The Waters of Star Lake

The Waters of Star Lake

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Newly widowed Natalie Waters expects only nostalgia and solitude at her quiet, rustic cabin. But the wilderness conceals more than one perilous mystery. Where in Wisconsin's Northwoods did the notorious gangster John Dillinger hide $210,000 following a violent FBI shootout? And why do the local timberwolves incite so much rage among Natalie's neighbors?
As predators circle...more
Published July 12th 2012 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Waters of Star Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waters of Star Lake

Kathy
A wonderful story set in Northern Wisconsin close to where I live. There's even a little John Dillenger mystery tucked into it. Lots of information on the wolf packs that roam the northern area too.
Central character is a 60ish widow from Madison who comes to spend the summer at her family's old cabin on Star Lake. Her son dumps his 14 year old problem daughter with her so he and his wife can head off to Europe. How the two resolve their differences and change over the course of the summer adds t...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

Taking place in the great Northwoods of Wisconsin, this story focuses on 60-something widow Talie Waters, looking to escape her bustling Madison life for the quiet solitude of her family's rustic, lake-side cabin. Over the course of the summer, she is faced with many challenges to her quest of peace. First there is the danger of the area wolf packs roaming the land surrounding the cabin. This brings forth interest from both a respected wolf biologist and an area wolf hunter. Next she is challeng

Terri Jacobson
What began as a "have-to" read for a challenge became a real delight. This novel takes place in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, and tells the story of Tailie Waters. She is newly widowed, and is returning to a primitive family cabin in the Northwoods for the first time without her husband. She spends an adventurous summer dealing with her granddaughter who unexpectedly is spending time with her, wolves, old and new friends, and a treasure hunt related to John Dillinger. The book is delightful, and...more
Marie Goffard
Enjoyed the book. Brought back a lot of memories going to my Great Uncle and Great Aunt's cottage around the Crandon area.
Joleen
Sara Rath’s second Star Lake novel does a good job of showing both sides of such a timely, touchy issue in Wisconsin – wolves. (As the first one does with mining.) The Dillinger mystery, eccentric characters Ginger and Lily, unexpected love and family growth, all add a good balance to more serious topics like wolf and bear poaching to make an enjoyable novel set on a beautiful Northern Wisconsin lake. A great, quick read for a Wisconsin girl like me.
Kris
Mar 21, 2013 Kris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a really good book. I found out about this book in a newspaper article about Wisconsin authors, and then realized this was the second book. I enjoyed the first one too. It's fun to read books that take place in the state I live in. Sara Rath definitely has been up north. She does a great job writing what it's like to be up north, and it makes me want to go to my family's cottage. I hope she continues to write books in this series.
Linda
Not sure what is up here but the ISBN does not match my hardcover book, and when I put the one in that is on the book, I get another book by Sara Rath. Anyway a nice story of recovery from loss, a cheating husband, and low self esteem. Throw in some info on endangered wolves, bear hunting, John Dillinger, and the great northwoods of Wisconsin and you have a really interesting read.
Jessica
Realistic fiction. Takes place in Wisconsin's Northwoods. Natalie's plan to spend a relaxing summer alone at the cottage goes awry when her troubled fourteen year old granddaughter joins her. Friends, wolves, and the gangster, John Dillinger, all play a part in her summer adventure. A slow starter but charming.
Sandy Stevens
I greatly enjoyed this book. We vacationed in the Rhinelander the last 2 summers, so this was a fun read. I thought the author did a great job of describing the setting and developing like able characters.
Eleanor
This is a great book and relatable to people who know northern Minnesota/Wisconsin. It involves love, change, and hairbrained ideas that actually prove to be something great. Highly recommend it!
Rose Schneider
Enjoyed the tie in with Wisconsin, northwoods, Dillinger, the wolves, and the grandmother/granddaughter relationship. Short book. Good read!
Kelly
This book is very timely for Wisconsin right now. It talks of bear and wolf hunts and the strong feelings on both sides of that debate.
 Barb Bailey
I shelved this bok as chick lit....but found it interesting, humerous and entertaining. I really give it a 3.75 rating.
Judy
I enjoyed this book very much. It's a short read that had me waiting to read the next chapter.
Kara Ripley
Fun little summer read. A bit of heart and a bit of mystery. Nice.
Lafcadio
Lafcadio marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lacey Vertz
Lacey Vertz marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Lindsay Spivey
Lindsay Spivey marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Star Lake Saloon and Housekeeping Cottages: A Novel Night Sisters The Complete Cow True Cow Tales: Literary Sketches And Stories By Farmers, Ranchers, And Dairy Princesses The Complete Pig: An Entertaining History of Pigs of the World