Start by marking “Riona (Fires of Gleannmara, #2)” as Want to Read:
Riona (Fires of Gleannmara, #2)

Riona (Fires of Gleannmara #2)

Kieran, the proud king of Gleannmara, great-grandson of Queen Maire and King Rowan, was once rejected by Riona of Dromin. But this time the willful lady will have no choice. Kieran promised his dying best friend, her brother, to protect Riona as her lord and husband. She must give up her absurd dedication to a fickle God who lets the good die while the vile go unpunished. ...more
Published September 15th 2001 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Riona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riona

Beka
Jan 26, 2017 Beka rated it really liked it
Riona is a wonderful continuation of the Fire of Gleanmara story. Once again the story is rife with interesting historical tidbits, and I feel like I learned a lot about Irish culture during the time period, and also how Christianity fit into that culture. It was interesting to read this story after Maire, so I can see how times have changed and Christianity has spread in several generations.

To be honest, I started out not really enjoying the book, so I sort of dragged it out. I found Riona to
Lovingkiwi
Jeni Enjaian
I absolutely loved this book.

There was just something about these characters (and the story even though I've read it multiple times and have the plot nearly memorized) that grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I did not want to put it down.

Once again, miracles are present in this story and even an angel who takes the form of an invisible friend. (That's not really a spoiler...it's sort of hinted/guessed at throughout the book.) Once again I saw nothing out of place with the use of the supernatural.
Salyna
Feb 18, 2013 Salyna rated it liked it
I love Linda Windsor's books. I always like the messages she has in her novel's and how she presents them. The characters in Riona are great and so realistic; with Kieran being so bull-headed when it comes to his belief in God and Riona's love for Kieran but being repulsed for the longest time at the thought/mention of marrying him.

I thought it was funny how anytime Riona was nice to Kieran he took that as pretty much her consent for marriage, and then she would get all mad and frusterated with
Gloria
Dec 03, 2013 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone; historical romance lovers; people who love stories about Ireland;
A few generations after Maire and Rowan's story, Kieran and Riona have their story.

The strings of conspiracy flow from beginning to end, at Kieran's battle and then at Riona's abbey. When Kieran is accused of murdering the abbot, the priests, Riona, and three orphan children help him escape and get to King Aidan and the council regarding bards.

On the journey, children are rescued, people are killed in fights, hurt, and saved from being killed. The conspiracy is eventually revealed and the parti
Rebecca
Apr 02, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Riona is the second book in the Fires of Gleannmara trilogy. When her brother Heber lays dying on the battlefield, her foster brother Kieran makes an oath to marry Riona to protect her. Riona of course wants nothing to do with Kieran, though she is clearly attracted to him. She has already decided to join the church. Add in three orphans that she has fallen in love with and a wrongful murder charge, and you've got a story that will keep you riveted to the last page.
Everything I have read by Lin
Briana
Dec 10, 2012 Briana rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were so real and I loved the journey of watching them grow! Kieran was so real, so utterly adorable, lovable and frustrating all at the same time. Neither he or Riona were cookie cutter characters. They and the orphans charmed me. The secondary characters were a joy rather than a chore. The adventure was fun and the story line intriguing. I loved everything about this book! That surprised me given I'm not really a fan of historical fiction. I'm so exc ...more
April
Jan 11, 2014 April rated it really liked it
Another delightful tale by Windsor! I have to admit that at first this story didn't quiet captivate me, as Book 1 did. However, further in the characters & story not only engaged me but had me chuckling at some points, grinning & clutching the book at others. Seeing as how I started it yesterday afternoon and stayed up to finish it last night (reading it not in one sitting but several), it obviously ended up making up for the slower start.

Windsor not only writes a good tale, but one pep
Rachel
Feb 15, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: almost-favorites
It took me even longer to get into this plot than that of the first novel of the trilogy, but then it eventually hooked me too, and I ended up liking it even better than Maire. I really enjoyed the character development in this historical Christian novel set in old Ireland.
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 04, 2013 Susan Snodgrass rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I read it years ago and loved it when I read it again recently. This is the second in the series, The Fires of Gleanmarra. They are set in the 6th, 7th and 8th centuries during Britain's early years. Told against the backdrop of paganism, fueding lords and romance, they are absolutely outstanding and Windsor writes them like no other.
Margaret Chind
The overall book was good, but there were a couple Biblical errors. Especially in talking about the washing of feet, names were given to people that did not have names in the Bible. Also, there was a section where they discovered a part that is important to the overall plot and it appears that part of the conversation is skipped and hard to follow.
Sharon Connell
Sep 07, 2014 Sharon Connell rated it really liked it
This book has a definite Roman Catholic slant with regards to the little bit of doctrine included in the story. However, I did enjoy the characters and the story line. It was difficult to get interested at the beginning, but once the story got going, it was a good read.
Kirsi Johnson
Apr 08, 2008 Kirsi Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodread
This is a Christian romance novel set in the Celtic world. Which of course for those of you who know me is a weakness. Good writing, plot moves forward. All in all, an enjoyable read.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)

This wasn't my favorite out of the series. Riona and Keiran weren't my favorite characters.
I'd say Marie was much better.
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2011
Marlene Rempel
Marlene Rempel rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Hana
Hana rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2011
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Chey Powell
Chey Powell rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
VAReckman
VAReckman rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2015
Audrey
Audrey rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2008
Ronya
Ronya rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Hanna Lewis
Hanna Lewis rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Ashley Nikole
Ashley Nikole rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2015
Celebrilomiel
Celebrilomiel rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2013
  • The Price of Freedom (Scottish Crown, #2)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Wings of Morning (These Highland Hills, #2)
  • The Scarlet Trefoil (Tahn Dorn #3)
  • Lions of the Desert (Egypt Trilogy #2)
  • The Emerald Isle (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #4)
  • The Lost Baron: A Story of England in the Year 1200
  • A Prisoner of Versailles (Darkness to Light, #2)
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
Linda Windsor is the best-selling, award-winning author of more than thirty novels, with more than a million books in print. Her most recent work includes Healer and Thief, the first two volumes in the Brides of Alba series, and the early Irish Celtic Fires of Gleannmara trilogy.
More about Linda Windsor...

Fires of Gleannmara (3 books)
  • Maire (Fires of Gleannmara, #1)
  • Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara, #3)

“I am not hysterical. I'm angry, you pompous toad!." Riona tore away.” 0 likes