Start by marking “Gospel Truths” as Want to Read:
Gospel Truths

Gospel Truths

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
They have been drawn into a plot more insidious than anything they could have imagined—a battle to control one of religion’s greatest secrets. For English detective Nigel Lyman, it begins with the suspicious suicide of a corrupt Italian banker in London. For French-born Mariane Soury-Fontaine, it starts with the mysterious disappearance of her lover. And for American mathe...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Bantam (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Gospel Truths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel Truths

Ben W.
A fascinating religious thriller, which preceded Da Vinci Code by a decade, apparently. Involves the search for a lost gnostic gospel, the Gospel of Thomas, whose discovery would undermine the Church. Features a haunted City of London Police Inspector, a brilliant American mathematician, the head of the Vatican Bank, and members of the ultra-secret pseudo-Masonic loge, the I4.

Fascinating and well-written, it's what the genre should be -- an intellectual, as well as a visceral thrill.

HIGHLY RECOM...more
Mick
Overall the book was good. I liked the story, but the writing was a little uneven at times. Sometimes it really kept me reading, and other times it seemed to slow down too much.
Regan
I was disappointed in this book. It was recommended to me because I liked "The Davinci Code". The plot sounded promising, but it was a little slow.
Jared Della Rocca
In Gospel Truths, J.G. Sandom can't really decide what type of book he wants to write. At times throughout the book, he dabbles in Dan Brown-style historical fiction, weaving in conspiracies about the Gospel of Thomas (not to be confused with the Book of Thomas, which is also mentioned repeatedly in the book) and its threat to the Church; then Sandom tries to bring in a love story between two side characters who may or may not have met before, I was confused on that point; Sandom also wants to m...more
Speesh
This isnot your run-of-the-mill religious, historical, chase, search, code-breaking, discovery of some ancient artefact that proves Christianity is based on a myth or alie, type ofthriller. It's quitea step up from that.
Passages reminded me of books I've readby Alan Furst or Olen Steinhauer. The introspection, the uncertainty, the slightly tainted or regretted past, the feeling I got of the main characterjust being along for the ride in certain sections ofhis orher ownlife.
Gospel Truths is writt...more
Linda
English detective Nigel Lyman, once the golden boy of the department, is now reeling in the aftermath of personal and professional losses. It comes as a surprise, therefore, when he's selected to head up an investigation of a death that originally was classified as a suicide. At first, the case seems like insignificant "busy work", but Lyman soon discovers that it's anything but. At its heart is the legendary Q document, supposed to be the original work upon which the New Testament gospels were...more
Harry
A London Police Inspector on the downward spiral is assigned to reopen a hanging. Along the way he encounters notorious financiers, Italian gangsters and the Vatican Bank. As with anything involving the Catholic Church, you don’t know how far the conspiracy goes, this makes for a good and compelling theory.
Simon Lee
Don't know why this was rated so highly. You don't feel for the main characters in this book and you don't hate the villains. There's a follow up book but I doubt I will read it. Other authors such as Chris Kuzneski make for a better religious conspiracy novel.
Jody
I felt this book was slow to start and the converging story lines needed a little more "explanation" to them for a smoother the transition. But I thought the book was enjoyable and worth the time to read. I will be reading the sequel.
Dhruvc
Sandom has tried to create something akin to the Da Vinci Code in this book of his, but, unfortunately has failed.
The story takes a lot of time to converge and really urges the reader to put it down at every point.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kenndra Cortright
Kenndra Cortright marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Donna Fowler
Donna Fowler marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
William Debruin
William Debruin marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Lawrence
Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Sheryl
Sheryl added it
Jul 29, 2013
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J. G. Sandom, often referred to as the "Father of Interactive (Internet) Advertising," co-founded the world's first interactive advertising agency, Einstein and Sandom Interactive (EASI), in 1984, before launching an award-winning writing career. He is the author of nine works of fiction, including THE GOD MACHINE; GOSPEL TRUTHS; THE WALL STREET MURDER CLUB; THE WAVE - A JOHN DECKER THRILLER; KISS...more
More about J.G. Sandom...
The God Machine Kiss Me, I'm Dead Confessions of a Teenage Body Snatcher The Wave After the Great Muskie Hunt