Start by marking “Dog Loves Drawing” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Dog Loves Drawing

Louise Yates

Dog Loves Drawing (Dog Loves)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Dog loves books, but one day he receives a strange one in the mail—it's blank! Soon, Dog realizes that this book is not for reading, but for drawing. Before long, Dog is doodling and drawing himself into a new world, full of friends and surprises.
Published August 14th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Loves Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Loves Drawing

Charlotte Stevens
This is a lovely, witty story about Dog, who receives a sketch book from his Aunt Dora and begins to draw some wonderful images. He draws a door and enters onto the pages, drawing different characters to join in with his adventures. Dog and his new friends draw a train, a boat, lunch and decide to rest on the beach. They are having lovely adventures until Duck decided to draw a monster which chased Dog back out of the page and into his bookshop.
The book is extremely funny and I think it appeals
Kaethe
WE already knew thatDog Loves Books. So it won't come as much of a surprise when we see references to a whole slew of beloved children's books. There's some Harold and the Purple Crayon, some Where the Wild Things Are, some The Monster at the End of this Book. No doubt there are many more, but the book is at home, and these are all I can remember. It's a good book about drawing, and creativity, and it's beautifully done: I went back through it again to skip the text and just appreciate the diffe ...more
Myrza
The artist’s choice for bright colors grabs your attention in ““Dog Loves Drawing” by Louise Yates author and illustrator. Each color pencil drawing continued the story further and further. The childlike drawings give it a great touch; since the dog and his friends are suppose to be the ones drawing. The first drawings started really basic as if to suggest that the dog did not really now how to draw as hinted in the reading. The illustrations show lots of doodling (tally marks, circles, stars, h ...more
Mary
The dog from Dog Loves Books returns in this new book. Dog receives a book from his Aunt Dora, but discovers that there are no words or pictures in it. Accompanying the gift is a note from his aunt stating, "May the lines you draw open a door to some wonderful adventures." Dog gets out his drawing tools and the first thing he draws is a door. From there he draws some companions who help dog draw some fun adventures. I'm already thinking of some ideas for a storytime using this as one of the book ...more
The Library Lady
Hmm...wonder if Dog has a copy of Harold and the Purple Crayon at that bookstore of his....
Melanie
Dog loves books but he also loves drawing. When his aunt sends him a blank book Dog pulls out all of his crayons and colored pencils and gets to work. First he draws a door and goes through it. Then he draws a stick man to have someone to play with. Dog and the stick man doodle for awhile until they begin to draw other characters to have fun with. But things get out of hand when a duck decides to draw a monster. Dog quickly draws a door to get out. When he looks back at the book he is reassured ...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He likes dogs and drawing.

I like this idea of this book. I just don't think it was executed well. For one thing, this book is too long -- it meanders. It is actually two books cobbled together, and not cleanly grafted.

For a better book about creative dogs, there is My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius. For a better book about the power of the imagination and a crayon in someone's hand, there is the classic, Harold and the Purple Crayo
Alison
I love Dog!

We first met Dog when he loved books so much he opened up a bookstore in Dog Loves Books, which has become one of my staple book-gifts for children. In Louise Yates's new book, Dog receives a new book, a gift from his Aunt, but this one is blank!

Dog starts out with simple doodles, but soon enough the creative juices are flowing and he and his friends go on a journey reminiscent of Harold and the Purple Crayon. Dog had so much fun drawing and creating his own book, he even drew a spec
Tasha
The charming dog from Dog Loves Books returns in this second story. When dog receives a blank book in the mail, he’s not sure what to do with it. Then he sees the note from his Aunt Dora that told him it was a sketchbook and wished him wonderful adventures. The first thing that Dog drew was a door, he walked through it and then drew a stickman and a duck. The duck drew an owl and the owl drew a crab. Then everyone started drawing until they wondered what else to do. Dog then drew a train and the ...more
Carly
Dog Loves Drawing is such a funny little book, full of adventure, packed with silliness and not forgetting friendships! The storyline is brilliant, it is fast paced and lets little ones imaginations run wild. The amazing little illustrations will keep you highly entertained throughout. My daughter is a little artist, so she loved watching Dog's little doodles come to life when he stepped into the page. The authors writing is great, very engaging and extremely exciting. Dog Loves Drawing is a rea ...more
Matthew
I love Louise Yates books about what Dog loves. Dog Loves Books was wonderful. I was expecting Dog Loves Drawing to not quite hit the mark but it exceeded my expectations. There were moments in the book where you really needed to grasp onto your imagination to have the theme continue without fully falling into the absurd but the illustrations help pull you through those moments. Great book.
Sharon Lawler
Dog starts drawing pictures in a blank book he has received from Aunt Dora, and off way he goes on an adventure with friends stickman, crab, duck, and owl! Anything needed for the story is drawn into the book, until the end, when dog writes a thank you note to Aunt Dora, and decides to dash out to buy more paper.
Dolly
Oct 05, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We read Dog Loves Books and I loved that Dog could become so engrossed in the books he read. So when we saw this book available at our local library, I just knew our girls would love it, since they love to draw.

This is a fun tale that depicts Dog, once again, becoming completely immersed in his activity, this time drawing. The story is fun and the illustrations are colorful and really complement the story nicely.

We really enjoyed reading this book together and we'll look for more books by Loui
Ina
The Dog who loves books is back. When Aunt Dora sends him a gift of a blank book for drawing, he creates animal friends to play games with, and then a train and a boat to take them places. The illustrations are bright and child like and the text is simple and fun to read aloud.
Julie
This book reminded me of Riley and Rose In the Picture by Susanna Getz. Animal characters draw on the pages of the book, creating their own adventure in the process. It's a lovely concept that hopefully inspires children to pick up their pencils and go for it themselves.
Karen Lane
I found this by accident at the library when the book I was looking for was missing and this was there instead. Both kids loved it and had me read it 3 times in a row. Super cute picture book for kids.
Angie
Oh ... Dog is back. And he gets to go on a fun adventure!

This could be a fun introduction to "writing" for little ones who don't quite have the letter formation/spelling/handwriting skills to express the stories their heads can create. They may not be able to write the word "train" but they can try drawing one. Practice expressing their stories whatever way they can express them will give them the confidence and skills to transfer over to writing when the time comes.

The book could also be used
Kate
This isn't a review for the fact that unlike Cinderella skeleton or zombie love this one isn't "geared" toward any reason for me to review it(beautiful art, cute details ect). But I had to comment on this. This book brought on some nostalgia for me See growing up I had a box set of books one of those books was " Mouse's magic paints: A first book for colors" (I was three or four at the time this book has a similar feel the artwork of Dog and his surroundings was well done and I loved the colorfu ...more
Treasure
Picture books starring dogs are always a good idea, and this one is lovely. Dog loves to read (he even owns a book shop!) and when he receives the gift of a drawing pad, he quickly fills the pages with friends and they head off to adventures that spill all over the pages and practically right out of the book. Dog saves them all from a monster by drawing a door and then drawing locks to keep the monster out.
A great story for kids who love to draw and a fun story for adults to share with kids. Ad
Emilie
My 7 yr old daughter and I really enjoyed this book. The story was fun and engaging and the illustrations were awesome.
Carol
This is "Harold and the Purple Crayon" for the picture book set. I's well conceived, executed, and engaging.
Rachel
Dog loves reading and books, which is why he opened his own bookshop. One day his aunt sends him a blank book to draw in, so he starts creating a fantastical adventure with some new friends. This was a cute follow-up to "Dog Loves Books," which I adored. Recommended for ages 3-6, 4 stars.
Mckinley
Dog who loves to read is sent a blank book by his aunt and fills it with his drawings and story.
Charity Limerance
Yates should do more "Dog Loves"
Bridget R. Wilson
Dog of Dog Loves Books is back. He still loves books, but one day his aunt Dora sends him a present, a sketchbook. Dog soon discovers another love--drawing.

What I thought: Another hit from Louise Yates. Dog is still lovable. The adventures he takes with his new sketchbook are so imaginative. I think Dog Loves Drawing will encourage children to go on drawing adventures of their own. All the illustrations are great. I can't pick a favorite.

Story Time Themes: Dogs, Art
NayDoubleU
I love this book and the imagination behind it. great!
Shelli
Dog Loves Drawing is an imaginative and fun read about Dog who becomes immersed in his sketchbook, stepping into another world as he draws. The illustrations are simple yet adorable. Lousie Yates created three dimensional characters within a one dimensional landscape. This would be a fantastic read aloud to share with your kiddo or a classroom full of them. Children will be racing to grab their own paper and pencils and start creating. Loved it!
Ann
What happens when dog opens up a package from Aunt Dora? Given a splendid sketchbook, pens, pencils, brushes-tools to open up a new door Dog draws a stickman who was so much fun, he draws a duck. Duck drawls owl, owl draws crab and soon they are off on adventures riding on a train, rowing on a boat and eating drawn lunches. However, a drawn paradise island isn't what it's drawn out to be, especially when an unexpected guest materializes.
Nanci Booher
Such a fun story to read. I'm pretty sure that it would work for story time and I also think that small groups of kid would have reading this together.
  • Another Brother

Dog Loves (4 books)
  • Dog Loves Books
  • Dog Loves Counting
  • Dog Loves Fairy Tales
Dog Loves Books Dog Loves Counting A Small Surprise Frank and Teddy Make Friends. by Louise Yates Dog Loves Fairy Tales