Start by marking “Death and Justice” as Want to Read:
Death and Justice

Death and Justice

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Controversy rages about capital punishment as innocent men and women are being released from death rows all over the country. Are innocent people being executed? Is capital punishment justice or is it revenge?

Into the debate steps Mark Fuhrman, America's most famous detective, and no stranger to controversy himself.

Fuhrman seeks to answer these questions by investigating
Published September 28th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Death and Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death and Justice

booklady
First read this right after it came out in 2003. Just read it again as we (Oklahoma) executed another soul this week. Although the Macy-Gilchrist machine described in this book are long defunct, regretfully the death penalty in OK is alive and well, poor pun intended. Don't get me wrong, I am not soft on crime, not in the least. As the author's eleven year old daughter said about Timothy McVeigh's execution, “They shouldn't have killed him. They should have left in him jail for the rest of his l ...more
Jay Keys
Jul 10, 2007 Jay Keys rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Opponents of the death penalty.
Before you say anything, I know...hi, everyone, it's Mark Fuhrman, racist cop from the mid 1990s. Ugh.

Anyway, this book provides a good glimpse into the process, failures and weaknesses in the way the death penalty is handled in the United States. Fuhrman knows his stuff, no doubt.

It's great fire for opponents of the death penalty, which is suprising, because in the beginning of the novel Fuhrman is hawkish and pro-death penalty. However, as his research into how the Oklahoma County (OK) DA's of
Jerry Smith
Had no idea Fuhrman was doing this now - quite the career change. Actually his writing, whilst straightforward prose, isn't bad and he is well placed to offer a persepctive as a former cop.

i read this after reading Innocent Man by Grisham, whose writing is more fluent and it seems that, whatever you think about the death penalty, the process in OK leaves (or left) quite a bit to be desired.

It is interesting to read Fuhrman's take as a pro-death penalty advocate, at least when he set out. Statem
Amanda
I could not stop reading this once I began, for a number of reasons. I'm against the death penalty, and I found much of what was described to be horrifying and upsetting. And more personally, I moved to Oklahoma City, the topic of the book, about a year and a half ago.

But even more personally, I know some of the people discussed, not on a personal level, but on a professional one. I talk to them, when I see them, even if it's just a greeting. The events detailed occurred 10-30 years ago, and the
Steven
An investigation into justice system abuses and mistakes by an Oklahoma City DA and criminologist. Although decently written, well analyzed, and thought provoking, I didn't think the arguments concerning the death penalty were stated as cogently as they could have been. Also, I think a more thorough characterization of the the criminologist, and, to a lesser extent, the DA would have added to the story.
Debra
Subtitled "An expose of Oklahoma's death row machine", the book exposes the empire of Bob Macy and Joyce Gilchrist and their desire to get a "win" at all costs--sending innocent people to prison and even death row in Oklahoma.
Nina
I had to read this for a crime and punishment class. For being a racist sleezeball he is a good writer and it is a good book. So good it changed my perspective and view on the death penalty.
Sean Hopkins
It is difficult to imagine anyone supporting death penalty after reading this book.
Julie Gulliford
Julie Gulliford marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Britnie
Britnie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kristina Riederer
Kristina Riederer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Michy
Michy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Bernhard T
Bernhard T marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Vignesh
Vignesh marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Murder in Greenwich Murder In Brentwood Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death Murder In Spokane The Murder Business: High Profile Crimes and the Corruption of Justice