Start by marking “I Am Snowing: The Confessions Of A Woman of Prague” as Want to Read:
I Am Snowing: The Confessions Of A Woman of Prague

I Am Snowing: The Confessions Of A Woman of Prague

This picaresque story, set in modern-day Prague, is an "invariably lively, often funny" (Washington Post) portrait of a nation in transition, a stylish combination of political allegory and whodunit. Translated by Neil Bermel. Harvest in Translation series
Published July 14th 1995 by Mariner Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Snowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Snowing

Czarny Pies
Oct 09, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one. Better books on the topic are available in English .
Recommended to Czarny by: Jaromir Jagr
Shelves: czech-lit
I am Snowing: The Confessions of Prague addresses a major issue of those who had the experience of first having lived in a communist country where police informers were everywhere and then experienced the ghastly process of seeing the the informers denounced later in an irregular fashion that depended on the advantages being pursued by those who acquired control of the police archives afterwards. Unfortunately , Pavel Kohout's "I am Snowing" steadily degenerates into a tedious bore that fails to ...more
Troy
Jan 24, 2014 Troy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
So this is basically a detective noir written from the point of view of the femme fatale, but a femme fatale who's middle aged. And it's more of a mad cap detective story, whose absurdity lessens the noir aspects, and whose slice of life characteristics downplay the detective story.

Anyway, Petra is our heroine, and she's a sharp and uncompromising fading beauty with a trail of lovers, and one true love, who reemerge into her present.

Communist Czechoslovakia has just fallen, but the new regime,
Thomas
Feb 21, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it
An intriguing mystery story set in Prague about a single mother and the identities of her two ex-lovers, with a sideshow from the daughter and her boyfriend. The narrator has a somehow very original voice, brash and self-confident, almost vulgar. The men are shadows in comparison, all wrapped up in various, often confusing political intrigues concerning the Russian occupation and independence. The ending is a little loose, the car accident serving to avoid some explanation, but this is an ...more
Dymbula
Jul 29, 2015 Dymbula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Velké zklamání. Stále nemůžu uvěřit, že román napsal můj oblíbený spisovatel. Přečetl jsem to s vypětím všech sil, trápily mě závorky ve větách - byly skoro v každé větě - pravda, trošku přeháním, ale závorkama se stal příběh nepřehledný a čtení únavné. Bohužel, až pár vět v doslovu to byl zase starý dobrý Pavel Kohout.
Libby
Jan 23, 2008 Libby rated it really liked it
Again, my foggy/forgetful brain in regards to historical/political events was a hindrance here! However, the writing is so evocative, and the characters are so rich and alive, I really liked this book. It probably offers many more levels of meaning for more politically-inclined people...

I selected this book off the shelf at the main library in Manhattan, because I liked the title.
Lucie Novak
Oct 09, 2014 Lucie Novak rated it liked it
It was all right. It is a bit strange reading a Czech author in English. I also disliked the man Pavel Kohout, and that made me biased. He seemed a hypocritical pragmatist,dishonest.
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Lukas Stejskal
Lukas Stejskal rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Jitka
Jitka rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2010
CK
CK rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2008
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Steven Felicelli
Steven Felicelli rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2009
Kimberly Sullivan
Kimberly Sullivan rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
allisonfm
allisonfm rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2008
Keith
Keith rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2007
Tress Huntley
Tress Huntley rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Braianus Loquax
Braianus Loquax rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Marilena Kilanioti
Marilena Kilanioti rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Dan Edwards
Dan Edwards rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Greta
Greta rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Larry Francis
Larry Francis rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2015
Kostas Papalios
Kostas Papalios rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2012
Elissa
Elissa rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Φιλιπ
Φιλιπ rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Jana
Jana rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014