Start by marking “The Wages of Fame” as Want to Read:
The Wages of Fame

The Wages of Fame

This sequel to "Remember the Morning, " set between 1827 and the onset of the Civil War, recounts the romantic and political exploits of Hugh Stapleton's grandson, George, and his powerful circle of friends.
Paperback
Published August 15th 1999 by Forge (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Wages of Fame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wages of Fame

Elaine Cougler
Aug 29, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it it was amazing
The Wages of Fame by Thomas Fleming kept me spellbound in Ireland and did the same for my husband. It is about the Stapleton family in pre Civil War America and a very good story. The political scene was very different in that time and that interested me as did the story of Caroline Stapleton as a political manipulator of the day. Great stuff!
Jean Perry
Jul 16, 2012 Jean Perry rated it really liked it
I had overdone mysteries, so as i walked by the "F" shelf of the library i stopped to take a look at Thomas Fleming's fiction section. He's an historian who writes great historical fiction, as well as non- fiction. I like him for several reasons: he often writes about NJ/NY history; he writes very strong woman characters, and he knows women's history; i know his historical facts are accurate; and he uses those vocabulary words we had in high school or college vocabulary tests. He uses words that ...more
B.
Dec 24, 2009 B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Although this was a continuation of the story of the Stapleton family from an earlier work, this novel was easily read as a stand alone book. I vacillated between giving this three and four stars; I would give it 3.5 but I don't know how to do half stars...The only reason I didn't give it four stars is because parts of the book moved really slowly for me, at times feeling more like a history textbook than a novel.
That said, I loved the narrative; Caroline was a fascinating character, and the a
Patricia
May 16, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
excellent historical novel from the prospective of a fame hungry woman who lusts for a place in the history books. Great characters, but a little too much political minutia at times, which took aways from the flow of the storyline.
Toni
Mar 21, 2010 Toni rated it liked it
Another political historical fiction. It was interesting but slow reading for me.
Suzanne Hlotke
Suzanne Hlotke rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Janine
Janine rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
S.
S. rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Elice Mcneely
Elice Mcneely rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Gerry Mills
Gerry Mills rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2016
David R. Traill
David R. Traill rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Miriam
Apr 11, 2017 Miriam rated it liked it
i would probably have enjoyed this more if i had read the first book in the series. however, strong women with staunchly held political beliefs are quite appealing. a good read; but, read the books in order.
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Susan Schneider
Susan Schneider rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Nazia Zennia
Nazia Zennia rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Gin Tadvick
Gin Tadvick rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2012
Patricia Lambrou
Patricia Lambrou rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Art
Art rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
J-walk
J-walk rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Maria McKenzie
Maria McKenzie rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2010
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2017
Thomas J. Fleming is an historian and historical novelist, with a special interest in the American Revolution. He was born in 1927 in Jersey City, New Jersey, the son of a World War I hero who was a leader in Jersey City politics for three decades. Before her marriage, his mother, Katherine Dolan Fleming, was a teacher in the Jersey City Public School System.

After graduating from St. Peter's Prepa
More about Thomas J. Fleming...