idea felt flat to me. Marlene bringing her family into dang
#14 in the NYC ADA Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi series.

NYC ADA Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi series - Marlene Ciampi, against her better judgment ("Don't get involved, tattoo it on your forehead, Ciampi!") falls for a New York neighbor's sob story about a long-simmering family feud in a West Virginia coal town. The sudden savage murders back in West Virginia of the neighbor and her daughter and her labor-agitator husband bring both Marlene and her husband, Butch Karp, down to the boonies in th
When I first started this, I was completely ready to hate it. First, I'm starting mid-series- which is always a bit dangerous. Second, it's an adult book and I don't go for the adult drama much.

But this one was actually really good. I kept waiting for a crazy plot twist or something really outrageous. And, don't get me wrong, there are a few outrageous things - but in all, I absolutely enjoyed the story. The crime, the people - all the POV's were easy to maneuver and the story clipped along quic
Aug 11, 2011 Bob added it
NY Assistant DA Butch Karp has a wife who was a lawyer and was also involved in some questionable activities and is now raising guard dogs. They have a daughter in college who is a whiz at languages and twin boys of 10 who while they look alike, have totally different personalities. Butch’s wife Marlene and the kids meet a neighbor on the beach and strike up an acquaintance with Rose and her daughter who plays with the twins. Rose’s husband is a union organizer in a small town in rural West Virg ...more
The first hundred pages of this book were boring-- at first. Then, I realized that the author had done such a superb job of introducing his characters and then was allowing his characters to drive the story that I decided that I was really quite impressed. Often, if you read my reviews, and I'm not certain too many folks do, I am complaining about a lack of characterization even in the midst of a page-turning plot. This time, we get a lot of character intro and then a decent plot. Sadly, I felt ...more
Actually ghosted by one of my favorite current writers Michael Gruber. I'm distressed to find that I have only one more to read in this series before Gruber quit and it was continued under other ghostwriters. His last book was appropriately titled "Resolved" in 2003. This one is typically tight, typically convincing (in spite of the highly improbable story-line) and eminently readable until the last page. The series characters are just as multifaceted as usual, and every improbable detail of the ...more
Jun 26, 2009 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Legal Thriller Fans
I had ignored Tanenbaum's (or is it Gruber's) Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi suspense series for a few years. A few months ago, I picked up "Resolved", enjoyed it immensely and was intrigued by its many references to the previous story Absolute Rage.

As in most of these novels, the plot starts out in mundane ways and keeps getting more and more unreal but by the time you are at the point where believability is totally threatened, the story has you hooked.

In this case, a family Marlene and Butch bare
Another book I plucked from the ex's garage sale finds. I loved it. A book with only marital sex and not too much detail? Check. A teenage girl who is religious? Check. A mom who has violent tendencies who is friends with a former Vietcong soldier/commander? Check. An Appalachian feud? Check. These characters are human, in other words, and well-fleshed out. I can't wait to read more books with these fascinating characters.
Barbara ★
I enjoyed this even though it starts out as a rich-people, family-themed beach read. Once the Heeney's are murdered, the story really gets going and it's action, action, action.

The premise is an old mining town in West Virginia is run by the Union leader and not the town itself. The police, judges, lawyers, hell everyone, is bought and paid for by the union. So whatever they say goes. Red Heeney is running against the Union head and when it appears he might actually win, the Heeney's are murder
Karp and Marlene investigate miners’ union corruption in Appalachia after a family with whom they have just become acquainted is murdered in their home in West Virginia. Excellent portrayal of small-town corruption and greed in a tightly-plotted novel that also features the Karp children in more prominent roles.
Mary Holland
One of the problems with a long-running and successful mystery thriller series is the author's need to generate a bigger bang each time. Tanenbaum/Gruber moves the action out of New York to Long Island where the Karps are vacationing, and to Kentucky where the story takes an abrupt turn into local union politics and strip-mining. Through a batch of unbelievable legal shenanigans, Butch Karp is appointed a special investigator for the governor of Kentucky, while Marlene is involved in the defense ...more
Harry Lane
An inventive plot, based on some rather dismal labor history. Continuing characters are put in new situations and faced with social circumstances unlike any they have previously known. A fast-paced good read.
This is an older series with the characters Karp/Ciampi (Karp is an assistant DA and Ciampi is a former attorney now raising dogs). I have not read another book in this series.
In this book the Karp family is vacationing on Long Island and meet another family (Heeney) that they befriend. When that family returns to a small WV mining town they are murdered. The mining town has problems with the union and the company that owns the mine. The Feds bring in Karp to help find out who murdered the fami
erudite, funny, interesting characters - and best of all, one in a series I haven't read before, so I'll get hours of pleasure catching up.
Another good episode. Lucy brings a lot to the story and I hope future episodes include her in larger roles.
It makes total sense that an NYC DA would get involved with some "gangsters" from WV.
I always enjoy catching up with Butch & Marlene and crew and this book was extra enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised that Marlene and her usual violent drama was taking a backseat as I often feel the Butch/Marlene tension sullies the storyline. However, don't think she's turned into a doormat. She's back with a bang near the end of the book and it's a doozy. I'm looking forward to the next book in the story because I'm wondering "where do we go from here?"
This was my first Tanenbaum book and quite possibly my last. Mercifully it was lent to me. I have yet to see the title fit the plot. The first couple pages regarding the hitman grabbed my attention, the rest was ridiculous.

The character development is very weak. The characters, thin as water. The plot could be strong, yet winds up flimsy & laughable. I have a second book by this author lent to me. I believe I'll just return it.
Good for listening to in the car.
I really enjoyed this crime thriller. It's much more than a beach book but it would be a great one. The author can really paint a picture with his characters, who are very endearing. ( maybe not the bad guys) I would definitely read more of this guy. Generally I do crime/mystery as filler when I don't have other things to read, and this author gets a thumbs up from me.
Lani Duke
I enjoyed it thoroughly. Tanenbaum's books chronicling the adventures of the Karp family are well enough written that they can be read out of order with a sense of the characters being better explained and a little more loved each volume.
This was published in 2002 and is my first Tanenbaum "Karp family series". He writes well, there is a vast array of interesting characters, even the children and dogs. I will go back and read some of the earlier books.
Cori Mitchell
This is one of the most amazing authors I've ever read. I think they switched him, or he died or something, because his last few books are totally different than his first ones. V.C. Andrews scenerio.
Another thrilling episode in the adventures of Butch and Marlene, their three remarkable children, and their big black professional dogs. My favorite series, never disappoints.
The Butch Karp series never fails to please. Lots of action and great characters. I missed this one earlier, so it helped to fill in a couple of gaps.
  • Cress Delahanty
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
  • Emma Who Saved My Life
  • The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • Happy Days: Mencken's Autobiography: 1880-1892
  • Female Intelligence
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Combined Set
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • P.G. Wodehouse : Five Complete Novels (The Return of Jeeves, Bertie Wooster Sees It Through, Spring Fever, The Butler Did It, The Old Reliable)
  • The Golden Cup
  • Fountain of Age
  • Matisse the Master: The Conquest of Colour, 1909-1954
  • If They Only Knew
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Henry IV, Parts One and Two (No Fear Shakespeare)
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4) No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1) Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10) True Justice (Butch Karp, #12) Escape (Butch Karp, #20)

“...language is sacred. It has glory, even in ordinary speech. The way most people use it, it's like a winged horse pulling a junk wagon.” 3 likes