Start by marking “Knitting in Circles: 100 Circular Patterns for Sweaters, Bags, Hats, Afghans, and More” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Knitting in Circles: 1...

Nicky Epstein

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  11 reviews
You won’t believe what you can make with knitted circles!

One circle can become a stylish hat or an adorable shrug. Two, and you have a unique handbag or cover-up. Knit more circles, and you can make show-stopping scarves, capes, sweaters, afghans—even a stunning lace dress.

Only Nicky Epstein, always on the cutting edge of knitwear design, could dream up these innovativ
Published August 21st 2012 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting in Circles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting in Circles

Polly
Visually stunning circles, but very impractical applications. I admire the technical skill required to make these pieces, but they are not my cup of tea.

The only wearable item I would make and wear personally is the hemisphere shrug (pg. 181). Brunhilda's whirl (pg. 190) is also intriguing, but I would make it for my girls.

If I had the time, I might turn a few of the circles into a pillow. A very beautiful pillow I would hide from my dog, cat and kids.

Still I wouldn't mind having this book as
Jaq
Wow, Wow, Wow.

This is an incredible knitting book - I was blown away by the innovation of the circle. Epstein has managed to reinvent how I look at the possibility that is inherent in knitting. I loved this book so much that I've had to go out and purchase it, it is THAT good.

What I love is how ingenuous this book is, it takes relatively simple ideas for projects and turns them upside down by making them out of the most glorious patterns I've seen in a long while.

Fantastic, cannot recommend this
Sara
Like all of Nicky Epstein books, the patterns in here are fabulous. Hard to understand how much she accomplishes! Beautiful circular ideas - but I gotta say that I don't think I'd ever knit these. The clothing looks uncomfortable and odd. The afghans look too detailed and annoying to knit! Love the inspiration, and the circular celtic designs. Glad to know this book is at the library, but I don't need it in my home.
Kathleen Dixon
I really like the way this book is presented - it almost makes we want to take up my knitting needles again for a while and let the crochet hooks languish.

What I don't like about this book are the garments that these wonderful circles are made up into, so despite loving the circles I'm left with no ideas on what to do with them. I guess the knitting needles will be waiting a while longer.
Kate
There is not actually much to read in a knitting book. The appeal is in new techniques that one can apply to inventions in design. This one is good for that with lots of old ideas presented freshly and more clearly than usual. This book is great for the tops of hats and berets; how does your circle grow and look good while growing? Epstein shows you how. It is beautifully done.
Ashleigh
A beautiful book filled with lovely patterns. I can't wait to use some of these as samples for my textiles degree. It makes such a nice change knitting in the round and the book is filled with huge beautiful photo's! I look forward to buying this authors block by block knitting book too.
Steph.
This lady amazes me on all the creativity she has. I have read most of her knitting books and they have many designs, techniques in them for all. Although you do need to have a knitting background for some of them but it wasn't a problem to grab a basic techniques book. Enjoy knitting.
Annie
I was hoping that this would be a book about knitting in the round but it was actually about knitting actual circles. Beautiful patterns but not what I was looking for and the patterns were far too difficult for me. Advanced knitters only!!
Lil' Grogan
Argh....the cheating with the i-cord for cables again! I always get drawn in, only to be kicked.
Nothing too interesting in the circles available, and some ...umm...interesting garments which could test your bravery.
lk
Interesting book if you'd like to knit with circles; good book for circular patterns.
Cayenne
Epstein is brilliant.
Sirene Jolie
Sirene Jolie marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Brenda Shea
Brenda Shea is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Stacy Horton
Stacy Horton marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Julia Sakaridou
Julia Sakaridou marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Wafa
Wafa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Cheryl D DeMunbrun
Cheryl D DeMunbrun is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nicky Epstein is a knitting designer and author of numerous books on knitting. She is known for her creative combinations of knitting stitches, and for the colorful patterns often found in her sweaters, especially involving applique of separately knitted motifs.[1] In 2005, she was given a prestigious award by the National NeedleArts Association. In 2006, her work was featured in a retrospective f ...more
More about Nicky Epstein...
Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Color, Eclectic- The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders Knitting Beyond the Edge: Cuffs and Collars*Necklines*Hems*Closures - The Essential Collection of Decorative Finishes Nicky Epstein's Knitted Flowers Knitting Block by Block: 150 Blocks for Sweaters, Scarves, Bags, Toys, Afghans, and More