Start by marking “Billy Hooten, Owlboy (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Billy Hooten, Owlboy (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #1)

Billy Hooten, Owlboy (Billy Hooten, Owlboy #1)

Billy Hooten is a weird kid. He gets beat up a lot, and spends the rest of his time doggedly trying to build a robot. One day, Billy Hooten hears a cry for help coming from the cemetery that borders his backyard. Against his better judgment, he runs toward it. And after that, everything changes for Billy Hooten. Because Billy Hooten, you see, is Owlboy. A quickthinking, go ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by Yearling

To ask other readers questions about Billy Hooten, Owlboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billy Hooten, Owlboy

Terri
Aug 05, 2008 Terri rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades 3-6 and comic book fans
Ever wished you could be a superhero or dreamed of what you would do if you just had the power and ability? Meet Billy Hooten, bully victim and comic book addict. Billy loves comic books of brave superheroes who crush evil beneath their feet but never imagines he could become one. But a whole new world of possibilities opens to him when he responds to a cry for help inside a mausoleum in the cemetery beside his home. Billy cleverly outwits the creature that is threatening Archebold, the goblin i ...more
Tony Keefer
I am a acidity for super hero stories, so naturally I loved this one. Billy Hooten is your stereotypical middle school, slightly nerdy guy until he stumbles into a secret entrance to an entire world that lives beneath us. The city of Monstros has been overwhelmed by a crime wive and one of it's fine upstanding mister citizens convinces Billy he has the stuff to become the next Owlboy, defender of good in Monstros.

After some convincing Billy decides he can do the job and while he is in Monsros he
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Billy Hooten: Owlboy is a fun book that I highly enjoyed. Hey, maybe I am a little weird too, but I have always wanted to be a superhero and used to read a lot of superhero comic books, like The Fantastic Four and Superman. What young boy doesn't want to be a superhero? None, I can tell you.

Billy Hooten has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that many of us would love to have: to save the innocent and take down the bad guys. Wow! As for Thomas E. Sniegoski's writing, it is wonderfully-paced and th
Donna
May 08, 2009 Donna rated it liked it
More of a 3.5
Billy is a young boy who likes comics. One day, he stumbles into a goblin being chased by a pig monster. He manages to save the goblin. The goblin tells him he is really a superhero called Owlboy who fights evil in the city of Monstros which is located under his town of Bradford. He doesn't accept this but is sent home with a comic book on the legendary Owlboy and soon a superhero suit arrives. Against his better judgement, Billy is drawn into becoming Owlboy.
Written for children
Nick
May 07, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it
Tom Sniegoski, who is a very good comic book writer, has turned in a very good novel about a very strange superhero.
Billy Hooten is a typical young nerd, picked on by the school bullies and hanging out with friends who are equally eccentric. Then, he hears a cry for help...
The ensuing "hero quest" is one of the oddest in the history of archetypes. The book suffers slightly from "first book in a series" syndrome, which is the only thing which kept me from giving it five stars.
I can recommend this
Seth Snyder
Billy Hooten is a very odd kid he loves comics and spends his spare time building robots. Billy being such a fan of comic book heroes and a bully magnet, hears a cry for help in the cometary behind his house with instinct he goes to see what is going on inside the mausoleum. Billy scares the goblin that is threatening Archibold's life. Billy is distend to be the new Owlboy to protect Monstros City the city that is made up of evil non-human creatures.
Duane
Jan 31, 2009 Duane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a challenge for me to finish. It's not because it's bad writing, it just simply seemed to drag on to make it's story line. The characters in the book are great and very well written, it just seems the author drags the storyline along at a snail's pace and for young readers, that can be dangerous territory. I'm glad I finished the book because it is a good book, but I don't think young readers will and therefore I can't really recommend this book.
Regina
Jul 24, 2009 Regina rated it did not like it
Recommended to Regina by: 2010 Children's Sequoyah Masterlist
This was not my type of book. Perhaps kids who are fans of comic books will like it. It's on the 2010 Children's Sequoyah List for Oklahoma, and I'm trying to read as many of them as I can. I think it might be better as a graphic novel. I'm glad it had some illustrations, but once Billy went down to Monstros City and started training as Owlboy, I lost interest.
Doris
Aug 25, 2015 Doris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, comics
This marvelous book introduces a boy who seems to always be in trouble, and never knows how to do things right or make things right. He lives for his comic books and tries to keep under the radar of the school bullies, but meets his fate in a goblin that our little hero, Billy Hooten, rescues. A great and fun read for children of all ages.
"Skippy"
Jul 10, 2011 "Skippy" marked it as to-read
I picked this up last year (2010), somewhere around november. All I remember about it is that i could really identify with the main character. I'm not saying that I too was an eccentric child who enjoys building robots and turned into a superhero, but I love the unique quirks that he has. I'll pick this book up again and see how I like it.
Cara
Jan 10, 2010 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story about a boy who is slowly becoming a super hero. There was some humor which made the story go a little faster. The illustrations drove me crazy. They didn't really match the story if you paid attention.
Stacy Ford
May 02, 2011 Stacy Ford rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-boy
Billy Hooten is the archetypal bullied kid. Then he discovers a gateway to a city filled with monsters. There he finds that he is not just a bullied kid, but a generational superhero known as Owlboy.
Jacqueline
Jun 14, 2008 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Recommended to Jacqueline by: elementary age boys
Good, clean fun. Billy Hooten was a lovable, reluctant hero. Many funny moments. I think young boys will really enjoy this book
John M. Kivlin
Pretty good

It was good. wasn't what I was looking for, but overall, good. You should read it if you like superheroes, especially bat man.
Ratforcekids
Oct 08, 2012 Ratforcekids rated it really liked it
Jump into a fun and fast-paced story in Billy Hooten, Owlboy. It features a boy who loves comics and soon discovers his own superhero destiny.
Tara Hixon
Elementary. Comic book fantasies of an average boy. Very imaginative and fun.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 06, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it liked it
Fun, light, and sure to be popular with the comic loving kids at my school.
Ratforce
Awesomeaction
Nov 06, 2012 Awesomeaction rated it really liked it
If you like comics just pick it up and read it
Mr. George
May 23, 2011 Mr. George rated it it was ok
it is....alright:( it tries really hard to be alot of things.....superhero book, fantasy, sci fi....what is it?
Kevin Halter
Kevin Halter rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2010
Jessalynn Mccoin
Jessalynn Mccoin rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Noel Arndt Caryl
Noel Arndt Caryl rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2011
CP
CP rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2010
CrazyReader
CrazyReader rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Darla
Darla rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2009
Tessanna
Tessanna rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Attack of the Tagger (Shredderman, #2)
  • The Last Musketeer (The Last Musketeer, #1)
  • The Relic Hunters (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #2)
  • My Life: The Musical
  • The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth
  • Guys Write for Guys Read
  • As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!
  • A Dog Called Grk (Grk, #1)
  • Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 (The Softwire #3)
  • The Great Powers Outage (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #3)
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • A Million Dots
  • The Trap (The Magnificent 12, #2)
  • Confessions of the Other Mother: Nonbiological Lesbian Moms Tell All!
  • The Hope Chest
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
THOMAS E. SNIEGOSKI is the author of more than two dozen novels for adults, teens, and children. His teen fantasy YA series Fallen was adapted into a trilogy of monstrously successful TV movies by ABC Family Channel. His other books for teens include Sleeper Code, Sleeper Agenda, and Force Majeure, as well as the upcoming series The Brimstone Network. The author's first adult novel, A Kiss Before ...more
More about Thomas E. Sniegoski...

Billy Hooten, Owlboy (4 books)
  • The Girl with the Destructo Touch (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #2)
  • Tremble at the Terror of Zis-Boom-Bah (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #3)
  • The Flock of Fury (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #4)