Start by marking “Knitting in Circles: 100 Circular Patterns for Sweaters, Bags, Hats, Afghans, and More” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Knitting in Circles: 1...

Nicky Epstein

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
You won’t believe what you can make with knitted circles!

One circle can become a stylish hat or an adorable shrug. Two, and you have a unique handbag or cover-up. Knit more circles, and you can make show-stopping scarves, capes, sweaters, afghans—even a stunning lace dress.

Only Nicky Epstein, always on the cutting edge of knitwear design, could dream up these innovativ
Published August 21st 2012 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting in Circles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting in Circles

S.
Oct 21, 2015 S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicky Epstein has done it again! I say that every time I open one of her amazing books!

This is the fourth book I own written by Nicky Epstein and I have to say, each one is more spectacular than the next. Although this is not a newly released book, I snatched it up when I saw it offered at a great price.

As a seasoned knitter (experienced level) and crocheter (intermediate level) , and a fan of all crafts in general (sewing, quilting, cross-stitch, jewelry making, polymer clay fanatic, etc.) , I
Polly
Jul 03, 2014 Polly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Visually stunning circles, but very impractical applications. I admire the technical skill required to make these pieces, but they are not my cup of tea.

The only wearable item I would make and wear personally is the hemisphere shrug (pg. 181). Brunhilda's whirl (pg. 190) is also intriguing, but I would make it for my girls.

If I had the time, I might turn a few of the circles into a pillow. A very beautiful pillow I would hide from my dog, cat and kids.

Still I wouldn't mind having this book as
Jaq
Sep 03, 2014 Jaq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow, Wow, Wow.

This is an incredible knitting book - I was blown away by the innovation of the circle. Epstein has managed to reinvent how I look at the possibility that is inherent in knitting. I loved this book so much that I've had to go out and purchase it, it is THAT good.

What I love is how ingenuous this book is, it takes relatively simple ideas for projects and turns them upside down by making them out of the most glorious patterns I've seen in a long while.

Fantastic, cannot recommend this
Anne
Sep 09, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
100 circles from easy to harder than I want, with 20 patterns made from them. As thorough & detailed as one expects from Epstein.
Mckinley
Interesting but I'm not going to knit any of these. Stitch patterns.
Sage
But this book for the medallion patterns.

Eternity Dress
Sara
Oct 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-library
Like all of Nicky Epstein books, the patterns in here are fabulous. Hard to understand how much she accomplishes! Beautiful circular ideas - but I gotta say that I don't think I'd ever knit these. The clothing looks uncomfortable and odd. The afghans look too detailed and annoying to knit! Love the inspiration, and the circular celtic designs. Glad to know this book is at the library, but I don't need it in my home.
Kathleen Dixon
Nov 21, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
I really like the way this book is presented - it almost makes we want to take up my knitting needles again for a while and let the crochet hooks languish.

What I don't like about this book are the garments that these wonderful circles are made up into, so despite loving the circles I'm left with no ideas on what to do with them. I guess the knitting needles will be waiting a while longer.
Kate
Nov 28, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is not actually much to read in a knitting book. The appeal is in new techniques that one can apply to inventions in design. This one is good for that with lots of old ideas presented freshly and more clearly than usual. This book is great for the tops of hats and berets; how does your circle grow and look good while growing? Epstein shows you how. It is beautifully done.
Ashleigh
A beautiful book filled with lovely patterns. I can't wait to use some of these as samples for my textiles degree. It makes such a nice change knitting in the round and the book is filled with huge beautiful photo's! I look forward to buying this authors block by block knitting book too.
Steph.
Dec 10, 2012 Steph. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This lady amazes me on all the creativity she has. I have read most of her knitting books and they have many designs, techniques in them for all. Although you do need to have a knitting background for some of them but it wasn't a problem to grab a basic techniques book. Enjoy knitting.
Annie
I was hoping that this would be a book about knitting in the round but it was actually about knitting actual circles. Beautiful patterns but not what I was looking for and the patterns were far too difficult for me. Advanced knitters only!!
Lil' Grogan
Mar 30, 2013 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: handmade
Argh....the cheating with the i-cord for cables again! I always get drawn in, only to be kicked.
Nothing too interesting in the circles available, and some ...umm...interesting garments which could test your bravery.
lk
Interesting book if you'd like to knit with circles; good book for circular patterns.
Cayenne
Sep 08, 2012 Cayenne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epstein is brilliant.
Sharon
Sharon  rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Claudia A. CHase
Claudia A. CHase is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2016
Gaylene Summers
Gaylene Summers marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Zeb
Zeb rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Victor Canfield
Victor Canfield marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Sarah added it
Jul 18, 2016
Kristy Morrill
Kristy Morrill is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
JL
JL rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Sheila Stevens
Sheila Stevens rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Rebekka Steg
Rebekka Steg rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Anne S Anderson
Anne S Anderson rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Ann Mayberry
Ann Mayberry rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nicky Epstein is a knitting designer and author of numerous books on knitting. She is known for her creative combinations of knitting stitches, and for the colorful patterns often found in her sweaters, especially involving applique of separately knitted motifs.[1] In 2005, she was given a prestigious award by the National NeedleArts Association. In 2006, her work was featured in a retrospective f ...more
More about Nicky Epstein...